DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Apparently Hannah John-Kamen is playing a version of Ghost rather than Janice Lincoln.  I can understand thinking a char like that would be an interesting foil for movie Scott given his past using robbery as a statement against corporate malfeasance, but I'd still rather see the Beetle armor in live-action.

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Apparently Hannah John-Kamen is playing a version of Ghost rather than Janice Lincoln.  I can understand thinking a char like that would be an interesting foil for movie Scott given his past using robbery as a statement against corporate malfeasance, but I'd still rather see the Beetle armor in live-action.

This disappoints me.

• Like 1

Am I the only one more excited for Thor: Ragnarok than Infinity War?

Granted, I saw Thor I and II, so I'm expecting to be one of those fools parted from his money.

Why does Natalie Portman refuse to come back?  Not that I blame her.  Her role in the first two movies was pretty badly underwritten.  I'd mark for a Thor movie based on Aaron's run with a female Thor, but I'd guess they'd recast the role if they ran with that (probably with whoever was the second choice for Wonder Woman).

15 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

No, I'm in this camp as well.  Thor looks way more fun.

19 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Granted, I saw Thor I and II, so I'm expecting to be one of those fools parted from his money.

Why does Natalie Portman refuse to come back?  Not that I blame her.  Her role in the first two movies was pretty badly underwritten.  I'd mark for a Thor movie based on Aaron's run with a female Thor, but I'd guess they'd recast the role if they ran with that (probably with whoever was the second choice for Wonder Woman).

Since Lady Thor is essentially a different person from Jane (certainly cancer ravaged Jane), definitely would be a different actress. Gwendoline Christie would be an obvious choice. 

On 7/24/2017 at 8:12 AM, J.T. said:

Poor DC.  Marvel will own the comic book movie market until they chose not to.

I can see how you'd say this but not exactly. Wonder Woman is probably going to be every bit as profitable as both Spider-Man and GOTG2 this year.  It's making more money domestic,  it cost less money to make and Wonder Woman merch has been flying off the shelves.  Suicide Squad was nearly as profitable as Civil War too again factoring in merchandise and everything else. 

Justice League, The Batman, another Harley Quinn movie, Aquaman,  The Flash movie,  Wonder Woman 2..    

DC might not hit the high mark that Infinity War will but they seem to be in a great position moving forward so long as the studio stops meddling. 

Right now Marvel is Sony and DC is Xbox.   FOX is Nintendo.  Sony Pictures is Sega. 

• Like 3

Every DCCU film to date has done better than basically every MCU film without RDJ or Groot so far. For all the RT stuff and divisiveness DC is landing the money side fine. Marvel really *really* needs contingency planning for when RDJ and some other key players decide to retire from the superhero film game. 

That said, DC has so far banked each movie on some of the most recognizeable icons in the superhero world. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are basically THE biggest characters in comics (barring maybe Spider-man) and Suicide Squad used the Joker/Harley/Batman angle for a lot of marketing. We'll have a clearer sense of the health of the franchise once Aquaman hits.

• Like 1

Thinking back, I have not been to a Marvel movie since Civil War. I didn't see Ant Man, Dr Strange, or GotG 2. (I later rented Ant Man and bought DS on Vudu. I will likely buy GotG 2 - I own digital copies of almost all the Marvel films.) I haven't been to see Spidey yet, either.

I saw BvS twice (and I have since bought it and MoS), as well as going to see Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. 

Even though I would on first instinct say Marvel's films are "better", in the last 2 years DC are doing a better job of putting my butt in seats. 

Fox is a push. I went to see Days of Future, Apocalypse, and FF. I did not go see Deadpool, and I still haven't seen Logan even via rental or torrent. Which is weird. . 

• Like 1

Logan is fantastic. But to keep this about the MCU, the only movies to cross a billion starred Downey Jr. And that streak ended with Spider-Man. Marvel will be fine, more than fine actually but I do wonder what life after Downey and Evans will look like. They were banking on Spider-Man and I'm not sure how much growth will be there for Spidey moving forward.

I was talking to a guy at work about Spidey and he didnt like that he was in high school. Admittedly, not likely in the target  demo (50 year old black guy, discussin it with almost 50 white guy). He was also annoyed that Stark made his suit.