DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Okay, I see what you did.  You're getting your monster whales confused.

Giganto = Namor

Monstro = Pinocchio

Oddly enough, both properties will belong to Disney once the sale of 20 Fox goes through and MS owns the FF / Mole Man license again.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

There is not enough love for Killmonger using racial profiling to his advantage as a part of his plan to steal the Wakandan artifact from the Museum of Great Britain.

I liked the heist. It was nicely old school IMF. 

My one big nitpick (other than Klaw) was BP having magic powers (from the herb) and super hi tech gadgets. He doesn’t need to be Cap and Batman/Bond combined. I liked them separately, but both seems overkill. 

I also loved the visual of the tribal leader with the suit and plate. I figured that was a Priest thing, but one of my friends said he thought that was representative of a real fashion trend that blends modern and traditional images. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My one big nitpick (other than Klaw) was BP having magic powers (from the herb) and super hi tech gadgets.

If we're being nitpicky, the herb's properties came from exposure to Vibranium infused soil, so technically it's not magic.

In the comics, yeah, the herb was magical.

In practice?  I also agree that it may as well magic since it's only in comic books that things that have been bombarded with cosmic radiation grant humans superhuman abilities rather than give them Cancer. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

If we're being nitpicky, the herb's properties came from exposure to Vibranium infused soil, so technically it's not magic.

In the comics, yeah, the herb was magical.

In practice?  I also agree that it may as well magic since it's only in comic books that things that have been bombarded with cosmic radiation grant humans superhuman abilities rather than give them Cancer. 

Insert old quote about super science being indistinguisgable from magic. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Insert old quote about super science being indistinguisgable from magic. 

Insert the old joke about the intro to Thundarr The Barbarian.

"A world of savagery, super science and sorcery."

"How could a post-apocalyptic survivor living thousands of years after the fall of modern society tell the difference between super science and sorcery?"

I mean, Steve Rogers  basically drank a magic potion to turn into Captain America, right? 

BTW, if T’Challa is the new Tony Stark, is his sister the new Ri Ri Williams? 

It’s Interesting (and cool) how many super smart teen girls there are now to possibly use in the MCU: Ri Ri, Moon Girl, Nadia and probably more in books I don’t read. 

Any chance Killmonger really survived with magic heart shaped herb powers? He can spend some time hanging out with his dad in the spirit world and then wake up walking in the Wakandan desert for 40 days. Or something. Don’t kill him off for real.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I also loved the visual of the tribal leader with the suit and plate. I figured that was a Priest thing, but one of my friends said he thought that was representative of a real fashion trend that blends modern and traditional images. 

The costume designer avoided reading the comics and instead chose to follow real African fashion trends.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Insert the old joke about the intro to Thundarr The Barbarian.

"A world of savagery, super science and sorcery."

"How could a post-apocalyptic survivor living thousands of years after the fall of modern society tell the difference between super science and sorcery?"

He can’t but the narrator can.  He also once met present day scientist who were locked in stasis or something. 

Black Panther be making £££££££££££££££ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:

Black Panther has more than doubled the amount of money it was predicted to take in its opening weekend.

The US and Canada box office takings of more than $242m (£173m) put it miles ahead of the $120m (£86m) it had been estimated to make.

It makes the film the largest four-day President's Day weekend opening ever.

The movie is now the second highest-grossing four day opening of all time - behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which earned $288m (£206m).

Black Panther also scored the biggest Monday in history with $40.2m (£28.8m), just besting the Force Awakens' $40.1m.

On Tuesday, the film's director, Ryan Coogler, wrote a touching letter thanking fans for the support.

"I am struggling to find the words to express my gratitude at this moment," he wrote.

"Never in a million years did we imagine that you all would come out this strong.

"Thank you for giving our team of filmmakers the greatest gift: The opportunity to share this film, that we poured our hearts and souls into, with you."

Meanwhile, Michelle Obama sent congratulations to the makers of the superhero movie after a weekend of blockbuster box-office takings.

"I loved this movie," wrote the former First Lady on Monday.

"Because of you, young people will finally see superheroes that look like them on the big screen," she said.

Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins joined Mrs Obama in celebrating the film's achievement calling it an "incredibly meaningful success".

February is not generally used as a launching pad for "tentpole" blockbusters, which tend to be held back until after the Oscars and the end of "awards season".

Recent years, however, have shown there is an appetite at this time of year for other kinds of material.

Deadpool, the last superhero film to open in North America over the President's Day weekend, notched up an impressive $152m (£108m) when it debuted in 2016.

Black Panther, though, surely received an additional boost from positive buzz, rave reviews - it currently has a 97% rating on reviews aggregator Rotten Tomatoes - and huge social media awareness.

Last week, Variety reported that the film had become the most tweeted-about movie of the year so far, having amassed more than five million tweets on the social platform.

"I haven't ever worked on a film where people were this excited about it before we even rolled a camera," Coogler told the BBC earlier this month.

Black Panther's success extends beyond America's borders. The film took $25.3m (£18m) in South Korean cinemas during its opening week - more than anywhere outside the US.

The fact a key action sequences was filmed in the Korean city of Busan is understood to have driven its popularity.

Closer to home, meanwhile, Black Panther has recorded the biggest February opening at the UK and Ireland box office.

Since arriving in British cinemas a week ago, the film has made £17.7m - which,according to The Guardian's Charles Gant, is more than such previous Marvel releases as Thor and Ant-Man made over their entire UK runs.

Credit: bbc.co.uk

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 6:05 AM, J.T. said:

Saw Black Panther on Saturday with my boo and my kid.  It was pretty fucking awesome but being an avid reader of Black Panther as a kid and an adult, there were a few things that bummed me out.

Hide contents
  • The flip flopping of the roles of W'Kabi and M'Baku was annoying.  W'Kabi is one of the most loyal Wakandans in the comics and M'Baku is of course the fucking Man-Ape and premier BP bad guy.  The poetic license taken with the characters made sense in the context of the story, but it kinda hurt seeing W'Kabi turn traitor.  The redemption of the Jabari and M'Baku joining the Council made for a good narrative and fit in with the unity vibe at the end of the movie..

I dunno, they can still flip them both. Have M'Baku get the idea in his head that he should have the throne and turn him against everybody while W'Kabi has a redemption story. I could see something like that happening in the inevitable sequel

• Like 1

Spoilers follow:

I was fine with Kilmonger dying with how well it was done, he gets to see the Wakanda sunset and what he said to T'Challa. I wouldn't have killed Klaue, you could have him as a reoccuring villain like the Scarecrow in the Dark Knight trilogy.

So much unmasking, man! Don't take a shot each time it happens for severe intoxication!

• Like 2