DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Steve Englehart had some interesting things to say about Mantis. About how he thought the performance was great, the character was interesting... And how he was not at all happy because she had nothing to do with Mantis.

I suppose Ego's planet hopping could explained the existence of a Vietnamese woman on the edge of known space, but why bother?  Mantis being an alien wasn't so detracting that it fucked up the story.

My problem was that she was the lone waif in a story with two other very driven female archetypes and that did a real disservice to Steve Englehart's original character. 

Old school Mantis could KO Thor with one precise strike while this new version relies on Drax for protection.

It would've been nice for new Mantis to also possess the martial arts skill set of old Mantis so she would've had a bit more to offer to the story than comedy relief via her social awkwardness or have her powers used as a running gag.

Well, it's looking more and more likely that the assistant BBEGs for Infinity War and the supplemental finale will the Black Order / Cult Obsidian.. 

Spoiler

A leaked photo from the set of IW that appears to be a mocap actor providing the action for Corvus Glave.

gallery-1491474763-the-avengers-infinity

gallery-1491305762-corvus-glaive-earth-6

It also looks like the folks at Marvel will tie Guardians of the Galaxy together to the MCU by having the Black Order be made up of the other "adopted children" of Thanos, so they will share a bond with Gamora and Nebula.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, it's looking more and more likely that the assistant BBEGs for Infinity War and the supplemental finale will the Black Order / Cult Obsidian.. 

Reveal hidden contents

A leaked photo from the set of IW that appears to be a mocap actor providing the action for Corvus Glave.

gallery-1491474763-the-avengers-infinity

gallery-1491305762-corvus-glaive-earth-6

It also looks like the folks at Marvel will tie Guardians of the Galaxy together to the MCU by having the Black Order be made up of the other "adopted children" of Thanos, so they will share a bond with Gamora and Nebula.

This makes sense. I kind of liked the Black Order as Thano's Horsemen. Hopefully they are used decently.

• 2 weeks later...

Papa Feige said that the Homecoming sequel will be the next movie following the untitled Avengers follow-up to Infinity War, and "those movies will launch him off into a very new cinematic universe at that point."

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Meh not that funny.  The jokes are getting old. 

Old but 100% accurate.  I was pissed to see Stark all over the posters front and center and all over the trailers.. this should first and foremost be Spider-Man's film.  But it's unfair to say it won't be as I haven't seen it yet. I don't want Spidey's intelligence undercooked to make it seem like Stark has all the answers. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Old but 100% accurate.  I was pissed to see Stark all over the posters front and center and all over the trailers.. this should first and foremost be Spider-Man's film.  But it's unfair to say it won't be as I haven't seen it yet. I don't want Spidey's intelligence undercooked to make it seem like Stark has all the answers.

We agree.

First reactions to Spider-Man: Homecoming very positive:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/homecoming/spider-man-homecoming-first-reactions-are-spectacular-easily-the-best-spider-man-movie-since-spider-man-2-a151978

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it'll probably be between 85-90% on RT.  There has to be enough good to outweigh whatever issues there might be.  Holland seems pretty good 

80-88% is my guess. I've a feeling the film will have problems (Iron Man use, Spider-Man's secret identity found out by X amount of people, Spidey unmasked) but the positives should override them. I really liked Tom Holland's debut as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

43 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I never trust early reactions.

I take 'em with a pinch of salt...or more than ; )

• Like 1

My biggest concern is any undermining of Peter's intelligence and/or Stark telling him what to do instead of Peter putting it together himself. That's why despite how much I like Holland and trust that the movie will be solid,  I am doubting it can reach Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 levels of awesomeness. 

• Like 1

On 2017-6-25 at 2:09 AM, TheVileOne said:

Seeing it Wednesday, so we shall see.  Maybe I'm too old, but I don't want millennial Spider garbage shoved down my throat.  

Cutoff for Millennials is 95 average, 2000 at latest so a teenage Peter Parker right now would actually be post-Millennial. Not that any of that will make you feel younger.

Also sure do love how NuPeter is a kid living so poor he dumpster dives computer parts yet hero worships a trust fund baby millionaire. Real weird implications if you think about it.

So the Spidey movie is getting better than usual reviews from sites I tend to trust more. I'm actually getting a bit excited.

Also Hannibal Buress sent a lookalike, who was basically just another bald black dude that doesn't even really look like him, to the Homecoming premiere in his place and a ton of official media interviewed him as Burress without realizing, which is maybe the funniest thing I can think of a celeb doing in recent memory.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 3:57 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So the Spidey movie is getting better than usual reviews from sites I tend to trust more. I'm actually getting a bit excited.

Also Hannibal Buress sent a lookalike, who was basically just another bald black dude that doesn't even really look like him, to the Homecoming premiere in his place and a ton of official media interviewed him as Burress without realizing, which is maybe the funniest thing I can think of a celeb doing in recent memory.

To be fair, is Hannibal Buress famous enough that random entertainment reporters would recognize him?

He's most known for outing Cosby isn't he?

On 29/06/2017 at 8:57 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Mark Morrison (from the 90s) sent a lookalike to do his community service after he was found guilty of affray in a court of law. He also responded to his sentencing by saying "Only God can judge me", thus inspiring an awful lot of terrible tattoos. Many of which are in a gothic script and actually say Fudge. Only God can Fudge Me.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Marvel just announced easter egg (or, more accurately, retconned this moment).  The kid is Peter Parker:

You can now add this to Black Widow's debut and the post-credits Mjolnir as the only good things from Iron Man 2.