DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Here's the difference. Guardians of the Galaxy make jokes, like Spider-Man, it' never intended to be more than that.

Ultron isn't a jokey villain and the avengers shouldn't be joking around while civilians are slaughtered. There's a time and a place and those movies couldn't figure that out.

Black Panther and Winter Soldier didn't go down that road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Here's the difference. Guardians of the Galaxy make jokes, like Spider-Man, it' never intended to be more than that.

Ultron isn't a jokey villain and the avengers shouldn't be joking around while civilians are slaughtered. There's a time and a place and those movies couldn't figure that out.

Black Panther and Winter Soldier didn't go down that road.

Do you mean like how the Avengers were making funny little quips during their first movie while fighting those aliens at the end? Because that’s like a signature thing for them.

13 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I like how Roland hated the Eric Bana Hulk movie (which I actually still kinda like) so much that he blocked out them making a second, arguably worse Hulk movie that is an official member of the MCU (and constantly fistfights in my head with The Dark World as to which one is the worst MCU entry). It's also not the worst from the post-Raimi Spider-Man "let's make all the comic books" era as a whole; Elektra or Ghost Rider would take that Razzie in a walk. People who say otherwise aren't paying attention.

Having said that, I do see how a few of the criticisms of Ang Lee's movie at the time were on point, such as, "How do you take the guy from Chopper and make him less interesting?" See also: DCU, Nolan, Hardy, BronsonDark Knight Rises

Didn't forget, so much as I never watched it, and can't say I've really felt the want to make time for it.

On 24/02/2018 at 7:56 AM, Casey said:

Do you mean like how the Avengers were making funny little quips during their first movie while fighting those aliens at the end? Because that’s like a signature thing for them.

I prefer the tone of Hickman Avengers than the Whedon stuff. Hopefully IW has more of that.

Like those films should feel like full on epics. But both were hamstrung by a guy who just can't write or direct in that style. Like how there's a crisis in a Shield base, but Fury is slowly walking and talking while alarms blare. 

Man. I caught Black Panther on Monday and bits of it are still sticking with me hard. I want to catch it again in theaters and it'll be a day one BR purchase for me. Last Marvel movie to really land like that for me was probably GotG and I honestly liked Black Panther better.

Above all else it did an amazing job giving characters with very little screen time a ton of flourish and personality. M'Baku was on screen for what? 10-15 minutes out of 150? And yet I still came out of it thinking he was great, had a lot of depth, and wanting more. And the thing is, there's a ton of other characters I can say that for. The whole movie just popped in a way Marvel stuff hasn't been. The funny stuff was genuinely funny, but moreso because the movie knew when to knock off the jokes and get serious.

And also, it raises complex moral and ethical questions then has an ending that reflects and builds those as opposed to the Age of Ultron/Civil War shit where they ask whether the heroes are in the right then just have them punch the bad guys until they fall down and never actually resolve the question.

SUCH a great movie. Pretty easily my favourite Marvel film to date and the best at first watch. We'll see if that impression holds, but I can't imagine it won't.

• Like 3

DW5ByU4XcAkO0lI.jpg

Steve Rogers first fight in the Captain America trilogy, Captain America: The First Avenger.

DW5ByU4WkAA_RE-.jpg

Steve Rogers last fight in the Captain America trilogy, Captain America: Civil War.

Steve's line in both? I can do this all day.

Second watch of Black Panther, I actually liked it more than the first one. Something I really didn't appreciate enough first time was how well it built off both T'Challa's journey in Civil War, but also that Ross was after Klaw because of his part in Ultron getting Vibranium back in Age of Ultron. The movie built super organically out of what came before and managed to follow on multiple threads from other films deftly enough to still be totally functional as its own thing. Just really great stuff.

Only real issues I have are that some bits run blurry for my shitty eyesight and the actual Eric/T'Challa battles are kinda underwhelming compared to what comes before and around them. Once I've seen T'Challa headlock takedown an armoured rhino, I just can't get super hyped about a CG punchfest, particularly since between the herb and the suit they're jacked as all hell and it could have gone much wilder. That said, these are pretty much just general MCU issues at this point and neither was especially standout bad when compared in that framework. It's still an instant classic.

Had a guy at work complain about what a racist movie BP was.

Disclaimer: redneck white guy with giant beard. Feel free to extrapolate ffom there and you would probably not be far off in your assessment. 

I nodded and walked away. Didn't feel the need for discussion, especially my first day back at work. 

14 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER POOL EMERGENCY

They just changed Infinity War's release date from May 4th to April 27th.

Taken part every year. You'll get a shutout or close to it with people putting Avengers: Infinity War #1 for Box Office lists.