DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Casey said:

@J.T. ‘bout to hurt Ed Powers, I bet. Just went down to 99% a few minutes ago.

What the fuck does that even mean.

Damn.  I knew for sure that Armond White would be the first one to give BP a negative review.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Black Panther spirals into a stodgy tale of internecine feuding, in which T'Challa is required to come to terms with the sins of past generations. What he doesn't get to do much of is jump around beating-up bad guys. That's a shame.

Maybe it's me, but It sounds like he's bashing T'Challa for being a king first and action hero second.  I thought that was what the movie was supposed to be about.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Casey said:

What the fuck does that even mean.

T'Challa is a prime physical specimen. Surely a hero as athletically gifted as him would be best suited to allocate most of his time to kicking ass and taking names. Leave governance to someone more suited to the task. 

Did I crack the code?

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Damn.  I knew for sure that Armond White would be the first one to give BP a negative review.

Maybe it's me, but It sounds like he's bashing T'Challa for being a king first and action hero second.  I thought that was what the movie was supposed to be about.

Maybe he thought it needed more of this?

b86597252b68e2ac147f9351bb4903da--black-

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Maybe he thought it needed more of this?

b86597252b68e2ac147f9351bb4903da--black-

It needed a black guy in a hood and a midget with a giant ape head who has a monocle and a dapper outfit arriving at a crime scene with an old dead white guy with a psychedelic frog ,or it needed a shot of a Kirby book/ story I never knew existed before now? What’s that from and where can I read it for free? It looks cool as fuck.

Jack Kirby must have tried acid as an older man in the late 1960’s. He went, “ Fuck you, Stan. I’m gonna go to DC and make weird shit that no one gets but will eventually be the backbone of the company and be in movies!” 

7 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It needed a black guy in a hood and a midget with a giant ape head who has a monocle and a dapper outfit arriving at a crime scene with an old dead white guy with a psychedelic frog ,or it needed a shot of a Kirby book/ story I never knew existed before now? What’s that from and where can I read it for free? It looks cool as fuck.

Jack Kirby must have tried acid as an older man in the late 1960’s. He went, “ Fuck you, Stan. I’m gonna go to DC and make weird shit that no one gets but will eventually be the backbone of the company and be in movies!” 

Jack Kirby.  The Bill Watts of comic books.

8 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That's Kirby's 1977 Black Panther series, which can be found in Black Panther Masterworks Vol. 2, among other places ($5.99 on Kindle right now). It's probably also on Marvel Unlimited, if you have that. 

Interesting. 

There's an interview with Ryan Coogler where he said that he wanted to adopt part of the Storm Hunter storyline for the first BP movie and make Kraven The Hunter the first villain that T'Challa squares off against, but Feige said, "Nope."

Part of me is secretly giddy that Feige may be saving Kraven for a future Spider Man movie, but the other part of me knows that movie will probably not be based on Kraven's Last Hunt.

I'm guessing that Feige already had plans to use Klaw, Master Of Sound in BP2, so I assume that he and T'Challa are sharing an origin story in BP1 and Ulysses Klaue will get his atoms obluterated before the movie is done..

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Part of me is secretly giddy that Feige may be saving Kraven for a future Spider Man movie, but the other part of me knows that movie will probably not be based on Kraven's Last Hunt.

I'm not sure doing Kraven's Last Hunt as Kraven's first appearance would work anyway. Doesn't the story derive a lot of its power from Kraven's status as a long-standing Spider-man enemy?

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'm not sure doing Kraven's Last Hunt as Kraven's first appearance would work anyway. Doesn't the story derive a lot of its power from Kraven's status as a long-standing Spider-man enemy?

Yeah, but the MCU is not big on recurring villains unless you are Loki, Thanos, or maybe the Vulture if he gets out of prison.

Kraven's first appearance in a movie would most likely be his last.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

Interesting. 

There's an interview with Ryan Coogler where he said that he wanted to adopt part of the Storm Hunter storyline for the first BP movie and make Kraven The Hunter the first villain that T'Challa squares off against, but Feige said, "Nope."

I'm guessing that Feige already had plans to use Klaw, Master Of Sound in BP2, so I assume that he and T'Challa are sharing an origin story in BP1 and Ulysses Klaue will get his atoms obluterated before the movie is done..

I find it interesting that the stuff from Liss's run would have even come up. None of it would really work for a first movie. Besides part of the fun of T'Challa vs. Kraven was that Kraven was an insane immortal during that.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:27 PM, J.T. said:

Yeah, but the MCU is not big on recurring villains unless you are Loki, Thanos, or maybe the Vulture if he gets out of prison.

Is Vulture the first non-Loki villain to not get offed in MCU, or is it Zemo (I don't recall if Zemo got offed off screen since CW or not)?  I can't think of any others (movie big bad, not just a bad guy that shows up)

I forgot Dormamu wasn't killed, he just got talked out of nuking everything because of Strange's time loop.  I wasn't counting Hammer as he wasn't so much the big bad.  I was more pushing the big bad of the movie, I counted Whiplash as IM2's baddie.  

On 09/02/2018 at 12:27 PM, J.T. said:

As others have pointed out, more villains have survived their first movie than that.

And none of the MCU franchises have even made it to four films yet, so it's not surprising that we haven't seen many recurring villains to date. A villain would have to be pretty central to the franchise (like Thor's brother, say) to be reused that quickly.

19 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I forgot Dormamu wasn't killed, he just got talked out of nuking everything because of Strange's time loop.  I wasn't counting Hammer as he wasn't so much the big bad.  I was more pushing the big bad of the movie, I counted Whiplash as IM2's baddie.

Hammer was funding Whiplash's vendetta for a little bit, so I'd put them as:

"A" Villain - Whiplash

"B" Villain - Justin Hammer.

One is more central to the plot, but I think you need both in order to make all of that work.

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You mean Trevor? 

Have you not seen the All Hail the King one-shot? Trevor is broke out of prison by a lackey of The Mandarin. The real one is never shown, though, only referenced. Couple that with the fact that a representative of the Ten Rings tried to buy the Yellowjacket suit in Ant-Man, and they could easily go for a true bookender to the Iron Man character if Stark survives the next two Avengers movies and he/Marvel wants to do a fourth and final film.

Oh, and to continue the discussion of MCU villains that aren't dead - Batroc was arrested, so he's at least alive but not active. Keeping the Captain America theme, one could also argue that the Red Skull isn't dead, because he was just sucked into a portal by the Tesseract. Re-watching that scene back, it's clear he wasn't killed and just transported into one of the other nine realms.

EDIT: Since the Batroc arrest happened in Winter Soldier, and it was revealed that SHIELD = HYDRA, it's entirely possible that Batroc's arrest and interrogation was just a ruse and he's since been "freed" and is out there, somewhere. The chances of GSP's Batroc being the main villain for any future Cap movies (or any MCU movies) is close to 0%, but still. There's a lot more "alive" villains in the MCU than there are dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The guy who killed Tony's parents is also still alive.

Winter Solder falls in that tweener realm and of course all past sins could be absolved when he helps to defend Wakanda from the alien invasion in IW.