DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 6/8/2018 at 2:47 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Matt and I were having a discussion about how Carol's black outfit wasn't sexist because it wouldn't feel out of place on a male character during the time it debuted.  It's just that artists more recently have whittled away at the costume overall and then you end up with an extreme hi-cut version of french cut legs and giant breasts with the outfit painted on.

I'm gonna need to see your work on this one.  I can't recall any version of Carol's black/dark blue outfit that wouldn't have looked ridiculous adapted to a male character,.  Until recent all of Carol's looks were kinda sexist (I dislike hate her original costume, which is basically a knockoff of Capt. Marvel's red-blue outfit - but with a bare midriff and bikini bottoms.  Though, admittedly, the costume wasn't as bad as her awful 70's perm).

On 6/13/2018 at 12:04 AM, JonnyLaw said:

I like how you only said longer gloves, since they’re both wearing (basically) thigh high boots.

In the case of Colossus, boots with belts on them, at that.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Here's my math.  Carol's Black outfit is a version of Colossus' best costumes with longer gloves.

Reveal hidden contents

colossus.gif57c25c7cf0b5df8cc9f05ae08aa0454f.pngcock-colossus.jpg

Inventive use of a mirror to get boobs and butt in the same shot 20 years before Liefeld

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting looking at that image and seeing how off they were on just about every movie. I also wonder if it would have been a better idea to get Captain Marvel out before Infinity War.

• Like 1

Ah yes, Homecoming pushed Ragnarok and Black Panther back a slot, then the surprising B.O.  of Ant-Man pushed Captain Marvel back another slot for a sequel.  I guess they just killed the November release this year.

4 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Ah yes, Homecoming pushed Ragnarok and Black Panther back a slot, then the surprising B.O.  of Ant-Man pushed Captain Marvel back another slot for a sequel.  I guess they just killed the November release this year.

The animated Spider-man is sort of a thing?

It was always Civil War. The Serpent Society thing was a joke. At that announcement event, they didn't want to spoil the big Civil War announcement, so they used "Serpent Society" in the schedule as a gag and to throw people off.

I doubt Feige has ever had a reason to be reactionary to anything DC/WB was doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

Here's my math.  Carol's Black outfit is a version of Colossus' best costumes with longer gloves.

Hide contents

colossus.gif57c25c7cf0b5df8cc9f05ae08aa0454f.pngcock-colossus.jpg

So firstly, accurate.

Secondly, that mirror shot is HORRIFYING. It looks like she's been contorted like twisting Laffy Taffy in defiance of a skeleton. Christ.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:15 AM, Craig H said:

It was always Civil War. The Serpent Society thing was a joke. At that announcement event, they didn't want to spoil the big Civil War announcement, so they used "Serpent Society" in the schedule as a gag and to throw people off.

I doubt Feige has ever had a reason to be reactionary to anything DC/WB was doing.

Russo Brothers have said in interviews they think Civil War was greenlit because of the BvS announcement.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Russo Brothers have said in interviews they think Civil War was greenlit because of the BvS announcement.

Kevin Feige has been quoted in interviews saying that Civil War had always been greenlit as the Winter Soldier sequel and that the Serpent Society title was thrown up there for laughs.

When people actually got excited about the Serpent Society appearing in a movie, he kept the idea in his back pocket for future development  So it is still possible that the Serpent Society could appear as the antagonists in a Post-IW Marvel film..

The "inessential" nature of it frankly helped make it for me. It was past time for them to do a movie that was more than just a pot boiler for the larger plot - and also a movie that was less than that. It was a good reminder that the stakes don't have to be gargantuan for there to be real emotional impact. Sometimes all it takes is wanting to see a loved one again, or to not be in constant pain. Those are fairly universal goals. 

But yeah, really funny. Not that anyone else in the theater got it but 

Spoiler

Walton Goggins getting Luis'd was priceless because all I could think was, "How does it feel now, Boyd Crowder!!"

Also, I'm rather pissed they 

Spoiler

wasted Jimmy Woo like that. Not that I'm expecting an Agents of Atlas movie, but really? That???

• Like 1