DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Super excited about Michael B. Jordan joining Black Panther. He's one of my favorite younger actors right now. I think he has enough natural charisma to be better than other MCU villains if that's what he's playing.

And I'm in agreement with Captain Marvel. I also think it could be a huge movie, but I'm not thrilled with the possibility of Chloe Grace Moretz playing her. I just don't enjoy her work like others do.

I though Emily Blunt was the big rumor? I like Chloe, but too young. Carol should be a full adult, to me.

• On 5/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
    1. One again, this quote box is from a reply I made days ago and it won't go away or let me type outside it. There is no undo button, and now bullet points won't go away either.
    2. Anyway, Moretz is subtly campaigning for the role.

This was definitely one of my favorite comic movies so far.  Probably the best thing about it was no major fight scene featuring the face team taking out scores of jobber drones robots or generic soldiers (save for the stairwell scene) and focusing on more individualized, evenly matched opponents.  There was plenty of development for most of the characters and just the right combination of humor and seriousness.

Not being a comic reader I didn't know anything about Zemo going in so I don't have an opinion of his character translation, however there wasn't much about him I found terribly compelling.  His motivation of someone having lost his family as collateral damage is understandable, but there have to be hundreds, if not thousands, of people out there who are in the same boat.  The few minutes they went over his dossier he just came off as a random special ops soldier (the likes of which they've no doubt dispatched scores of throughout the series) with nothing especially competent or skilled about him, especially considering he was in the military of some destitute post-soviet country.  I guess because a lot of other villains in these sorts of movies are built up a bit more I was expecting someone who seemed more intimidating and capable, but he reminded me of that time Maven eliminated The Undertaker from the Royal Rumble - some average person who did the exact right thing at the exact right time to take down someone way out of his league.

Wouldn't Captain America and the rest of his crew have been released at the end?  From what I recall, their crime was aiding and abetting Bucky (Iron Man and his crew were just as responsible for the fiasco at the airport and obviously they're not on the hook for it), and they had concrete evidence that he'd been framed, plus the guilty party in custody.

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Wouldn't Captain America and the rest of his crew have been released at the end?  From what I recall, their crime was aiding and abetting Bucky (Iron Man and his crew were just as responsible for the fiasco at the airport and obviously they're not on the hook for it), and they had concrete evidence that he'd been framed, plus the guilty party in custody.

No, even though Buck was innocent they still violated the Sokovia Accord, which mandated that US supers not operate on foreign soil without UN directive.  They broke Wanda out of quarantine, because she had been placed under effective house arrest when she wouldn't sign.  The point was specifically made that if Cap didn't sign, he would be forced to retire (because anything he did would be a violation of international treaty.)  

• Like 1

I finally saw this.  Zemo did suck.  I mean, he was fine, just completely unmemorable in any way.  And of course they leave HIM alive, the one villain I'm 100% certain most people won't give a shit if they never see again.  "Boy, I can't wait to see Zemo come back and stand behind another window while he plays Youtube videos again!" said no one.

Marvel:   Wasting great actors in weak villain roles since always. 

But it was really good otherwise!  Agreed with Chessgame about how having evenly matched opponents instead of super powers vs. glorified crash test dummies made a big difference here.  If only they had a stable of interesting villains to team-up against the Avengers....

It's interesting to note that Malekith, Red Skull & Ronan were all "killed" by the Infinity Stone that was featured in each of those movies. So, using comic book logic, the previous three could all be resurrected in a future movie (Infinity Wars?), along with other villains like Zemo and Abomination. Obviously Ultron was obliterated by Vision, though.

So, if they go that route, you could have Thanos somehow bring Malekith, Red Skull and Ronan back to life (or whatever), and break Zemo and Blonsky out of their respective prisons. Then you have the wildcard of Loki - he might join forces with Thanos (again), or maybe he'd help the Avengers. You still have the tease of a real Mandarin out there somewhere, too.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

What would Zemo do for Thanos?  Run his Youtube channel?

IT'S YA BOY ZEMO, BACK AGAIN WITH MORE NEWS ON THE COMING OF THE MAD TITAN!  COMMENT, LIKE, SUBSCRIBE!

Maybe Thanos introduces Zemo to the moonstones?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:22 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

I saw it tonight and liked it a lot.  I actually liked Zemo, even if he didn't "feel like Zemo" he was a much better villain than I expected.  I'm far more disappointed in Crossbones.

I wasn't really disappointed with Crossbones, but I do wish that we'd caught more of his terrorist for hire career in another movie or something.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

It's interesting to note that Malekith, Red Skull & Ronan were all "killed" by the Infinity Stone that was featured in each of those movies. So, using comic book logic, the previous three could all be resurrected in a future movie (Infinity Wars?), along with other villains like Zemo and Abomination. Obviously Ultron was obliterated by Vision, though.

So, if they go that route, you could have Thanos somehow bring Malekith, Red Skull and Ronan back to life (or whatever), and break Zemo and Blonsky out of their respective prisons. Then you have the wildcard of Loki - he might join forces with Thanos (again), or maybe he'd help the Avengers. You still have the tease of a real Mandarin out there somewhere, too.

As much as I would love Thanos to pull some Legion of the Unliving shit, that is way too much multi-villain chicanery going on in one sitting and folks get pissed when movies are overstuffed.. 

Besides, people already think Thanos is a weak villain because all he did in GoTG was sit on a throne and sneer. 

Infinity Wars needs to be all about Thanos wrecking shop by himself to re-establish his street cred.  The last scene if IW1 needs to be Thanos personally yanking the Soul Gem right out of Vision's forehead and there needs to be a lot of screaming involved.

11 hours ago, EVA said:

I finally saw this.  Zemo did suck.  I mean, he was fine, just completely unmemorable in any way.  And of course they leave HIM alive, the one villain I'm 100% certain most people won't give a shit if they never see again.  "Boy, I can't wait to see Zemo come back and stand behind another window while he plays Youtube videos again!" said no one.

Bah.  You can build on a villain like Zemo In Name Only. 

Super villain origin movies can be just as painful as super hero origin movies and this one was no exception.  I am still baffled by the concept of Zemo as a "weak villain" when he as a normal human did what a god backed by an alien invasion force and a robot out to destroy all mankind could not do. 

For all intent and purpose, he destroyed the Avengers. By himself.. No super weapons or alien power brokers.  He practically did it TDK Joker style with bullets and gasoline.

How is that unmemorable?  If anything, his impact was blunted by having him bitch out and trying to commit suicide and then end up being captured.  At least let Zemo have the benefit of a more soulful yet twisted elegy about his family before trying to blow his brains out so that you can understand his motive and still not sympathize with him. 

That Sorry About Your Dad shit moment between Zemo and T'Challa was kinda weak and was the only major issue I had with the movie, but the back and forth with Ross posturing and gloating before Zemo delivered a final Fuck You was a nice touch..

As far as we know, Zemo acted alone so who is left to break him out of The Raft or wherever he'll be sent to rot?  If he doesn't return to fight another day, Zemo's career as a super villain is pretty much done for at this point and that's the real tragedy.

Since for the immediacy, Zemo set out what he intended to do, so does he even have any motivation to break out of jail?  He thinks he's won and he might be right depending on how the remaining Phase III and Phase IV movies handle the metaplot.

I can give people the second generation thing, as that was a big part of who he was pre-96. I don't think it's really come into play since then though. Also, I figure that they can have it so his son isn't really dead and he can be an awesome Phase 6 legacy villain.

I just did a quick search and didn't find anything, but I haven't seen anything about casting Death in the MCU. Do you think they just straight up abandon Thanos doing this all for Death? I wouldn't be all that opposed to leaving her out of this. Although it makes me wonder why the Mad Titan would even want a completed Infinity Gauntlet or if he would destroy the universe with it. It would certainly leave him without anything to rule over and for no purpose. 

I hope they abandon the Death angle.  Thanos doing it just because he is Thanos will work much better and that has the potential to wash away the stain of his portrayal in GoTG.

• Like 1

Tons of pretty girls in Hollywood.

Also, whenever I think of Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, I can't help but think of Patton Oswalt's filibuster on an episode of Parks and Rec where he detailed how using the reality gem could bring in the Star Wars universe and that was before Disney purchased Lucasfilm.

EDIT: Nevermind. That episode happened after the purchase went through and JJ was named director of The Force Awakens.

Death works best as a symbolic representation than someone with actual agency. I'd hope that Brolin could be able to get the idea across through his performance without the need of an actual person in that role. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can't help but think of Patton Oswalt's filibuster on an episode of Parks and Rec where he detailed how using the reality gem could bring in the Star Wars universe and that was before Disney purchased Lucasfilm.

That is exactly what I thought about while watching Civil War during the fight with the new and improved Ant-Man.

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Death works best as a symbolic representation than someone with actual agency. I'd hope that Brolin could be able to get the idea across through his performance without the need of an actual person in that role. 

I think it still works with no Lady Death as motivation.  Thanos's madness is his own and his plot to re-create the universe to his likings becomes all the more monstrous.

Thanos doing what he does to please Death makes him look like a needy teen pulling the wings off of a fly to please the hot cheerleader that barely knows he exists. 

Just let Thanos annihilate reality because he is fucking Thanos.  These pawns like the Red Skull, Loki, and Ronan have merely been field testing the stones for him so that he can see their true potential and Thanos can retrieve the stones whenever he likes.