DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Seen the film? Read the original basis? The easter egg from Guardians? Or are you just trolling me now?

Why don’t you type out your thoughts instead of just posting a link to a story where all they say is, “We never considered Warlock and thought about a giant snake instead. Hey, Warlock will be in a future GotG movie by the way.”

re: Warlock.

My 16 year old kid who I made read Infinity Gauntlet maybe when Avengers 1 came out but otherwise has no real idea who Warlock was had been watching youtube theories for years on where the soul stone was (Heimdall's eyes!), and he started going on and on about "Him" and about how he'd probably have the soul stone. I had to explain that 1.) Gunn said he wouldn't show up again until the next Guardians movie and 2.) That they weren't going to introduce something like that in this movie because it wouldn't be playing fair. 

I thought the Skull reveal was downright brilliant because it disappointed those people who have been theorizing this for years, sure, but it gave them a consolation prize. This was pretty much the key emotional moment of the movie. Thanos is your protagonist and it's when he sacrifices what he loves to achieve his goal. But in the end, the stone's just on some random planet. It felt a lot like the moment in Last Jedi where he reveals that her parents were nobodies. It was a huge, key emotional moment, one that was inevitable for everything that came before and inevitable for everything to come, but the hardcores got no real consolation prize there. Here, we got Red Skull and it was perfect. A bit of fan service to help everyone swallow the necessary pill.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why don’t you type out your thoughts instead of just posting a link to a story where all they say is, “We never considered Warlock and thought about a giant snake instead. Hey, Warlock will be in a future GotG movie by the way.”

I already mentioned my thoughts on this earlier which you trolled. You clearly have anger and aggression issues, especially when someone says something mean about Seth Rollins, and I'd prefer to not discuss with you further. Thank you and goodbye.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:
  Hide contents

I think this is clearly what happened.  He promised to let Stark and a kid die before giving up the time stone, and then he ends up giving it up in exchange for making sure Stark is spared.  When Stark asks why, the response was “This was the only way...”

Spoiler

Maybe someone in here can clear this up for me but I thought he said “There was no other way” ,which at the time I took to indicate when he watched all the outcomes he lied about the one way and was basically saving Tony because he knew he wouldn’t just fade away like the others. Of course after the mass fade aways I knew how things will play out in the future and I more inclined now to believe the “Stark needs to be alive in the one scenario Strange saw them winning” theory.  

Spoiler

I loved Thor being able to speak groot’s language and when their leaving in the pod him casually saying “goodbye morons” while not knowing what a moron is, is the kind of humor I expect from Thor. 

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Hide contents

re: Warlock.

My 16 year old kid who I made read Infinity Gauntlet maybe when Avengers 1 came out but otherwise has no real idea who Warlock was had been watching youtube theories for years on where the soul stone was (Heimdall's eyes!), and he started going on and on about "Him" and about how he'd probably have the soul stone. I had to explain that 1.) Gunn said he wouldn't show up again until the next Guardians movie and 2.) That they weren't going to introduce something like that in this movie because it wouldn't be playing fair. 

I thought the Skull reveal was downright brilliant because it disappointed those people who have been theorizing this for years, sure, but it gave them a consolation prize. This was pretty much the key emotional moment of the movie. Thanos is your protagonist and it's when he sacrifices what he loves to achieve his goal. But in the end, the stone's just on some random planet. It felt a lot like the moment in Last Jedi where he reveals that her parents were nobodies. It was a huge, key emotional moment, one that was inevitable for everything that came before and inevitable for everything to come, but the hardcores got no real consolation prize there. Here, we got Red Skull and it was perfect. A bit of fan service to help everyone swallow the necessary pill.

No Lady Death, No Adam Warlock, No Silver Surfer. Just feels super underwhelming if the next edition is just Captain Marvel turns up and does what the 30 other superheroes couldn't. Roll credits.

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

No Death was an improvement. Thanos is a whiny bitch for 2/3rds of Infinity Gauntlet. We knew Surfer wasn't coming. They don't have the rights to him. The next movie is going to be all about the Tony/Steve reconciliation, Hulk finding his confidence, Hawkeye coming in as Ronin (maybe after his family fades away), Rocket dealing with his loss (maybe), Ant-Man/Wasp stepping up, Widow doing something? Thor finding his destiny, Cap sacrificing himself, maybe? Some big fight scenes with Carol, sure. Maaaaybe Nebula getting the gauntlet and throwing it back to her time in torture like in the comic. When they beat Thanos it'll be with words, not fists. In general, you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment and a story that is very different than what they're trying to tell.

You're like me getting frustrated every year that they don't diverge from the plan for Mania and have 10 random surprises at the Rumble and switch everything up to make it more interesting at the February PPV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Hide contents

No Death was an improvement. Thanos is a whiny bitch for 2/3rds of Infinity Gauntlet. We knew Surfer wasn't coming. They don't have the rights to him. The next movie is going to be all about the Tony/Steve reconciliation, Hulk finding his confidence, Hawkeye coming in as Ronin (maybe after his family fades away), Rocket dealing with his loss (maybe), Ant-Man/Wasp stepping up, Widow doing something? Thor finding his destiny, Cap sacrificing himself, maybe? Some big fight scenes with Carol, sure. Maaaaybe Nebula getting the gauntlet and throwing it back to her time in torture like in the comic. When they beat Thanos it'll be with words, not fists. In general, you're setting yourself up for huge disappointment and a story that is very different than what they're trying to tell.

You're like me getting frustrated every year that they don't diverge from the plan for Mania and have 10 random surprises at the Rumble and switch everything up to make it more interesting at the February PPV.

Agreed re lack of Death being a good thing, and what will comprise the key elements of the sequel. I'm just worried about the motives for why they're switching up the source material, rather than being insistent on it being as was - if its' purely to push the Captain Marvel bandwagon, it seems unnecessary. It'll be big regardless. And as mentioned earlier, the (unlikely) prospect of shoehorning X-Men or Wolverine into things, as cool as it was to get Spidey shoehorned into Civil War, it really didn't fit. Especially if the majority of it has already been shot. 

No Warlock after they've sorta debuted him at the end of first Guardians, I feel like you're taking a lot off the table in the way of future Dr. Strange storylines, or even Thanos if they keep him around, just to do a fairly mediocre Guardians film.

37 minutes ago, Zartan said:
  Hide contents

Maybe someone in here can clear this up for me but I thought he said “There was no other way” ,which at the time I took to indicate when he watched all the outcomes he lied about the one way and was basically saving Tony because he knew he wouldn’t just fade away like the others. Of course after the mass fade aways I knew how things will play out in the future and I more inclined now to believe the “Stark needs to be alive in the one scenario Strange saw them winning” theory.  

Hide contents

I loved Thor being able to speak groot’s language and when their leaving in the pod him casually saying “goodbye morons” while not knowing what a moron is, is the kind of humor I expect from Thor. 

I think you’re right about the exact wording.

I think this is a top 3 Marvel movie for me.  I don't want to beat a dead horse about previous Avengers movies. To me this was by far the best team up movie and I would rank it up there with Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Iron Man.  This was an incredibly difficult movie to pull off and the Russos fucking nailed it man.  They did a great job of balancing the cast so that pretty much everyone had a moment and they actually elevated characters also such as Doctor Strange and even Thor.  I thought this was Hemsworth's best performance. Villains are also extremely important to me and Thanos had clear motivations and a lot of depth to the character. 

19 movies in and it's hard to argue MVP.  I think Downey Jr. is probably still the MVP but I'd honestly vote for Chris Evans at this point and Hemsworth is making a late run at it.  All fantastic actors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

If the Fox/Disney deal is done by next year, I am setting myself up for disappointment by expecting Silver Surfer to be in the post-credit scene as a herald for Galactus.  

It’ll be done next year according to Feige, but then he said don’t expect those properties to be incorporated into the MCU for another few years after that.

He could be blowing smoke, though.

The deal might not be done until Avengers 4 is already out in theaters.  

Ant-Man came out post Sony/Marvel deal for Spider-Man, and there was that one throwaway line about someone walking on walls. So don't hold your breaths. 

Basically, we can't see anything X-Men/Mutants/Silver Surfer/FF related until 2020 at the EARLIEST.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think this is clearly what happened.  He promised to let Stark and a kid die before giving up the time stone, and then he ends up giving it up in exchange for making sure Stark is spared.  When Stark asks why, the response was “This was the only way...”

Spoiler

True, because everything else falls into place when Tony does not turn into ash after The Snap. 

Clearly, Dr. Strange knows that three of the elements necessary to bring about the one future timeline where Thanos is ultimately defeated are

1. Stark being alive.
  2. Dr. Strange VOLUNTARILY giving up the Time Stone.
  3. Thanos achieving his goal.

I'll wager that a few of those futures where the Avengers failed had something to do with Thanos taking the Time Stone by force and killing Stark, Strange, Peter, and the Guardians in the process..

• Like 1

Spoiler

Assuming she's still alive (Which I think she is), Shuri, Rocket, and Bruce are all in Wakanda. That's a lot of brain power with Wakanda technology. Plus, Thor has Stormbreaker, which would allow him to Bifrost Tony and Nebula to Earth (maybe Valkyrie?)

11 minutes ago, RonL21 said:
  Hide contents

Assuming she's still alive (Which I think she is), Shuri, Rocket, and Bruce are all in Wakanda. That's a lot of brain power with Wakanda technology. Plus, Thor has Stormbreaker, which would allow him to Bifrost Tony and Nebula to Earth (maybe Valkyrie?)

Spoiler

Tony and Nebula are totally off the grid though, unless one of them can figure out how to beam a signal to earth and have it not take forever to get there then I'm not sure how else Shuri (I saw she was still alive), Bruce, Thor, etc. can get Nebula and Tony back to Earth.

Valkyrie, who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if she never shows up again unless they have her be part of the team in GotG 3.

13 minutes ago, RonL21 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

That's fine, except Thor has no idea Tony and Nebula are on Titan.  I could see him getting Valkyrie, while Tony and Nebula do make their way to the others (the Milano is still on Titan since that's how the Guardians got there, so it's not far off that they'd use that to get to wherever Thanos is.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:
  Hide contents

That's fine, except Thor has no idea Tony and Nebula are on Titan.  I could see him getting Valkyrie, while Tony and Nebula do make their way to the others (the Milano is still on Titan since that's how the Guardians got there, so it's not far off that they'd use that to get to wherever Thanos is.

Spoiler

I thought I remembered the Milano getting trashed, but maybe that's because everything else on Titan is junk.

Also, one last complaint and this is super nitpicky, but it's annoying how all of these alien races can speak perfect English. I'm sure they know that not everyone wants to read subtitles and all of these dudes speak English in the comics, but damn, everyone sounds like they're from the midwest or the UK. There's no in between.

One weighted criticism:

Quill being willing to kill Gamora
Wanda being willing to kill Vision
Thanos killing Gamora
Strange saying he would let Tony/Peter die and then going against that

Gamora not allowing Nebula to suffer. 
Loki not letting Thor die

It's a lot of going to the same well for one movie, even if the two in bold were key moments that were somewhat bolstered by the rest.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Raziel said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler
Spoiler

They could send a distress signal from Titan and Rocket would have to find a way to pick it up from Earth. He'd have plenty and tech and help to do so. Granted I have no idea how all this is coming together. I'm just throwing stuff out there like everyone else

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

One weighted criticism:

Hide contents

Quill being willing to kill Gamora
Wanda being willing to kill Vision
Thanos killing Gamora
Strange saying he would let Tony/Peter die and then going against that

Gamora not allowing Nebula to suffer. 
Loki not letting Thor die

It's a lot of going to the same well for one movie, even if the two in bold were key moments that were somewhat bolstered by the rest.

Going along with that, my biggest criticism is

Spoiler

Trying to save Vision because "we don't trade lives," but allowing all those Wakandans to die in his defense. Seems especially stomach-turny considering this is probably the exact reason they never opened themselves to the world before.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dog said:

Going along with that, my biggest criticism is

Hide contents

Trying to save Vision because "we don't trade lives," but allowing all those Wakandans to die in his defense. Seems especially stomach-turny considering this is probably the exact reason they never opened themselves to the world before.

Some of the Wakandans were hoping for the Olympics and a Starbucks.

• Like 5