DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Black Panther is in Phase 3. Everything from Civil War to Infinity War and all the movies in between are Phase 3. Inhumans is likely to be in Phase 4, according to Feige.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Black Panther is in Phase 3. Everything from Civil War to Infinity War and all the movies in between are Phase 3. Inhumans is likely to be in Phase 4, according to Feige.

Wasn't Inhumans cancelled/taken off the schedule?

We've got Dr. Strange, Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Thor, and Black Panther all coming before the next full on Avengers film, the yet to be retitled Inifinity War Pt 1. All that is still Phase 3, yeah? After that, the only thing currently on deck before Infinity War Pt 2 is Ant Man and the Wasp and a long rumored Black Widow film. Hasn't Captain Marvel also been thrown about? Would those all be Phase 4? Or does Phase 3 go all the way through to the end of the two Infinity Wars films?

Phase 3 is:

Civil War

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Spider-Man

Thor: Ragnarok

Black Panther

Infinity War Part 1

Ant-Man & The Wasp

Captain Marvel

Infinity War Part 2

Kevin Feige said recently (this week?) that Inhumans will still be made because everyone at Marvel Studios loves the characters and the story, so it's likely to be in Phase 4.

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Given the character as is in the movie, i would have preferred they'd have used someone other than Zemo. Trying to think of a Cap villain you could have substituted. Maybe since he was masquerading as a psychiatrist, Faustus? 

Maybe just not kill Crossbones off so early and have him do it?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Casey said:

That's right, 2018 still just feels like an eternity to me.  I keep forgetting that Phase 3 just started.

The Zemo character simply could've been some dude like Aleksander Lukin or something.  Or converted one of the numerous Red Guardian alter egos into this character.  Making Bruhl Zemo for this story was a waste of Zemo.  

I don't think anything is confirmed for Phase IV.  Rumors are there will probably be a Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and I imagine there will be a Spider-Man sequel unless 'Homecoming' severely underperforms which I don't see it doing. 

The most interesting thing about Phase IV is how they play Iron Man and Cap.  I would think Downey Jr. and Chris Evans will be ready to move on by then.  Do they recast?  They don't really have to for Evans. Maybe you make Falcon or Bucky the new Cap. 

Maybe they don't replace Iron Man right away.  I could see Phase IV being built around Tom Holland and Chris Pratt.

I saw it tonight and liked it a lot.  I actually liked Zemo, even if he didn't "feel like Zemo" he was a much better villain than I expected.  I'm far more disappointed in Crossbones.

And for Phase IV, you have to presume that they PLAN on doing Captain Marvel, Dr Strange and Black Panther sequels unless the starter movies bomb.

They could do sequels for those but I'm just not sure you can build a Phase around those three characters. I know Iron Man and Cap weren't technically A-list prior to the MCU but they were still pretty well known. Very well known.  Black Panther is known I suppose.  Nobody I've talked to knows anything about Dr. Strange. It'll receive a Marvel bump at the box office and if word of mouth is strong it'll do really well. 

Also, they aren't characters that are as colorful as GOTG.  I think they could do some interesting stuff if they build around GOTG/Spider-Man at the top. 

Spider-Man and Guardians will probably be the backbones for Phase 4.   

I guess we'll see how serious they are about Black Widow the Movie.  

But who knows.  Maybe Strange or Panther are really going to take off.  Look at the behemoth that Guardians became.

Super excited about Michael B. Jordan joining Black Panther. He's one of my favorite younger actors right now. I think he has enough natural charisma to be better than other MCU villains if that's what he's playing.

And I'm in agreement with Captain Marvel. I also think it could be a huge movie, but I'm not thrilled with the possibility of Chloe Grace Moretz playing her. I just don't enjoy her work like others do.

8 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Or Iron Man. He certainly wasn't an A-Level character when that film kicked off this whole thing 8 years ago.

Iron Man and Cap were both well known though.  Guardians certainly were not but they are a colorful collection of characters.  I think Black Panther will do well. I think Dr. Strange will do well. I'm not sure either would end up at the top of the card for the MCU. I think if Downey leaves they build around Pratt and Holland.

Everything about Panther in CW feels designed to make people want to see him solo.  It worked on *me*, but I've been a fan of the character for nearly 20 years and just wanted to know that they'd treat him right.  Will the rest of the world follow? I don't know, but I hope they do.

I would guess we see some MCU guest star in the BP movie. We know Bucky is there in stasis. Possible Falcon, Hawkeye and Ant Man stay in Wakanda as "guests of the state".  Maybe even a brief cap cameo.