DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 11/5/2017 at 1:50 PM, Craig H said:

BTW, as for JT's question

Hide contents

If you go back and watch the promos and trailers for Ragnarok, you'll notice that Thor has both eyes in all of them. You'll also notice that Hela destroying Mjollnir looks like it happens in an alleyway and not in a field. They deliberately misdirect and leave out cgi or insert cgi to change what happens in the trailers so when people watch the movie they don't get what they saw in the trailer. 

I would guess the eyepatch will be cgi so they don't have to constantly glue it to Hemsworth's face.

To the point about those Hela shots looking different:

d569NhGc.jpg

They initially had Odin as a homeless guy in NYC.  They changed it to him being a dude in a linen suit by a cliff in Norway in reshoots, which is why some stuff looks different from the commercials.

• Like 1

Saw the movie, liked the movie, thought Hela mostly worked, bought the roof moment as effective, thought that Valkyrie stole the show, totally boggled at the Surtur treatment. I get that it fit the tone of the movie, but I spent my youth deathly afraid of comics Surtur so that was offputting.

I think a lot of what made Hela work was the resolution of Thor and Loki's father issues. Both of them had complicated relationships with Odin, so when it comes out that he wasn't always the man they thought he was it acts as a bit of a shock. Hela was the daughter Odin wanted when he was younger. Thor and Loki are the sons he wanted as he grew older. It's very much a conflict between these two periods of Odin's, and in turn Asgard's history. Which is why the ending works as well as it does. Hela wants to return Asgard to the bad old days of bloodshed and conquest and doesn't care what the people of Asgard want or need. She sees the throne as the thing. Thor cares about the people and understands that they're the part of Asgard that matters and so burns the history of conquest and starts something new for them.

Given that these movies are so much about the relationships between Thor and Loki as well as Thor and Odin, Hela and the arc she provides acts as a great counterpoint here. Not every villain needs to have protagonist level development to be a success.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well, those covers aren't for Infinity War, it's just for the 10th Anniversary of the MCU. So having spoilers like what you mentioned would be antithetical to what they're trying to present.

I changed my post before this came through realizing that.