DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

so, to interrupt the Cap3 talk, since it's not officially released yet, i ask this question to those who follow this closer than i do:

was the proposed/postponed/cancelled "Inhumans" film set to do anything with the "Agents of SHIELD" show, or was it expected to feature Black Bolt and Co.? It would seem weird to spin the Agents of SHIELD show into their own movie, but it seem equally (or moreso) weird to feature an entirely new cast of characters that barely/doesn't mention the characters that have been introduced for the past 2 seasons.

And this is probably moot anyway since the existence of the movie is now up in the air. But have there been any talks about characters or storylines that have been made public?

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

so, to interrupt the Cap3 talk, since it's not officially released yet, i ask this question to those who follow this closer than i do:

was the proposed/postponed/cancelled "Inhumans" film set to do anything with the "Agents of SHIELD" show, or was it expected to feature Black Bolt and Co.? It would seem weird to spin the Agents of SHIELD show into their own movie, but it seem equally (or moreso) weird to feature an entirely new cast of characters that barely/doesn't mention the characters that have been introduced for the past 2 seasons.

And this is probably moot anyway since the existence of the movie is now up in the air. But have there been any talks about characters or storylines that have been made public?

The film was always going to be based on the Inhuman royal family. Its also why it was so damn stupid to go so far into the concept in AoS.

• Like 1

Vin Diesel was lobbying for the Black Bolt role. I don't think it was stupid for AoS to introduce Inhumans and build up to the movie, either. Introduce the idea, go in depth with it over a few seasons, and then do some tie-ins. I'll say this though - it's pretty dumb to do Inhumans on AoS when the movie was YEARS away (at the time). If it was coming out next year, then it'd make sense to start mentioning the Royal Family and building to it. 2019 though? Yeahhhh, no.

• Like 2

I believe the inherent problem with introducing Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD meant they could only take the concept to a certain point.  Meaning they can't really introduce or reference the Royal Family yet because they have to wait for the films to do that.  Yet there is this sense about AfterLife answering to a higher power or following the laws of the Royal Family, but they can't take it that far.  It seems the Inhumans have their own hidden laws, rules and government, but they pretty much stopped that at Jiaying.  Before Jiaying was re-established, I recall there was this council of Inhuman bosses who weren't crazy about Skye's presence in AfterLife.  

So now we have Inhumans sprouting all over the planet, is this of interest to the Royal Family?  Do they know about this?  Does AfterLife have any connection or communication with them? 

I think they let them do Inhumans in AOS because there was no immediate need for them in the movies yet.  Now they are dragging their feet on the Inhumans movie which has a low priority.  It's understandable.  Inhumans IMHO is an even tougher nut to crack than Thor or even Guardians of the Galaxy.  For starters, the leader is a veritable mute and can only talk once in a while in short single syllable words.  He can't converse with any other characters.  Historically, Hollywood has trouble dealing with mute characters in lead roles like this for big movies.  This is apparently why they couldn't explore a Scarlet and Snake-Eyes romance in GI Joe.  

It's more basic than that.  Marvel's been pushing hard to raise the Inhumans profile - supposedly because of an editorial decision to de-emphasize mutants due to not owning the rights/fighting with Fox over this (I was told by someone who worked in the Marvel offices that this was really a thing, not just a Rich Johnson rumor)

Skye and co. should be mutants.  It'd make life so much simpler for everyone.

On 5/1/2016 at 2:43 PM, TheVileOne said:

. This is apparently why they couldn't explore a Scarlet and Snake-Eyes romance in GI Joe.  

Snake isn't just a mute.  His face is still a mess despite the multiple reconstructive surgeries done to correct the damage after the helicopter crash that disfigured him.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Snake isn't just a mute.  His face is still a mess despite the multiple reconstructive surgeries done to correct the damage after the helicopter crash that disfigured him.

Movies never really established this.  He's just mute and that's it.

As promised my longer Captain America: Civil War review follows...

Allow me to flashback to Captain America: Civil War’s announcement in October 2014 namely its subtitle. I was happy the writers for all three Cap films, Christopher Markus/Steohen McFreely and Anthony/Joe Russo who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier returned for this. I was concerned as I like how the solo films focus on that characters world and time would be taken away from them. We had Iron Man and Black Panther for sure, possibly Spider-Man as well which did happen. The large cast was a worry. Turns out these doubts didn’t come to pass thankfully. Captain America: Civil War is a great film.

Captain America: Civil War enters my top three Marvel Cinematic Universe films with Avengers Assemble and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It’s the order I’m not sure on. I think it’s because they’re close in quality, I’ve seen the first two more than the new release and there’s a lot to take in that film. Spider-Man is terrific, steals the show. Welcome home, Spidey! Ant-Man is a highlight, very funny. Black Panther’s entry needs a mention. The airport sequence is memorable, easily the best comic book film fight ever. The Cap trilogy is second only to The Dark Knight trilogy when it comes to comic book ones and a great trilogy outside the genre too.

Spoiler thoughts:

Avengers Assemble, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War does a much better job of balancing a big lineup than Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The film’s opening set piece starts the film with a flyer as the new Avengers are out to stop Crossbones and his group acquiring a biological weapon.

Did anyone like me catch Sharon Carter’s eulogy to Peggy Carter referenced the famous Captain America speech in Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man by J Michael Straczynski? Here it is:

captain-america-wikilieaks10-109758.jpg

I sat right up when the word Queens came up on the screen as you follow a guy’s back knowing what this meant.

I believe this was the first appearance of the Raft in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier implied the Winter Soldier killed Tony Stark’s parents, it’s confirmed here.

James “Bucky” Barnes is an interesting character. Friends with Steve Rogers from childhood and in the army together, Bucky is brainwashed into becoming the Winter Soldier for the side he opposed, remembers who he is and has guilt for his actions when under their control.

I liked the credits scenes. The mid-credit surprised me as Bucky Barnes volunteered to be put back in stasis so he isn’t a danger under the care of Black Panther at Wakanda. Post-credit has Peter Parker telling Aunt May he got into a fight with a guy called Steve from Brooklyn, the light from his new webshooters protects Spidey’s signal from the comic books. Not sure about the high tech.

• Like 2

Zemo's a bit of a lame duck here.  Other than that I enjoyed the movie.  The truth is this is just as much an Iron Man movie as it is a Captain America movie.  Simple fact.  I'm fine with it though because this seemed to rectify a lot of problems I had with Tony's development in Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron.  I think it's Downey's best performance as the character.

I think Russos overall do the best job of balancing the humor with the serious stuff and balancing so many characters.  It's a balancing act that Whedon was not really able to achieve in Age of Ultron.

It does fix the general stupidity of the original Civil War comics and why they didn't work as a story.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Zemo's a bit of a lame duck here.  Other than that I enjoyed the movie.  The truth is this is just as much an Iron Man movie as it is a Captain America movie.  Simple fact.  I'm fine with it though because this seemed to rectify a lot of problems I had with Tony's development in Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron.  I think it's Downey's best performance as the character.

I think Russos overall do the best job of balancing the humor with the serious stuff and balancing so many characters.  It's a balancing act that Whedon was not really able to achieve in Age of Ultron.

It does fix the general stupidity of the original Civil War comics and why they didn't work as a story.

Good review. What did you think about the characters particularly the debutantes Spider-Man and Black Panther?

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Good review. What did you think about the characters particularly the debutantes Spider-Man and Black Panther?

I liked them and I look forward to new Spidey movie.  It was an adjustment to seeing Peter and May living in an apartment.  But seeing Tony flirt and hit on Aunt May was funny.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Movies never really established this.  He's just mute and that's it.

Snake is mute in the movies?.  I thought Snake just took a vow of silence in a fit of self-flagellation after Storm Shadow killed the Hard Master before Snake could do anything about it? 

Snake can speak; he just chooses not to as a matter of conviction.

Supposedly Snake would speak again once Storm Shadow was made to pay for his crime until the movie sequel put in that little bit of bullshit where Zartan disguised as Storm Shadow was actually responsible for the Hard Master's murder and Storm Shadow infiltrated COBRA in order to avenge the Hard Master by killing Zartan.

My full review of Captain America: Civil War is up.

Basically, this version of Zemo kinda sucks.  Spider-Man really could've been easily removed, but his scenes are so awesome that you won't really care.  Russos do balance characters and plot development better than Whedon did in Age of Ultron.  

This is my favorite performance Downey's ever done for Iron Man.  The movie really should be titled Captain America vs. Iron Man, but in light of recent events, it's probably for the better they did not.  

• Like 1

Going back to what we were talking about a week or so ago about how INFINITY WAR PART 1 and PART 2 were in fact two different movies...

Today the Russos confirmed that the films will no longer be called INFINITY WAR PART 1 and PART 2.

MCU Films as rated on Rotten Tomatoes:

Iron Man (2008), 94% Certified Fresh

Avengers Assemble (2012), 92% Certified Fresh

Captain America: Civil War (2016), 92% Certified Fresh

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), 91% Certified Fresh

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), 89% Certified Fresh

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), 80% Certified Fresh

Ant-Man (2015), 80% Certified Fresh

Iron Man 3 (2013), 79% Certified Fresh

Thor (2011), 77% Certified Fresh

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), 75% Certified Fresh

Iron Man 2 (2010), 72% Certified Fresh

The Incredible Hulk (2008), 67% Certified Fresh

Thor: The Dark World (2013), 66%  Certified Fresh

Two non-spoiler questions since I won't see the movie til next week:

1) As someone who legit thinks Zemo is Cap's most interesting opponent, how unhappy will I be with his treatment here?

2) Does Martin Freeman get to be awesome as Ross, or is it Captain Phasma-level "just wait until the NEXT movie I'm in!" sidebar stuff?  I had presumed he was here mostly to set up BP, but I still want him to be memorable.

57 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Two non-spoiler questions since I won't see the movie til next week:

1) As someone who legit thinks Zemo is Cap's most interesting opponent, how unhappy will I be with his treatment here?

2) Does Martin Freeman get to be awesome as Ross, or is it Captain Phasma-level "just wait until the NEXT movie I'm in!" sidebar stuff?  I had presumed he was here mostly to set up BP, but I still want him to be memorable.

1) Furious.

2) More the latter.

This is gonna be another Avengers for me because while I had a good time the whole way, I already have a ton of problems with the film. Black Panther is not one of them because damn he is perfect. Easily the best part of the film for me.

Also this movie is SO SIMILAR to BvS in a lot of ways and I don't know that it's inherently better. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. And boy howdy I know that's gonna be an unpopular contentious opinion too.

I'm not sure where to rank Civil War, I liked it but I certainly didn't love it. The big fight was super disappointing, it's like an overly long SNL skit that exists so every character can get their one liner in and considering the number of characters in that scene, it goes on for like 10-15 minutes. At no point does it feel like anyone is in danger, it's just a kid talking to himself while smashing action figures together. And then...

War Machine gets hurt. Did he die?! No, and he's probably going to be walking faster than you can say Felicity Smoak.

How did Tony figure out Peter Parker was Spider-Man? 

I like Winter Solider and Black Panther, looking forward to his solo movie.

Also, this is the second 'Avengers' movie  in a row that...

Raises a bunch of ethical questions about the Avengers to reach for depth then abandons them without an answer because it's action time. Which is doubly frustrating because if they just had T'Chaka show up because of vibranium in Sokovia and had Zemo frame Bucky the same way you could have had the same basic plot beats including all the Black Panther/Tony stuff without feeling like they'd abandoned the ethical debate around registration. Which probably would have made it a better, tighter plotted movie.

Also for all the guff BvS gets for Batman trying to kill Superman, this has:

Vision trying to murder Falcon on Tony's orders and nearly killing Rhodey with the miss AND the big final battle being Tony trying to murder Bucky in revenge and seeming pretty willing to kill Steve if he needed to in order to get there. And that's ignoring Black Panther trying to kill Bucky all movie because I've never felt the character opposes killing and it gets paid off well.

Also, what a fucking waste of

Crossbones.

I really hope Bucky has a large part in the Black Panther movie. Klaw takes over the country, T'Challa has to sneak into the mansion and thaw out his old enemy for help.

Movie was fantastic. From top to bottom.

• Like 1

You know how, at the end of the first Avengers film, it established the team as Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Widow and Hawkeye, and then at the end of Ultron it was made clear that the team now was Cap, Widow, Falcon, War Machine, Vision and Witch? What is the full roster of the Avengers after Civil War? Is it seriously

Spoiler

just Iron Man and Vision and nobody else?

What if there's a major disaster that needs a large team to solve it, but it's not one that's so bad it needs

Spoiler

The Outlaw Avengers team of Cap, Falcon, Hawkeye, Widow and Ant Man to come out of hiding and possibly face arrest as soon as the crisis is averted

?