DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

First two thirds as good as anything Marvel has done. The Bond film thirty years overdue, and in spirit, a worthy Batman film. 9/10

Last third was unnecessary, illogical, poorly written and downright baffling. Belongs in the heels totally justified in their actions discussion. 2/10

Sorry to hear the third act messes things up for you.

Yeah, this was pretty good, not great. I couldn't disagree more about "heels justified in their actions" though, since it's pretty obvious from a pair of scenes relating to the mental and emotional state of said baddie that Nothing Good Will Come of This. 

Still falls squarely in the same bucket with IM 1, Avengers, Ant Man, and a few others as a solid effort. But Guardians 1 still has my heart, Winter Soldier has my mind, and Ragnarok has my soul. 

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Does T'Challa have any superhuman abilities in this or is it just his suit/training?

Off the purple flower he can lift around 800 lbs. on the purple flower he can lift about 2 tons.  He also has the relative speed, reflexes and agility of a black panther.  He's about as strong as Captain America without the flower, but much more powerful with it.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Strength_Scale

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Yeah, this was pretty good, not great. I couldn't disagree more about "heels justified in their actions" though, since it's pretty obvious from a pair of scenes relating to the mental and emotional state of said baddie that Nothing Good Will Come of This. 

Still falls squarely in the same bucket with IM 1, Avengers, Ant Man, and a few others as a solid effort. But Guardians 1 still has my heart, Winter Soldier has my mind, and Ragnarok has my soul. 

Spoiler

He beats the piss out of Black Panther in a fair fight, that he rightfully is entitled to, even with run ins for the baby face by the guy who killed his father.

He gets screwed over by the Black Panthers family, because they don't want to a) expose their technology to the rest of the world and b) risk innocent Wakandan lives, which leads to a Wakandan civil war, and eventually Wakandan tech being shared with the outside world.

Sure, mentally unstable and unfit to rule, but he won fair and square. #crookedTchalla

There is one thing that really bugged me about Black Panther and this is something that didn't really bother me before:

Spoiler

STOP KILLING OFF ALL OF THE VILLAINS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

It didn't bother me when anyone else was killed off, but Killmonger and Klaue were both super interesting and well played victims and...both dead. Klaue went out in the weakest way ever and Michael B. Jordan was awesome as Killmonger. I think more than anyone else in Black Panther, I wanted to see more of him. Interesting backstory, well played, and imposing. He could have received a Bucky-like face turn.

Instead it's just another wasted opportunity.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

There is one thing that really bugged me about Black Panther and this is something that didn't really bother me before:

Hide contents

STOP KILLING OFF ALL OF THE VILLAINS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

It didn't bother me when anyone else was killed off, but Killmonger and Klaue were both super interesting and well played victims and...both dead. Klaue went out in the weakest way ever and Michael B. Jordan was awesome as Killmonger. I think more than anyone else in Black Panther, I wanted to see more of him. Interesting backstory, well played, and imposing. He could have received a Bucky-like face turn.

Instead it's just another wasted opportunity.

Spoiler

Yep, Klaw's death is really where the plot begins to fall apart. I mean, three of them were there as witnesses when he gets busted out of CIA custody, so why didn't T'challa simply raise the point to the council that Erik was instrumental in letting Klaw escape their grasp in the first place? How dumb and inept are we supposed to think a government can b----oh, right.

Just came back from Black Panther. Thought it was good. Have to concur about the villain deaths.

Spoiler

I'm fine with Killmonger dying the way he did. Klaw should have lived. Wish there was mention of the Hatut Zeraze and White Wolf outside of the kids joking about Bucky in the post-credits scene.

22 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:
  Hide contents

He beats the piss out of Black Panther in a fair fight, that he rightfully is entitled to, even with run ins for the baby face by the guy who killed his father.

He gets screwed over by the Black Panthers family, because they don't want to a) expose their technology to the rest of the world and b) risk innocent Wakandan lives, which leads to a Wakandan civil war, and eventually Wakandan tech being shared with the outside world.

Sure, mentally unstable and unfit to rule, but he won fair and square. #crookedTchalla

Spoiler

T'Challa didn't die or submit so Killmonger didn't actually win. There is a difference between sharing tech and giving away weapons with intents to overthrow governments. He got screwed over by the T'Chaka not taking him in after his father's death, not the entire family. Fuck, he wasn't really even entitled to the duel since he missed the date to challenge.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Very good film with the performances across the board, the Wakanda setting and the music. Where does it place in my MCU rankings? Thinking 7th place is my first reaction.

Had most fun with GOTG 2. Winter Soldier is the best. BP is the one which hit hardest. Top three for me. 

• Like 2