DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I agree with that. Marvel Studios has picked up it's villains game since then with Vulture, Hela, Kilmonger and Thanos in a row. Thanos the best of the lot.

Agreed, though I'll note that only half of those people survived their first movie. So they're still not doing a great of building up a stable of villains they can reuse.

But then, one could argue that the movie model doesn't require recurring villains as much as a monthly comic does.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 3:20 AM, tbarrie said:

It's a great scene, but it kind of emphasizes how poor a job the MCU had done to that point establishing villains: the only way they could do a giant super battle was to make it hero vs hero.

I guess, but the entire point of the MCU Civil War was hero vs hero. So I’m not sure what “they do a bad job with villains” has to do with anything.

• 3 weeks later...

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11/05/heroes-more-violent-villains-thanos-did-nothing-wrong/

This may be the biggest hot take of all the hot takes..."Thanos did Nothing Wrong."

So, murdering both of his daughters' entire species before torturing them and forcing them to repeatedly fight to the near death, is A-OK.  Then murdering your favorite daughter to gain some shiny rock, that's perfectly fine.  Murdering 1/2 of all life in the universe, who hasn't done that?

The hero murder's committed to villain murders committed seems really off.

Are those idiots counting The Snap genocide as a single homicide?  And that is only one of three genocides we actually get to see in the movie (Asgardians, Gamora's people, Half Of the Population Of the Milky fucking Way) that Thanos is directly responsible for.

I think they're adding up every onscreen kill from the previous movies. Because if it doesn't happen onscreen, it doesn't happen.

How many people did Hydra kill offscreen in Cap: TFA? Because they don't count. How many lives did Cap save in Winter Soldier? Well, if he'd let them die, he'd be more heroic by comparison, apparently. It's a load of bollocks, basically.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...