DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Personally, I don't have an issue with dividing movies into two parts, mostly because a night at the movies for me and the wife or me and a couple of our kids isn't that much relative to our income level.  I would prefer not to wait a year before movies.  

What I'd like to see studios do is release parts 1 and 2 at the same time, so that the audience still ends up paying to see twice to see both parts of the movie, but see the complete story on consecutive nights or the same weekend or whatever.  But a lot of people wouldn't/couldn't double up that way, so it would still end up affecting the bottom line.

In that scenario, theaters could have double features showing 1&2 back to back. Make it a package by throwing some trinkets and the like. 

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Don't watch the new GoTG trailer unless you want to see 75% of the movie in under five minutes.

I did get a kick out of Baby Groot punching the shit out of the catfish looking thingies for no reason and Rocket scolding him with, "NO, THEY DIDN'T LOOK AT YOU FUNNY~!"

Where is this trailer?

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Where is this trailer?

I can't find the extended trailer on the YouTubes, but this shorter trailer has the spot I was talking about.

There is a longer one where Star-Lord is teasing Rocket by making various earth references to a raccoon that Rocket does not recognize.

The directing team of Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (Mississippi Grind and several episodes of the Showtime series' Billions, The Big C, and The Affair) have been tapped to co-helm Captain Marvel.

First season of The Affair was okay-ish. Tried to start the second season, but I felt I'd seen enough of the show's one cool trick that was apparently way better in that Kurosawa flick. 

They could have easily kept my attention with more interaction between McNulty and Rawls.

Your move, Captain Marvel casting director. 

On 4/11/2017 at 4:28 AM, J.T. said:

I am so buzzed about Thor that I completely forgot that I heard zilch about the Black Panther joint. 

No leaked photos, nothing, and it's supposed to be released in less than a year.

The number of people in the YouTube comments that do not recognize The Immigrant Song by Led Zepplin is disheartening.  Fucking kids today, I swear..

Nine days later, the cast is posting pics from the wrap party.

Can't think of a major blockbuster to have so little leak from set recently tbh.

Spider-Man: Homecoming photos and spoiler details:

la-et-images-spider-man-homecoming-pictu

spiderman1.jpg

The Los Angeles Times shared a few details on the upgrades Tony Stark made to Peter Parker's suit, which include a recon drone, a GPS tracking system, an upgraded web shooter, explosive web snares, web wings, expressive eyes, and an auto-fit feature, amongst other surprises that fans will have to wait to discover in theaters. While chatting with director Jon Watts, they learned a little of the reasoning behind all these tech upgrades. “There’s actually a precedent for a lot of these ideas in these comics, In the very first issue of Spider-Man, there was one page dedicated to all the different things that Spider-Man can do with his webs. We would always joke about that because there’s web skis, and a web boat, and a web shield.” He elaborates on a few features and explains why we won't see the spider tracers before ending the chat with a tease of some of the web tricks Spidey's going to pull off. “We don’t go quite as far as having web skis... but you do get to see the webs doing more than just a regular strand.

While chatting with Entertainment Weekly, star Tom Holland touched on how Captain America: Civil War proved to be a valuable learning experience for him. "I was able to see how professional Chris Evans behaves, how Robert Downey Jr. is always on time and always prepared — it gave me a blueprint of what to do and how to act.” Watts added a little bit about his experience shooting the film and how one simple realization early on in production helped him weather the potentially overwhelming task at hand. “It’s still just one frame, one shot at a time. At the end of the day, it’s still just two hours, it’s still the fundamentals of storytelling even though the names are bigger and the budgets are higher. The same things that are important to a small movie are just as important on a big one.

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 10:26 AM, The Natural said:

la-et-images-spider-man-homecoming-pictu

I know this is nitpicky, but the purpose of this shot is to show Spidey is still a poor teen with his cracked iPhone. But why wouldn't Tony's SUPER DUPER Spider Suit have built in comms?  You can spend thousands of dollars for expressive eyes, but can't spare $15 for a Bluetooth earpiece? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know this is nitpicky, but the purpose of this shot is to show Spidey is still a poor teen with his cracked iPhone. But why wouldn't Tony's SUPER DUPER Spider Suit have built in comms?  You can spend thousands of dollars for expressive eyes, but can't spare $15 for a Bluetooth earpiece?

Yep. Least Spider-Man's kept his fucking mask on for once ; ).

Guardians 2 was released here in Australia last night, so I went along to one of the first screenings here in Melbourne.

Personally, I loved it. Possibly a bit biased due to my being a fanboy for the comics themselves, but it was a lot of fun. The art style was stunning and for me kinda reminded me of being a kid and seeing the sort of art I discovered reading old copies of Heavy Metal and 2000AD. Story wise, the two most engrossing characters for me were Yondu and Drax. Michael Rooker really brings the character to life and the side story of his involvement with The Ravagers and how it relates back to Peter himself is one of the strongest parts of the film. Also, Big Dave is fucking awesome in this, not as big a surprise after the first one but his comic timing is just perfect and he brings a lot of humanity and heart to what could be a very shallow character.

I could and probably will go see this at a cinema again and love it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

Guardians 2 was released here in Australia last night, so I went along to one of the first screenings here in Melbourne.

Personally, I loved it. Possibly a bit biased due to my being a fanboy for the comics themselves, but it was a lot of fun. The art style was stunning and for me kinda reminded me of being a kid and seeing the sort of art I discovered reading old copies of Heavy Metal and 2000AD. Story wise, the two most engrossing characters for me were Yondu and Drax. Michael Rooker really brings the character to life and the side story of his involvement with The Ravagers and how it relates back to Peter himself is one of the strongest parts of the film. Also, Big Dave is fucking awesome in this, not as big a surprise after the first one but his comic timing is just perfect and he brings a lot of humanity and heart to what could be a very shallow character.

I could and probably will go see this at a cinema again and love it.

Ha, me too, fellow Melbournian.

Marvel films that are better than this: First Guardians, the 3 Captain Americas, maybe the first Avengers.

Very solid outing. And jesus, that ending.......

10 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Ha, me too, fellow Melbournian.

Marvel films that are better than this: First Guardians, the 3 Captain Americas, maybe the first Avengers.

Very solid outing. And jesus, that ending.......

Ah awesome! It was really cool going to the screening All Star Comics put on, just a really fun laid back vibe.

I'd agree with your views, though I think on second viewing it might jump a bit higher.

And yeah, the ending was so good. Also the final scene of Kraglin may be the funniest laugh out loud scene Marvel has done since Hulk rag dolled the shit out of Loki.

Oops, guess I put this in the wrong thread.

I was a little bit worried about some of the early reactions for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.   But after seeing it, all I can say is, RIGHT IN THE FEELS!

I loved it.  Now, I imagine people's mileage will vary depending on their penchant for enjoying the Marvel/Guardians style and humor.  I think Gunn manages to balance it between the action and some genuinely dramatic and touching moments quite well.  Again, this movie gets you right in the feels multiple times.  There were multiple moments in the finale I thought were very touching and genuinely moving.

I could be wrong, but I felt like there was a moment meant to be an obvious callback to this shot in the Avengers, but done in the Guardians way:

4 hours ago, AxB said:

So to anyone who's already seen GotG2 (I'm going on Saturday), how many post-credits scenes are there?

There are five bits.  I guess it could technically be four depending on how you feel post-credit things work.