DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Not even a line, but just the pitch perfect Tony staring off into the distance realizing he's on an alien planet about to fight the most powerful being in the universe with everything at stake, and he's the closest thing to an adult in the room while everyone else is as flippant with him as he normally is with others. RDJ plays it on both levels, as a visual joke and a moment of growth. 

• Like 1

I just got back from the theater.  This and GOTG are the only MCU movies I've seen in a theater and I think this was my favorite.  With so many characters it would be tough to get all of them a decent amount of screen time, but this passed with flying colors.  I almost want to say it was like booking Survivor Series with three or four really good matches and giving the guys in each match ample time to get their shit in. The various characters' interactions with eachother were honestly the best part of this.  There was just the right amount of comedy to intersperse some levity between the more dramatic scenes.  The action segments were fantastic in that there wasn't just a bunch of shit flying around the screen with no clear view of what was happening.  I didn't think Thanos' henchmen came off as jobbers as they typically took multiple faces to take down and were capable of handling several of the Avengers in a one on one situation.  The telekinesis guy was especially good.

Spoiler

Echoing most of the sentiment about figuring most of the dusted characters would come back part way through the second movie.

For those of you who are familiar with the source material, is there any chance Gammora became one with the soul stone after her death and somehow haunts Thanos or becomes a voice in his head type of deal?  I also figured Dr. Strange is also in some other realm and an active participant until his resurrection.

• Like 1

Okay, it's been a week now so I can say this now:  I know I wasn't the only one completely out on the Vision plot right?  I didn't care about for the Vision/Scarlett Witch relationship developments, and I didn't buy the debate on whether

they should destroy the stone and sacrifice Vision.  I guess I'm cold, but I didn't get why it was up for a long drawn out debate.  The team not wanting to sacrifice him (the wording from Cap was something about sacrificing one life is too big of a price? refresh my memory) became even more strange to me because in a few scenes later, Wakandans are on Earth battling and likely dying on to protect it.  Maybe I missed something and someone can explain the movie's reasoning better, but I wasn't feeling Vision's plot on my initial viewing.  Tony can buy another 2nd-rate Vision anyway, right? Half joking.  I'll check it out again and see how it plays on second viewing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I liked when Ultron looked like Ultron.  When he "evolved" to look like a CGI mess with lips and a perfectly clear human voice, it was just shitty. 

Bingo.  That was rough.   Also,  I'm not trying to pile on Joss Whedon but I was listening to a pod on The Ringer earlier and they made a great point.  The Russos found ways to up the tension in a lot of these scenes so they don't just come off like "oh here's another city blowing up."   The scene where it gets all quiet and the camera follows Tony outside and the aftermath was chilling as fuck..  like a horror movie. They said it made Avengers look like a B movie basically.  I won't go that far but I understand it. 

Avengers Infinity War is an impossible movie to make and not only did the Russos make it....  it was excellent.  That's why it's in my top 3.   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Okay, it's been a week now so I can say this now:  I know I wasn't the only one completely out on the Vision plot right?  I didn't care about for the Vision/Scarlett Witch relationship developments, and I didn't buy the debate on whether

Hide contents

they should destroy the stone and sacrifice Vision.  I guess I'm cold, but I didn't get why it was up for a long drawn out debate.  The team not wanting to sacrifice him (the wording from Cap was something about sacrificing one life is too big of a price? refresh my memory) became even more strange to me because in a few scenes later, Wakandans are on Earth battling and likely dying on to protect it.  Maybe I missed something and someone can explain the movie's reasoning better, but I wasn't feeling Vision's plot on my initial viewing.  Tony can buy another 2nd-rate Vision anyway, right? Half joking.  I'll check it out again and see how it plays on second viewing.

In Cap's mind, it's one thing to die fighting the good fight, but he's not willing to trade lives. If Vision died in the fight, that's one thing, but essentially committing suicide? Not on Steve's watch. You can feel he's wrong (and the movie makes a decent argument he is) but that's very true to his character.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Reveal hidden contents

Echoing most of the sentiment about figuring most of the dusted characters would come back part way through the second movie.

For those of you who are familiar with the source material, is there any chance Gammora became one with the soul stone after her death and somehow haunts Thanos or becomes a voice in his head type of deal?  I also figured Dr. Strange is also in some other realm and an active participant until his resurrection.

Spoiler

I haven't read the book on years but from what I recall it was Adam Warlock who had control over the soul gem and saved those forthe final fight.  I can't remember Dr. Strange's role in it though. 

Obviously they're not going that route but it's very possible they could have Gamora in that role 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I just got back from the theater.  This and GOTG are the only MCU movies I've seen in a theater and I think this was my favorite.  With so many characters it would be tough to get all of them a decent amount of screen time, but this passed with flying colors.  I almost want to say it was like booking Survivor Series with three or four really good matches and giving the guys in each match ample time to get their shit in. The various characters' interactions with eachother were honestly the best part of this.  There was just the right amount of comedy to intersperse some levity between the more dramatic scenes.  The action segments were fantastic in that there wasn't just a bunch of shit flying around the screen with no clear view of what was happening.  I didn't think Thanos' henchmen came off as jobbers as they typically took multiple faces to take down and were capable of handling several of the Avengers in a one on one situation.  The telekinesis guy was especially good.

Hide contents

Regarding the thing you bring up in your spoiler...

Spoiler

You may br right, especially because we see young Gamora appearing before Thanos after he does the deed.  Maybe that's Gamora, as you say, staying with him from inside the soul stone.

• Like 1

Yeah.

Spoiler

The people that "died" during the Snap can probably be restored by the Infinity Gauntlet since their deaths were unnatural. 

People like Loki, Gamora, and the Vision that perished through normal means (violent though the were) are probably forever dead. 

This adds even more substance to the theory that thanks to the Eye of Agamotto,  Dr. Strange knows what's up and has already set things into motion.  He knows the Snap can be undone and also realizes that Tony has to survive the Snap in order for Thanos to be defeated. 

That's why he voluntarily handed the Time Stone over to Thanos in exchange for Tony's life.

Since Thanos had to sacrifice Gamora in order to gain possession of the Soul Stone, her soul is probably now resident inside of the gem and the scenes where Thanos talks to Gamora as a child probably take place inside of the pocket realm inside of the Soul Stone as per the comics.

• Like 4