DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

With the movies finally here and folks already seeing Civil War - plus Inhumans losing its release date (and the other changes already announced)

Here is the updated (for now) Phase III lineup

Captain America: Civil War    May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange    November 4, 2016
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2    May 5, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming    July 7, 2017
Thor: Ragnarok    November 3, 2017
Black Panther    February 16, 2018
Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1    May 4, 2018
Ant-Man and the Wasp    July 6, 2018
Captain Marvel    March 8, 2019
Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2    May 3, 2019

I love that nobody reacted to the Inhumans film getting pulled a couple weeks ago to make room for Indy 5, and now again no one cares that it's been pulled altogether.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE INHUMANS A THING, MARVEL

• Like 2

I'm excited for Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and Black Panther.  Obviously The Infinity Wars too but still two years out!

I'm less excited for another Thor and another Spider-Man film especially seeing how it's starring more Avengers. Can we have one movie where Spider-Man doesn't have to share screen time with them? It's like Marvel forgot who the A+ character is.

So there are two MCU movies between the Infinity Wars films? Wonder how that will work? I just assumed it was going to be like, say, The Hunger Games where Pt.2 is a direct continuation of where Pt.1 leaves off. Is that not the case?

22 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

So there are two MCU movies between the Infinity Wars films? Wonder how that will work? I just assumed it was going to be like, say, The Hunger Games where Pt.2 is a direct continuation of where Pt.1 leaves off. Is that not the case?

No, according to the Russos, the Pt. 1/Pt. 2 business is a little misdleading.  These will be two different films, filmed separately, so it's unlikely there will be a direct cliffhanger where the action resumes relatively quickly from the first film.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well WWE is the king of "WAIT! IT'S FEBRUARY!!! LOOK WE HAVE BLACK WRESTLERS!!!"

So this is quite the LOOK!!! WE HAVE BLACK SUPERHEROS!!!!

Um, I think I want to withdraw my objection. 

I'm currently rereading Christopher Priest's very good run writing the Black Panther comic.  The series is about 20 years old, but Marvel just started collecting it into trade paperbacks last fall.  Priest did a great job exploring the heritage of the character and his country - up until sales started to fall, and Marvel Editorial decided the way to boost interest in the book was replace the main character with a biracial, borderline corrupt cop who lived in Harlem (Priest refers to the character as "Vin Diesel" and claimed in an interview he pitched the new direction of the book as a parody of Spider-man in the hope that the pitch would be so ridiculous Marvel would relent and let him keep writing T'Challa as the Panther).

This sounds like something Vince would come up with.

Also, considering comic-book Sam Wilson's backstory, I don't think I'd want to make him my flagship minority character, lol.

The only 2 months of the year that don't have a $200+ million earner are January and September (although if you adjust for inflation, I'm sure you could find a few from way back).  And I'm sure they'll figure out a way to conquer those one day, too.

I ended up seeing Deadpool in theaters but I didn't bother to get presales because I knew the weather would probably be shitty.  Weather concerns and school in session are still factors in those months. I wish maybe Marvel had a little more faith in Black Panther.  They give it a February release and now if it "underperforms" compared to something like Ant-Man they are going to be "see! we were right!" and he'll never get another solo.

46 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Opening the film in February isn't such a terrible move.  Films can have success in February now.

Opening in Feb is not a bad move at all - and they have three that year so they are spacing them out.

It just so happens they are opening the Black Superhero movie in February

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wish maybe Marvel had a little more faith in Black Panther.  They give it a February release and now if it "underperforms" compared to something like Ant-Man they are going to be "see! we were right!" and he'll never get another solo.

You have a strange view of how businesses work.

• Like 3