DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

"The other secret, and why it’s still a secret, I don’t know, but they just took what Deadpool is in the comics," Feige continued. "He breaks the fourth wall. He talks into the camera. He doesn’t give a shit about any of the other heroes. He doesn’t take anything seriously. All of that is what made Deadpool so popular in the comics. Tim and his writers and Ryan Reynolds were able to get that and even magnify that up on the big screen. We’ve always said if there’s any 'secret' it’s respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was. 'Deadpool' hit on all cylinders with that."

Feige basically explaining why the Marvel movies are so much better than the non-marvel made ones (Exception: Deadpool apparently).

• Like 1

Man, that was a good time. I don't have any complaints. Like, none. That's the Spider-Man I've been waiting for. And the Black Panther too, even though I didn't even realize I wanted him at all. Even Vision! Man, Vision was really cool.

• Like 2

I agree with Steve, I highly enjoyed Civil War. I really liked BvS too. I just go in, hope the movie is fun and in 2016. We're 3 for 3. I know I'm in minority in that but personally, I did.

I'm definitely in on the next Spider-Man movie. Me and my friend we're talking about that for a bit afterwards wondering who will be the villain in that. I just hope if we have to visit his origin it'll be brief.

• Like 1

I really liked it. I thought Zemo was great. He was different but there was a lot in him that felt spiritually like Zemo to me. 

I knew the second we saw the car at the beginning what was going on, even though I didn't think they were going to go that way when they mentioned the car accident at some point over the last few years but I was really happily surprised that it wasn't the starting point but the endgame. I thought the characters were hugely consistent to their MCU selves. There were times where you were hugely frustrated with Tony, but at the end of the day, you weren't surprised, because it was Tony being Tony.

I was trying to explain Spider-Man to a long time comics fan, and it was hard. There's something so safe and conservative about the Peter we've had for my entire life, really, something where he's too relatable, too like us, too comforting. There was that Queens edge to him here, poor in a way that I can't fully relate to, awkward and bright-eyed in a way that isn't just 60s nerdy. The accent matters more than you could imagine. I know Spider-Man like the back of my hand and this was something that felt different in a challenging sort of way but so right at the same time. You look at it and you think "Yeah, that's it! Why didn't we have that before?" when it's something you didn't entirely know you ever wanted out of a character you know so well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Control said:

Has Hawkeye ever been referred to as Hawkeye in a Marvel movie? They always just call him Clint or Agent Barton.

Yes.  Black Widow called him Hawkeye at least once in Avengers.   Selvig also called him "the hawk."

Saw it earlier today. Its definitely around the top for Marvel movies for me. I rank it at least on par with Winter Soldier. I loved Black Panther and can't wait to see what they do with his solo film. Holland was great as Spider-man and actually has me looking forward to another damn reboot of Spider-man. I thought Zemo was fine in his role, but I've never really read much of him from the comics so they couldn't really annoy me much there. I thought they did a nice balance of the characters. I'm really lookign forward to seeign what the Russos do with the next Avengers films.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Just got back from watching CW. Thought it was good, not great. Pretty much wasted my two favorite Cap villains. BP and Spidey were real highlights and I'll echo whoever said that was the best IM performance by Downey. Liked that there was some actual balance between Cap and Stark's viewpoints and not IM being all over the damn movie with Cap nowhere to be seen a la BvS. Really hated that they shoehorned in that mom from the comic(only here, she's a government official instead of random mother) to make Tony feel guilty and move the plot along.

Also, when did Cap find out it was Bucky that killed the Starks? In WS, he and Natasha weren't with Zola long enough to find that out, I thought. I remember a screen showing Howard was deceased, but nothing saying it was Bucky that did it.

I saw it, and I'm in the "it's good but not great" category.  I liked the first two Cap movies better.  It leans a lot harder on fight scenes than the previous installments; and while the one at the airport is admittedly perfect and glorious, the action scenes are so frequent that they started feeling repetitive.  Too many of the philosophical ideas it brought up were just abandoned by the need to show Cap hitting even more guys in the face with his shield.  

And "Baron Zemo" was bullshit, through and through.  Exactly what the fuck about this character WAS supposed to be Zemo in the first place?  Aside from "he's a white guy who schemes to take down Steve Rogers", there's literally not one single goddamn similarity between Frederich Zoller here and the character in the comics.  He's not Helmut Zemo, period.  Shit, the Mandarin (as presented in the first half of IM3 anyway) had more in common with the comic book villain than this guy had in common with any version of Baron Zemo.  They shouldn't have even used that name, it's simply not the same character at all.  AND his plan was nonsense, a ridiculously contrived method involving way too many variables to predict the things he predicted, all in service of showing Tony a video which he could've just uploaded to fuckin' Youtube instead.  And SERIOUSLY, we're fighting ANOTHER villain which Tony Stark managed to create through his own careless actions in the past?  How many fucking times do we have to reuse this same cliche?  

• Like 1

All of that is on point and I still enjoyed it.

The intro of Spider-Man was the laziest of all. Tony Stark is like "I saw a video and figured out your secret identity because I'm Tony Stark. Now fight some superheroes you've never met!" But it was fine.

• Like 2

We saw it at the IMAX tonight. I really liked it. I thought the Russos/script did  fine job of balancing the humor with the more serious stuff and even the shit in the TV spots that seemed like it was played for humor was more misleading than anything so I loved the tone of it. The action was all awesome but I'm not sure I loved the airport scene as much as everyone else seems to. It was hyped as the best scene ever and I felt it was a really good scene but fell short after all the hype.

Black Panther was great. Spider-Man was cool but people need to get a grip calling him the best ever Spider-Man. After 10 minutes?  Come on.

There were a couple negatives. Zemo sucked. I don't mean just the character or the portrayal, like the whole performance really sucked too and didn't need to be in this at all.

Some of the side characters weren't given anything to do. We still don't know anything about Vision or Scarlet Witch.

Overall a very good movie.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, Buy Me a Burrito said:

I'm a Superman fanboy. 

With that being said, it's amazing how many things Civil War got right and how many things BvS got so unbelievably wrong. 

Type of BS I would expect from you ignoring that CW has a lot of the same issues

12 minutes ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

That would hurt if it came from anyone else but the guy who spent a weekend teary eyed and explaining away any criticism of a Zack Snyder movie. 

Uh, I enjoyed the hell out of Civil War. We go and see all of these comic book movies. Your criticisms of BvS were heroes that were "murdering", a villain that sucked and lazy introductions to well known characters.  Well...   okay then.

I actually do think CW and BvS suffered from some of the same problems: too many characters to juggle, the trumped-up conflict between the feuding heroes feeling overly contrived, a lame villain who fooled more people than he really should have, and Wonder Woman/Spider Man making you wish you were watching their standalone movie instead of the flick we've actually got.  

Difference is, CW didn't suffer nearly as MUCH from those problems.  It actually gave each and every one of its characters (aside from poor Agent 13) some stuff to do and individual moments to shine, while half of BvS's guest appearances only showed up in Youtube teasers.  And except for T'Challa and Zemo, every single one of these people have been featured in previous movies which have already established who they are and what they do.  The setup to make the heroes fight each other felt forced, but it was based on events from previous movies and nowhere near AS forced as BvS's ridiculous "he's very powerful... I MUST DESTROY HIM" so-called motivation (and CW's method of ENDING the fight was so incredibly better that it's not even worth discussing).  The script's interpretation of Zemo sucked, but the actor was good enough in the part as written; meanwhile Eisenberg's Luthor was the single worst comic-book villain I've seen since Sam Jackson's ludicrous in-name-only version of The Octopus in Frank Miller's wretched The Spirit.  And the sheer amount of personality that this movie managed to get out of Spider-man in what felt like less screen time than Wonder Woman got, just shows the different level of artistic talent in the different filmmakers' ability to impart information to the audience in an efficient manner.  In literally just two scenes, we know who Peter is, what kind of person he is, what his powers are, why he does what he does; all kinds of things we still don't know about Wonder Woman at the end of her movie.  

And one BIG difference: the action is totally, incomparably, infinitely better in Civil War.  Even the stairway fight that Matt mentioned was easily superior to any fight scene in Batman v Superman, and said stairway fight was only like the FIFTH-best action scene in its own movie.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Uh, I enjoyed the hell out of Civil War. We go and see all of these comic book movies. Your criticisms of BvS were heroes that were "murdering", a villain that sucked and lazy introductions to well known characters.  Well...   okay then.

Actually I never posted my thoughts on BvS on this board because I didn't have the time or energy to deal with you. 

Civil War has its flaws. BvS had its flaws. Civil War had a hell of a lot less flaws. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Actually I never posted my thoughts on BvS on this board because I didn't have the time or energy to deal with you. 

Civil War has its flaws. BvS had its flaws. Civil War had a hell of a lot less flaws. 

Great. We can move on then because I really liked Civil War and I'm looking forward to where all this goes. I mean obviously Thanos but how do we get there and how do they deal with it. Very interesting.  Thor 3 could be a sleeper also.