DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is wondering, that's a mash-up of Vince Staples' BagBak and Gil Scott-Heron's The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. I might actually buy a Marvel movie's soundtrack if they keep this up.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, odessasteps said:

Too much Ulysses Klaw, not enough Klaw, master of sound. 

All things in their due time.  Got to save something for Black Panther 2, yo.

If you noticed in the car chase part of the trailer, Klau does open fire with some sort of blaster weapon strapped to one of his arms, so this is the shape of things to come...

I imagine we'll see the final transformation scene as a mid or end credit scene.

There are not enough words to express how happy I am that Black Panther is getting A-List production.

The hero who looks like me and my daughter is not being reduced to comedy relief, stereotype, caricature, or sidekick.

Why is there so much dust in my office today?

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, christopher.annino said:

Angela Bassett is nearly 60 and apparently a vampire. Goddamn. 

Black don't crack.

And may I give further props to Marvel / Disney on deliberately seeking out a Black director and finally getting Ryan Coogler on board to direct this mother fucker, especially since he and he production crew seem to have successfully included M'Baku in the storyline and had him retain some of the totemic flavor from the Man-Ape character without categorically offending the very people who would come out in droves to celebrate a Black superhero.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

They gave Klaw his blaster arm.  Beyond that, not sure if he actually becomes Klaw the Living sound with the cool costume or armor.  

Klaw used the sound blaster in the comics while he was a human and the blaster is a prosthetic as this one probably is.

Klaw loses a hand trying to escape from T'Challa's father in the comics but in the MCU, Ultron is the one that lops off one of Klaw's hands.

Also, in the comics, Klaw is a scientist turned criminal while in the MCU, he's an arms dealer.  I'd guess that the central plot of the movie will draw from the BP storyline from the late 70's where Klaw tried to weaponize vibranium and turn it into a death ray.

Klaw willingly jumps into the sound converter in the comics (IIRC a Fantastic Four storyline), but the climax of the movie will probably have Klaw get blown up by his own vibranium weapon.

Even so, I think we'll probably get an end or mid credit scene that subtly nods its head to this panel:

blackpanther-klaw2.jpg?w=723

MCU film rankings on Rotten Tomatoes:

Thor: The Dark World (2013) 66%

The Incredbile Hulk (2008) 67%

Iron Man 2 (2010) 73% CF

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) 75% CF

Thor (2011) 77% CF

Iron Man 3 (2013) 79% CF

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 80% CF

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) 82% CF

Ant-Man (2015) 82% CF

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 89% CF

Doctor Strange (2016) 89% CF

Captain America: Civil War (2016) 91% CF

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 91% CF

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) 92% CF

Avengers Assemble (2012) 92% CF

Iron Man (2008) 94% CF

Thor: Ragnarok (2017) 98% CF

Hell of a run.

Loved Thor.

Wasn't the best Marvel film, but definitely had the most laugh out loud moments.

Taika Waititi steals the show. Not sure how well it translates with US audiences, that New Zealander Flight of the Concords, awkward nerd style humour (contrasts really well with strong guys like Thor and Hulk). If you loved What We Do In The Shadows, it's a pretty good bet you'll enjoy this.

I think they got the tone right on this one. Was really enjoyable.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was really good. I think they put out a few too many trailers though, or maybe I watched them too many times. Felt like not much happened I hadn't known was going to happen up until the final final battle. Except, y'know

Spoiler

raw

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

In taxi going to Thor: Ragnarok!

Back home. Very fun film. Good Thor and Hulk get the quality standalone they were missing out on. Liked the debutant, Valkyrie. The music deserves praise, it's memorable unlike other MCU movies.

Cheers, @gatling.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Back home. Very fun film. Good Thor and Hulk get the quality standalone they were missing out on. Liked the debutant, Valkyrie. The music deserves praise, it's memorable unlike other MCU movies.

Cheers, @gatling.

Glad to hear it, hoping to talk my wife into going and taking our nine year old to see it the week of Thanksgiving.  Would be the first MCU movie I've seen in a theater since we saw Avengers: Age of Ultron at the drive-in.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gatling said:

Glad to hear it, hoping to talk my wife into going and taking our nine year old to see it the week of Thanksgiving.  Would be the first MCU movie I've seen in a theater since we saw Avengers: Age of Ultron at the drive-in.

Hope y'all do, pal.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2017 at 9:24 AM, AxB said:

I think they put out a few too many trailers though,  Felt like not much happened I hadn't known was going to happen 

Reveal hidden contents

raw

This sad poem is titled 'What it's like to watch a film in 2017'. It is also the reason I very rarely go to the cinema these days as I feel like I've already seen the film. Thor is yet another example of this

Thought I had commented something, but apparently didn't. I saw it in a packed theatre last weekend and loved it.

Had the same feeling I had while watching Spidey a couple months ago "Yes! They nailed it. YES!". I even tweeted Taika Waititi a "Thank You" tweet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of the next two Avengers films, specifically #4... Spoilers be ahead. Well, maybe. It's just set photos.

Spoiler

Tony Stark in SHIELD riot gear? Check. Loki appearance? Check. Remember that Augmented Reality thing Stark presented in Civil War at the college? That's back too. SHIELD agents are also on the set of Avengers 4 (originally thought to be the Ant Man & The Wasp set, due to Jimmy Woo's role in the movie, but it wasn't)

I still really want to see Infinity War (I'm practically begging the gods every day for a trailer or teaser), but I'm really damn curious about the Avengers film the following year.