DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

That movie was legit great.  Marked for Immigrant Song being Thor's official fight tune and for the Doctor Strange cameo. 

There wasn't nearly enough Hela for my liking, but that's what happens when you put the protagonist and antagonist on either side of the galaxy.

Also not enough Skurge being a badass but that was balanced by plenty of Heimdall and Valkryie being badasses.

Well, we know from the conclusion of the movie that there will be some sort of rewrite / reshoot for Infinity War.

Spoiler

Otherwise how will they reconcile Thor still having both of his eyes in the trailer Disney / Marvel debuted at D23?

Also:

Spoiler

I marked for Loki marking for Thor getting the Puny God treatment.

I thought for sure that Thor not falling for the Loki illusion double cross would lead to a Loki triple cross, but Thor did indeed learned not to fall for Loki's illusion bullshit.

Thor keeping Surtr's dragon in check by putting his hammer in the dragon's mouth was also fucking hysterical!

No one gets this material quite like Waititi does.  He needs to be the perma-director of all things Thor and Hulk like the Russo's seem to be in charge with anything Captain America-centric.

Jeff Goldblum just being Jeff Goldblum who happened to be an immortal alien dictator was great.  There was not enough love for Topaz: one of the best henchperson's ever.

Korg and Miek channeling Monty Python's Not Dead Yet sketch from Holy Grail was number one and the best.  I'm still a bit bummed that the only way to get a Planet Hulk movie was to make a Thor movie out of it.

• Like 2

This was fucking fantastic. Legit maybe the best comedy I watched this year and it had great action pieces to boot. When Immigrant Song kicks in again at the end I got goosebumps. Reminded me a lot of how The Chain was used twice in GotG Vol. 2. Everything with Korg was amazing and I LOVED the use of so many awesome Maori actors. I kept expecting Cliff Curtis to show up. In fact, how the fuck has Cliff Curtis not been in one of these movies yet?

Anyway this was just so much fun. Waititi did a great job. The MCU needs more total geeks and nerds with vision directing these movies.

BTW, as for JT's question

Spoiler

If you go back and watch the promos and trailers for Ragnarok, you'll notice that Thor has both eyes in all of them. You'll also notice that Hela destroying Mjollnir looks like it happens in an alleyway and not in a field. They deliberately misdirect and leave out cgi or insert cgi to change what happens in the trailers so when people watch the movie they don't get what they saw in the trailer. 

I would guess the eyepatch will be cgi so they don't have to constantly glue it to Hemsworth's face.

Oh yeah, also, hire the hell did they keep all of those cameos a secret?

• Like 2

Regarding Thor 3 and Avengers 3/4:

Spoiler

I hope them taking the piss out of it here doesn't suggest they're not inclined to give Bruce and Natasha a moment in the upcoming movies. I know not everyone is wild about the pairing, but I thought it was keen to use the highly-trained Russian seductress to manage the team's most volatile weapon. Thor would of course be more clumsy at it than someone like Natasha who's conditioned to manage others. People can think what they want of Whedon, but I want some closure between those two characters. 

Holy shit, this movie was amazing. i'd put it easily in my top 3 Marvel movies. will need to come off my Thor high before i can properly rate it, tho.  so much awesomeness in this.  Korg stole every scene he was in.

nobody mentioning "Pure Imagination" during Thor's hallway introduction scene is disappointing. i popped when i heard it.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

nobody mentioning "Pure Imagination" during Thor's hallway introduction scene is disappointing. i popped when i heard it.

I was awestruck when I saw that Thor going to meet the Grandmaster was a parody of the Willy Wonka Tunnel of Terror.

By the time I could attempt to explain it to my kid, the scene was over.

• Like 3

I'll just spoiler this since it does contain a spoiler from the end, I guess?

Spoiler

If we don't get more Valkyrie in some other Marvel movie I'm going to majorly pissed. I liked her more than Korg, I think. I want a Valkyrie movie about her protecting New Asgard from some cosmic threat. Just give me that and I'll never ask of anything from Marvel Studios ever again. Hell, put Black Widow in the movie as some SHIELD installed protector or something and make it a female superhero team-up movie. Might not rake in the money like their other movies do, but at this point they can afford not to have every single movie do $850 million or something.

Just finished.

Wow.

Absolutely hilarious and while I knew it was going to be funny, it had a lot more laugh out loud moments than I had anticipated.  Great action and Ace, I also marked out for that moment.

I had one gripe

Spoiler

The deaths of the Warriors Three.  While they weren't exactly HUGE characters in the MCU, they were big enough to warrant a better send off, or even an acknowledgement of their sacrifice.  I get that it was done to establish Hela as a world beater, but damn, that was cold blooded.  I was satisfied to see Hogun get a least a modicum of a moment, as I am a fan of Tadanobu Asano.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Reveal hidden contents

The deaths of the Warriors Three.  While they weren't exactly HUGE characters in the MCU, they were big enough to warrant a better send off, or even an acknowledgement of their sacrifice.  I get that it was done to establish Hela as a world beater, but damn, that was cold blooded.  I was satisfied to see Hogun get a least a modicum of a moment, as I am a fan of Tadanobu Asano.

Spoiler

Volstagg was a HUGE character.:)

But yeah, they could easily have had her mow down some nameless mooks when she exited the Bifrost, then given all Three a bit of a moment in front of the army before she killed everyone. Minor gripe, though.

Pretty much everything about Ragnarok  was awesome but I especially loved Mothersbaugh's score with the badass Carpenter-esque synths.  That was good stuff.

Mid-credits scene question:

Spoiler

Were we supposed to recognize that big ship from somewhere?

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Pretty much everything about Ragnarok  was awesome but I especially loved Mothersbaugh's score with the badass Carpenter-esque synths.  That was good stuff.

Mid-credits scene question:

Hide contents

Were we supposed to recognize that big ship from somewhere?

Spoiler

I don't think it's been seen anywhere in the previous movies, but Feige confirmed it's Thanos' Sanctuary II

• Like 2

Watched Ragnarok Saturday and I loved it. This is a movie feels truly a big as a Thor movie should. The first two Thor movies felt too small to properly be a story about gods who protect the 9 realms. Ragnarok felt properly big enough it was funny, it had heart, it was exciting. Loved Korg and Grandmaster they both were great for comic relief but didn't let that define them and they still felt like complete characters. Hela is probably one of the best MCU villains so far she felt like a threat 

Spoiler

especially by killing the Warriors Three, which I was legit shocked that they took Volstagg and Fandral out so quickly, was glad Hogun got to have a heroic moment though. 

she looked very.....nice as well. The whole final battle was great and you really didn't know the fates of all the heroes which really added to the suspense. 

One question I had was

Spoiler

was there a reason Sif wasn't in the movie at all? I was waiting/dreading for confrontation between her and Hela which probably would have left Sif dead.