DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Saw it yesterday. The five post-credits scenes is correct. Some of which are just jokes, some are presumably building for Guardians 3. Nothing about Infinity War though. It's good, yeah. I can't be bothered to post spoilery thoughts yet though.

We have tickets on Saturday and Sunday at noon (so as to have one of us watch the 4 year old while the other takes the 15 year old). I have MOSTLY avoided spoilers up until now. As in, I don't know who Stallone plays, etc. So I'll see you guys in this thread after next weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

We have tickets on Saturday and Sunday at noon (so as to have one of us watch the 4 year old while the other takes the 15 year old). I have MOSTLY avoided spoilers up until now. As in, I don't know who Stallone plays, etc. So I'll see you guys in this thread after next weekend.

Enjoy, pal!

• Like 1

Boy, did i not enjoy that much.

they seemed to go for the philosophy of "if it worked in the first, lets overload this one with same stuff."

beating gags to death, too many songs, too many pointless characters (topped by the other ravager captain) 

super schmatzy ina bad way. I laughed out loud at a couple things at the end presumably meant to evoke sympathy.

i liked Russell. I liked Mantis. I like Kraglin. Coincidence those are 3 of the new characters? 

I did mark out for one of the one of the cameos and one of the post credit things.

a generous 6/10 probably 

I loved it. Every minute of it. I think it's my favorite MCU movie. The shit Gunn was able to do was awesome. Intergalactic MCU is the best MCU.

Holy shit I loved that. Didn't quite have the same highs as the first but averaged better. Also holy shit SO MUCH COSMIC MARVEL GEEKOUT STUFF!

They had Ego look like Ego!

Yondu's old team is the classic Guardians!

I WILL NAME HIM ADAM!

FUCKING WATCHERS~! [/spoilers]

Just a really good time while still landing the heart of it.

• Like 3

Regarding one of those stories...

Spoiler

I fucking LOVED that we're right back to Stan Lee possibly being a Watcher. Yeah, he probably isn't, but thinking back to that rumor from years ago and then seeing this made me laugh my ass off.

Regarding cameos...

Spoiler

JEFF GOLDBLUM DURING THE CREDITS!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Regarding one of those stories...

Hide contents

I fucking LOVED that we're right back to Stan Lee possibly being a Watcher. Yeah, he probably isn't, but thinking back to that rumor from years ago and then seeing this made me laugh my ass off.

Regarding cameos...

Hide contents

JEFF GOLDBLUM DURING THE CREDITS!

The weird thing about that cameo is we saw that character in the Thor trailer.

one weird technical thing, the creator credit for abnett and lanning was near the start of the credits, but the ones for starlord, groot, rocket, etc were buried in the middle of the credits, which i thought was odd.

I didn't even get a chance to notice some of the cameos in the easter eggs.

Spoiler

I vaguely recognized Ving Rhames as Charlie-27 and Michelle Yeoh as Aleta. Would not have recognized the robot head (Mainframe) as Miley Cyrus.

1 hour ago, Mike Zeidler said:

There was a whole bunch and onscreen death for a movie marketed squarely at kids.

Who was the weird red alien that only talked in pictographs?

Krugarr. In Marvel continuity, he was the Sorcerer Supreme of the original Guardians timeline.

As with most superhero movies, always good to go to imdb and check out the credits, as they go by way too fast in the theatre. 

Spoiler

When i saw the diamond guy with stallone, i wondered if we would be seeing the silver age guardians. 

I somehow managed to avoid spoilers up to this point.  Really wish I could see it tonight, but tomorrow it is.  Did like TheVileOne's review of it and I know what to expect without being spoiled.  I'm hoping I don't feel like odessasteps does about it, though given what they did I certainly see where he's coming from.

And @AxB if you're up for seeing more of Pom she was Carson Daly's NBC show.  Her general attitude towards the movie makes her a very welcome addition.

• Like 1

When Glenn Close was doing interviews to promote The Girl With All the Gifts over here (she was also doing a play in the West End at the time) she said she'd filmed a cameo for GotG2. But clearly it either got cut (deleted scene for the BluRay?) or maybe the scene was moved to Infinity War (if it was important enough).

He's getting a couple movies of his own, so no need. We've already seen what we've needed up to this point until he becomes a central plot point.

Also:

Spoiler

Since his primary goal is the stones, and this film doesn't deal with them at all, there's no need for Thanos.