DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Wow, after watching the two trailers how good is Dave's agent to get some of the best dialogue in the movie so far?

They're giving away the best jokes in the movie so far, but kudos for not putting any antagonists or major plot points in the new trailers.  No glimpses of Her / Kismet / Ayesha or Ego and I hope it stays that way.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

Wow, after watching the two trailers how good is Dave's agent to get some of the best dialogue in the movie so far?

They're giving away the best jokes in the movie so far, but kudos for not putting any antagonists or major plot points in the new trailers.  No glimpses of Her / Kismet / Ayesha or Ego and I hope it stays that way.

It's a Marvel movie.  Does it really matter if we never see the villains in the trailer?  

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It's a Marvel movie.  Does it really matter if we never see the villains in the trailer?  

With Mantis in this movie not half-Vietnamese anymore yeah, it matters given that Gunn is obviously flipping the script and making inspired content changes.

For once I would like to be totally surprised by stuff in a movie and not have the extended trailer ruin everything.

I think I lost you in the weeds. 

My bottom line point is that extended trailers give up too much of the plot so I am happy that Gunn isn't showing too much of what he has in store for Vol 2 including what the villains look like.

I know Spidey is super strong,

Spoiler

but to keep a cargo ship from breaking apart using the Train Scene solution?  That seems a bit out of his scope of power going by the comics.

The Vulture looks pretty awesome!

• Like 1

Why should he go away?  This is going down after Civil War so with the split, Tony is going to be more prominent in post-Sokivian Accords MCU, not less.

He's now the leader of what is left of The Avengers.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Why should he go away?  This is going down after Civil War so with the split, Tony is going to be more prominent in post-Sokivian Accords MCU, not less.

He's now the leader of what is left of The Avengers.

You're not wrong about the facts of what's going on in the universe,  it's that I would prefer these to be Spider-Man's stories with very little Avengers involved until something big comes up like Infinity Wars or what have you.  I don't think Spider-Man should need Stark upgrading his suits or telling him he's too young to do this or that. I'd prefer Spider-Man learn from his own mistakes.

• Like 1

I think Tony Stark mentoring Peter Parker and being a guardian for him is an interesting take on a superhero movie. Peter isn't his son, but you can clearly see they're going in that direction. So what do you do when this kid that you're almost seeing yourself as a father figure for wants to constantly risk his own life and he's only, what, 16? That's a story I want to see.

• Like 1

I loved the trailer, seriously marking out because Tom Holland is perfect in the 17 minutes he's been showcased in so far. Totally fine with Tony in this for reasons stated above, and I'm also hoping if they go 2 vs 1 against Vulture, Iron Man gets put down to really put the guy over as a threat to Peter. Also think it's important to Tony to be there to really drive him this is the Marvel Universe and get people excited for the movie after the stink of ASM 2

Also, no Osborne, and I hope it stays that way for a while

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You're not wrong about the facts of what's going on in the universe,  it's that I would prefer these to be Spider-Man's stories with very little Avengers involved until something big comes up like Infinity Wars or what have you.  I don't think Spider-Man should need Stark upgrading his suits or telling him he's too young to do this or that. I'd prefer Spider-Man learn from his own mistakes.

Peter and Tony are a perfect pairing.  Pete needs the father figure, but Stark is the one that needs the lessons in maturity.  That dynamic is sure to provide the story necessary to fill in the time between action scenes.

I agree that Stark providing Pete with tech is a bit of a crutch, but it does reasonably answer the question of where does a teenager get his hands on all of these gadgets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErinQuinn said:

Also, no Osborne, and I hope it stays that way for a while

At least until they can iron out a concept for the Green Goblin that doesn't make my stomach turn. 

I loved the first Spider Man movie but GG with Power Ranger armor was pretty sad and the "were-goblin" concept they tied around poor Dane Dehann's neck wasn't much better.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Almost everyone looks super-young in that trailer.

Even compared to the Maguire and Garfield movies,

I feel old.  Bring me my cloud.  I need to yell at something.

That...that's what young people look like.

It's actually pretty welcome after years of people a few years older than me playing characters over a decade younger than me.