DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Saw it last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't care much for Cumberbatch, but he was pretty good. Build up and pacing was nice as well. 

This was also the last time I was definitely blown away by the set pieces. Especially since the last 20 years I have been conditioned that every major action movie needs to have big budget special effects that I have become desensitized to them.

Definitely top 5 Marvel movie.

• Like 1

On 27 October 2016 at 8:34 AM, The Natural said:

Seeing the last 3D showing tomorrow, 8pm.

I had positive vibes for Doctor Strange based mainly on the trailers, casting, posters, costumes and quotes from those involved.

Really enjoyed Doctor Strange. Origin comic book stories and films are a favourite of mine seeing the start of the hero/heroes. Magic and illusions since a boy. Amazing visuals, worth watching in 3D. The only other 3D films I say that about: Dredd, Gravity and Mad Max: Fury Road. Benedict Cumberbatch was a great Doctor Strange and same goes for Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One. Good score, can't say that about most MCU movies.

Out of the MCU's 14 films, I'd rank Doctor Strange either as high as 5th at the expense of Captain America: The First Avenger or 6th behind that film. Thinking the latter.

SPOILERS

The task of the sorcerers to guard/protect against threats from magic/mystic/interdimensional threats.

Memorable sequences include: Doctor Strange sees the astral plane and the multiverse by the Ancient One, and us with him. Strange's first use of the Eye of Agamotto, that Cloak of Levitation. Thor and Vision will have cape envy. Doctor Strange defending a Sanctum from attack by Kaecilius/his zealots and the method by Strange to beat Dormammu.

The theme of time in the movie like the watch, the Ancient One with the revelation about her and the way Strange utilizes the Eye of Agamotto to stop Dormammu/Kaecillus and his clan.

The Cloak of Levitation, the character it's given!

I didn't expect the Ancient One to die.

One of my favourite MCU moments as Doctor Stephen Strange puts away the Eye of Agamotto, his back turned to us walking the steps in his Sanctum Sanctorum now. Strange puts on the broken watch from Christine Palmer and looks at the outside.

The mid-credits scene is the better of the two as Thor meets Doctor Strange to ask for help to find Odin as Strange refills Thor's mead. The other scene is Mordo reclaiming energy from the man who was once a paraplegic and is again.

Saw Dr Strange this afternoon. It's really good. Did anyone spot the Civil War Easter egg?

Spoiler

When Strange is in the car and getting the phone call about potential patients, the first one he's offered is Rhodey.

Nice to see that, even though there were shitloads of trailers ahead of time, most of the movie wasn't given away by them. I was worried that the Inception-style city bending was the only visual for magic they'd be using, but it wasn't. Some of it looked like the actual classic comics looked. Stayed for both end credits scenes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

Saw Dr Strange this afternoon. It's really good. Did anyone spot the Civil War Easter egg?

Hide contents

When Strange is in the car and getting the phone call about potential patients, the first one he's offered is Rhodey.

Nice to see that, even though there were shitloads of trailers ahead of time, most of the movie wasn't given away by them. I was worried that the Inception-style city bending was the only visual for magic they'd be using, but it wasn't. Some of it looked like the actual classic comics looked. Stayed for both end credits scenes.

That's impossible to be Rhodey.  Rhodey is not in his mid-30s, and he's not in the MARINES.  Rhodey is in the AIR FORCE.

On 10/29/2016 at 3:04 PM, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

That's impossible to be Rhodey.  Rhodey is not in his mid-30s, and he's not in the MARINES.  Rhodey is in the AIR FORCE.

Spoiler

In the 3D preview it was a Marine captain but in the movie version I seen it was said to be an Air Force Captain. So it could be Rhodey right? 

3 minutes ago, wpdougie2180 said:
  Hide contents

In the 3D preview it was a Marine captain but in the movie version I seen it was said to be an Air Force Captain. So it could be Rhodey right? 

Conceivably, Rhodey and Stark are the same age.  They went to college together.  And Stark was born in 1970.  That would make Rhodey about 45-47.  Cheadle is 51 and definitely doesn't look mid-30s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wpdougie2180 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Rhodey's a Colonel.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2016 at 11:25 AM, Mike Zeidler said:

November 4th :/

Hopefully be worth the wait for USA posters here.

Looking at the IMDB release dates for the UK and USA, nine came out here before the USA (Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers Assemble, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: Civil War and Doctor Strange). Three on the same date (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Ant-Man) and one film arrived in the USA first (Captain America: The First Avenger).

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No I haven't seen it, and I'm seeing it tonight.

Thanks. When does the review embargo end?

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

The dialogue was definitely different in the 15-minute preview.  It was clearly changed in the final cut.  It did say Air Force colonel, so it was more than likely meant to be Rhodey.

Changed to protect the spoiler until people see the film proper? That's what I imagine. When I heard that in Doctor Strange, I thought the same as

@AxB.

The problem with saying "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth" out loud is, some people will hear it as "Buy the Whore-y Hos of Hoggoth" and think it's a leisure activity recommendation.