DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

So yeah, for those of you that thought that Team Iron Man was short handed.....

I like the chemistry between Evangeline Lilly and Paul Rudd in Ant Man and I enjoyed the fact that Hope van Dyne was an even bigger badass than Scott Lang:

So I am praying this Ant Man / Wasp movie will be good.

I have no idea who the antagonist(s) should be.  Maybe keep the heist / corporate espionage feel of the first movie and make Roxxon the BBEG and give them a team of B-Listers like The Eel. the Gladiator, Discus, Stiletto, or the Beetle or do something else with AIM now that Killean is dead and AIM's days as a legit government contractor are don?

You need to check out the current ant-man book, where scott has a bunch of c-list reformed villains as a crew.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

So yeah, for those of you that thought that Team Iron Man was short handed.....

I like the chemistry between Evangeline Lilly and Paul Rudd in Ant Man and I enjoyed the fact that Hope van Dyne was an even bigger badass than Scott Lang:

So I am praying this Ant Man / Wasp movie will be good.

I have no idea who the antagonist(s) should be.  Maybe keep the heist / corporate espionage feel of the first movie and make Roxxon the BBEG and give them a team of B-Listers like The Eel. the Gladiator, Discus, Stiletto, or the Beetle or do something else with AIM now that Killean is dead and AIM's days as a legit government contractor are don?

I liked Ant-Man preferring it to the other MCU release last year, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ant-Man turned out better than expected with the Marvel Studios/Edgar Wright issues resulting in Wright getting replaced as director with Peyton Reed.

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Just came back from the midnight screening.

IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. FUCK YEAH. NOT-QUITE-AS-GOOD-AS-GUARDIANS-BUT-STILL-FUCKING-GOOD. BRA-FUCKING-VO.

Glad to hear it. Where are you from?

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You need to check out the current ant-man book, where scott has a bunch of c-list reformed villains as a crew.

I think America is ready for Ant-Man & The Wasp vs. THE STILT MAN~!

Especially since given the tone of the Daredevil series on Netflix, there is no way that Stilt Man will appear in the MCU opposite his traditional rival.

For some reason, I am under the impression that the more ridiculous or obscure the villain, the better the Ant-Man / Wasp movie will be.  I guess I want to see the running joke of Ant-Man being a silly name for a super hero carry through to his antagonist opposition.

You make fun of a man named Swarm until he envelops you in a cloud of bees and you get stung to death.  What a fucked up way to get killed..

Funny how your hypocrisy shows from one film to the next.  The thing I hate most about Iron Man 3 was the neutering of The Mandarin, yet I totally support the new concept for the Ancient One in the Doctor Strange movie as not to fall into the 60's and 70's stereotypes of Asian characters.

I guess I really wanted to see the Mandarin use those power rings in the big showdown.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I liked Ant-Man preferring it to the other MCU release last year, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ant-Man turned out better than expected with the Marvel Studios/Edgar Wright issues resulting in Wright getting replaced as director with Peyton Reed.

Glad to hear it. Where are you from?

Melbourne, Aus.

I will say this. If the goal was to make you want to see the new Spiderman film, they smash it out the park ten times over. One of the best cameos ever.

New Black Panther film? Ehh, not so much.

• Like 2

I just came back from the cinema. I liked it a lot, but don't think I loved it quite as much as Roland. There definitely were a few flaws for me.

Don't know where I would rank it as far as MCU movies go, but not in the Top 3 I think.

There was one little cameo out of the ordinary, that got a kick out of me:

Spoiler

Jim Rash plays the dean of a university.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Funny how your hypocrisy shows from one film to the next.  The thing I hate most about Iron Man 3 was the neutering of The Mandarin, yet I totally support the new concept for the Ancient One in the Doctor Strange movie as not to fall into the 60's and 70's stereotypes of Asian characters.

I guess I really wanted to see the Mandarin use those power rings in the big showdown.

I don't know what Marvel is thinking. The statement they issues did them no favors. They claim even though they are clearly in Tibet that she's Celtic. The role didn't have to be stereotypical but it would have been cool if they cast an Asian actor.

They don't need the Ancient One to be far Eastern, they've already got their Asian quota filled with Benedict Wong playing Wong. Whereas the female quota was a little short.

11 hours ago, The Z said:

I just came back from the cinema. I liked it a lot, but don't think I loved it quite as much as Roland. There definitely were a few flaws for me.

Don't know where I would rank it as far as MCU movies go, but not in the Top 3 I think.

There was one little cameo out of the ordinary, that got a kick out of me:

Reveal hidden contents

Jim Rash plays the dean of a university.

That's two straight cameos of that nature for the Russos. Can't wait to see who sneaks into Infinity War.

Saw Civil War yesterday and it's pretty damn good as far as Marvel movies go.Really, really dug Spidey and Black Panther. Winter Soldier was its usual bad ass self.

Also liked the balance between Stark and Cap. I was afraid they would take the comic book route and make Stark the complete villain, but his motivations and reasons are justified. 

Official new MCU POWER RANKING TOP 3:

1. Winter Soldier.
2. Civil War.
3. Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Like 1

The cat's out of the bag on the Spider-Man cameo, surely. Why is he not on any of these posters or anything? Seems like they should be touting that fact more than they are. I mean there's only been, what, a trailer and a TV spot that had footage of Spider-Man? 

On 28/04/2016 at 11:33 AM, The Natural said:

OMG.jpg

Seeing this tomorrow. Will try and give feedback ASAP.

I'm at the library so don't have the time for longer posts.

Captain America: Civil War is a great film. Spider-Man is brilliant, steals the show. So well done. Welcome home, Spidey. Ant-Man is a definite highlight, very funny. Black Panther's intro needs a mention too. The airport sequence is memorable, best comic book film fight ever.

Did anyone catch like me Sharon Carter's ulogy to Peggy Carter referenced the famous J Michael Straczynski Captain America speech from Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man?

This the first MCU film to feature The Raft, right?

In conclusion, Captain America: Civil War enters my top three MCU films with Avengers Assemble (2012) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), just not sure about the order.

22 hours ago, steve said:

Bucky should wear the mask more often. The combination of the haircut and Stan's face has always looked a little goofy to me.

I understand why Bucky doesn't wear the mask so we can see his face emote. I prefer the goggles/mask on, it's an improvement to the domino mask. Winter Soldier's outfit in Captain America: The Winter Soldier is like he's taken from the comic book.

Me and Xavi saw Civil War this afternoon. Yes, it's very good... and very little like the comics. The only disappointment I had was

Spoiler

the lack of supervillain cameos in the raft. They couldn't have got Justin Hammer or Emil Blonsky for a couple of seconds, to lean against the bars and growl a bit?

which is (no spoiler) a really minor nitpick. Spider-Man was finally the wisecracking kid from the comics, and they gave him a lot more time than I thought they would. It's really good how the trailer misled everyone as to what happened when and by whom - so you go in knowing less than you thought you did. And it pulls off the far from easy trick of fully satisfying you and also leaving you wanting more, wanting to see what happens next.

Did anyone stay to the very end of the credits? I did see the mid-credits scene, but we both urgently needed a bathroom break after that and couldn't be bothered to go back in.

There is a end-credits scene.

Spoiler

It's a scene with Peter Parker and Aunt May. Peter tests out a spider-signal (which I assume he got from Tony Stark) and tries to hide it from Aunt May.

• Like 1

Its so good. My new favourite Marvel film. 

Spiderman knocks it out of the park. Ant-Man is hilarious. There's actually not one weak cast member in this in my opinion. The 6 v 6 airport fight was so well done and i legit thought Iron Man was dead at the end (unlikely but it was so well done).