DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Ant-Man & The Wasp was fucking awesome.  Not every threat in a Marvel movie has to hold the world for ransom for the story to be acceptable.  Everyone in the cast put in a decent enough performance to keep shit rolling and Rudd and Lilly have chemistry for days.

I also loved Scott explaining the perils of the superhero life to his kid.  Keeping a secret identity really does mean telling a lot of lies to the people you love and it was cool to see that Scott had problems with that.  He always wants to be honest with his daughter.

Scott's kid being proud of him anyway for just being a decent guy trying to help people fucking ruled. 

The Ghost = Baba Yaga scene and the THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TRUTH SERUM debate = million billion stars.  Indian Truth Serum Henchman Dude nearly stole every scene from Walter Goggins and Randall Park who relentlessly chewed on scenery every chance they got.

Oh, and:

Spoiler

The ending was a little too deus ex machine for me, but I was happy to see that Ava / Ghost survived to maybe turn her shit around and be a superhero if she can manage to control her powers.  I could use a Hannah John-Kamen superhero vehicle.

The mid-credit scene floored me and my kid.  THEY JUST RESCUED JANET AND NOWS SHE'S ASH~?? WHAT THE FUCK~??

• Like 2

Saw Ant-man and Wasp earlier today. Loved every bit of it. Even knowing it was coming that mid-credits scene felt cold. I liked this one way more than the first, and I dug the first movie a decent bit.

Ant-Man and Wasp made me really happy.  The rhythm of the action and comedy felt almost like a 90s or early-aughts Disney family adventure but with adults in the roles of the teenage kids, which worked for me way better than I expected.  Hank getting to be a much more complicated and ambiguous person than the first movie's "grumpy, distant dad" was awesome, the fights and car chase did a wonderful job of applying the shrink/grow tech in fun ways, and it was just generally exactly what I needed in my brain today.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, and that 90-second flashback villain was something I seem to have been the only one in my screening to pick up on, and I laughed hard enough to have to explain it to my GF.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, and that 90-second flashback villain was something I seem to have been the only one in my screening to pick up on, and I laughed hard enough to have to explain it to my GF.

I can only hope it was 

Spoiler

The Human Eraser

15 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I think they just tried that a week or two ago with not much success. 

Huh, I guess they did. Got 25 grand out of being in 154 theaters. Still needs another 44,000 and change.

It's really meaningless whether or not it gets there, but Disney pretty much forced A Wrinkle In Time to $100 million by sheer force of will earlier this year.

7 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I just rewatched all three, but I think Thor Ragnarok, Avengers Infinity War and Ant Man and the Wasp might be the strongest trio that Marvel has put out.

Black Panther came after Ragnarok, though. Wouldn't the actual "trio" be Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity War?

My son and I went to see Ant-man and the Wasp last night and I walked away pretty impressed. After the intergalactic funeral dirge that was Infinity War, it was a nice palette cleanser: a sweet-hearted, funny, action packed superhero movie that had more personal goals than "save the universe". Though if the black market dealer had gotten his hands on the lab, who knows what could have happened?

Rudd, Lilly and Douglas played off of each other really well and it helped build up the relationships between all three characters. Great supporting characters, as well.

I really liked their portrayal of Ghost. I'm a fan of the Thunderbolts version of Ghost and the AATW version is right up there. Again, personal goals in wanting to save herself instead of grabbing for power using her powers.

And then the mid-credits scene... even though it was fairly obvious, I audibly said "No... no, no, no."

So, I was thinking today.  The psychological after effects of The Snap.

Will Scarlet Witch really want to be restored from the Snap and live in a world where The Vision is permanently dead? Killed once by her and a second time by Thanos, no less.

Will she remember what happened prior to the Snap?  How will her mental state hold up as she grieves for The Vision?  

Will Wanda go batshit crazy and will we get an Scarlet Witch heel turn along the lines of Avengers Disassembled in a future Avengers installment?

I mean, the only thing missing from the setup for Batshit Wanda at this point is that her and Vision didn't have kids to get erased yet.  But since her power seems to be growing each movie, I figure she's the ultimate tool to for an eventual reboot.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

But since her power seems to be growing each movie, I figure she's the ultimate tool to for an eventual reboot.

I've seen this suggested before, but it seems unlikely. Number one, she's nowhere near that powerful, either in the comics or in the MCU so far. Number two, the plot of Infinity War already revolves around a macguffin that grants complete omnipotence. Why would they use Wanda for a reset when the Infinity Gauntlet is in play?

My Sister's not much of a film person but she watched Thor: Ragnarok as I had it on and right enjoyed it. One of the best MCU films for how funny it is, the performances and the music. MCU music varies in quality. Thor: Ragnarok sits just outside my top five.

• Like 1