DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

They probably brought him back because he was in an unenviable situation and basically delivered for them on the movie.  People thought it would be Marvel's first bomb, and it ended up getting good reviews and it did even better than the first Captain America movie at the box office.

You couldn't tell he hated the character by the way the movie played out.  The characters in Ant-Man were arguably the best fleshed out in any Marvel movie.  I think it is the best handled Marvel origin movie to date.

The only glaring shortcoming was the lack of a credible villain, but you can say that about nearly every Marvel Studios superhero movie since the first Iron Man joint.

43 minutes ago, Casey said:

I've only seen her in Black Mirror, and she was pretty great in that, so that's good news.

She is the only reason to watch Killjoys on Syfy.

And yep, i also have the suspicion that she'll be playing Janice Lincoln / Lady Beetle..

Forgot to mention that I watched Thor: The Dark World last week for the first time. That was shockingly good. At the very least, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

• Like 2

I love the concept but the more I look at it the more it looks like the CG equivalent of one of those photo op things where you stick your head through a hole to add to a scene. Just kinda bizarre. And like...we've seen them knock out the seamless look in Civil War so this just feels kinda lazy.

• Like 1

I'm bummed but relieved that M'Baku will just be M'Baku and not the full fledged Man-Ape unless they're saving that bit for later.

Michael B. Jordan looks fucking pimp as Erik Killmonger.

I assume the mid-credit scene will be Klaue becoming Klaw..

The villain side of the house is pretty stacked for this one.  I am bummed that there was no room for Nekra especially since Coogler is rolling with the Dora Milaje elite guard, but I wonder if they will go full bore with Nakia / Malice?

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

RUN THE JEWELS IN A MARVEL TRAILER

OH SHIT

I KNOW, RIGHT~?

i lost my shit during the El-P voice loop.

• Like 2

I like how on some parts of the internet, they're roasting the trailer - not because of any of the actual content - but because it's a mostly all-black cast and it (GASP) uses hip-hop music in the teaser. Other people are complaining, not about the actual music, but that you only hear the white dude's voice (El-P) instead of the black guy (Killer Mike).

FFS.

For what it's worth, that looks like a really fun movie and I know nothing about the Black Panther comics. Like, not even a little bit.

Oh, and this got released today. Feige confirms we won't be seeing the spider bite or the death of Uncle Ben because "we've all seen that before". I'm pretty sure I had a bet with someone on here about that.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, Casey said:

Other people are complaining, not about the actual music, but that you only hear the white dude's voice (El-P) instead of the black guy (Killer Mike).

Holy fuck, why make a big deal of this?  The only part of Legend Has It that you could put into the trailer without turning it red band would be the hook on loop.  Just so happens that sample has El-P's voice.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with my kid.  It was a movie.  I enjoyed it well enough, but I didn't think it was a better Marvel movie than Guardians Volume 1 or the first Avengers joint.  Maybe slightly better than Civil War and Ant-Man.

Splitting up the group made Act II drag on more than it should have, but the interim was filled with some heart softening moments.  Not sure why, but Quill and Ego playing catch with the energy ball kinda got to me as did the parts where Nebula clued Gamora in on the price of failure when Thanos is your adopted father.

I also got a little misty during the big Yondu "He may be your father, but he ain't your daddy" part and the Ravager funeral saw my kid giving me the business for getting too sentimental during a superhero movie. 

Heroic deaths and sports movies are perfectly acceptable venues for man weeping.  

I thought the big death reveal was kinda dumb.  I don't think that making things personal made Ego seem any more maniacal or despicable to me.  I was good with the whole destroy all life deal being a proper enough reason to blow up Ego's brain with a nuke.

Dave Bautista put in a helluva performance.  It's cool that Drax really does like Mantis but he's not done grieving for his family yet, so he's not ready to put his revenge behind him for the sake of new love and moving on with his life.

Fucking Baby Groot.   My daughter loved him so much that I had to buy this for her:

Hot-Topic-Exclusive-Baby-Groot-in-Costum

when she saw it at the local Hot Topic after we got out of the movies.   I owed her for the good report card anyway.

I felt pretty lukewarm about new Mantis.  I don't miss the Celestial Madonna aspect about old Mantis being removed from the equation and remain neutral about new Mantis's conversion into an alien, but I would've like to have seen the martial arts prowess / preternatural stun ability from the original character incorporated along with the empathic powers.

I think it would've been more interesting (and a lot funnier) if new Mantis would've earned Drax's respect by rendering him unconscious via an old school callback to the original character:

gallery-1470735676-mantis-thor.png

or maybe,

200px-Mantisavengers131.jpg

rather than putting new Mantis in the role of being Drax's quasi-therapist and damsel in distress.. 

I believe having the combat skill of old Mantis would've made new Mantis a bit more multidimensional and she still could've kept her refreshing innocence and naivety.

The mid-credit scenes were fucking great.   I had to explain to my kid that Stallone's crew were the Guardians original line-up and she gave me the McKayla Maroney face.  Kids today, I swear..

Kraglin's arrow test was the perfect comedic spot to lift me out of the doldrums of a somber but satisfying movie ending.

I am totally ready for Adam Warlock to kick ass across known space and I hope that the Stallone unit gets a movie really soon.

The digial cinematography was also great.   The wide shots in outer space of Ego's "face" were fucking awesome.

The weird thing is that with all of the praise I've heaped on individual elements of the movie, it really didn't translate to the total sum.  I enjoyed myself, but I didn't feel the giddy nerd rush that I had when the end credits rolled for Volume One.  I missed that.

• Like 1

Steve Englehart had some interesting things to say about Mantis. About how he thought the performance was great, the character was interesting... And how he was not at all happy because she had nothing to do with Mantis.

I mean Drax's background was also completely changed for the movies as well.  As was much of Star-Lord's origin.  I kind of miss the Spartax origin since it means Star-Lord is his title rather than just a cute nickname.  But whatever.  You can see the Spartax backstory for the animated series.  Jonathan Frakes voices J'Son.