DVDVR Message Board

RIP, Prince

Gonzo

Kerrang really was the British Hit Parader, damn. Nothing against Prince but hey. 

"1999" came on at work today (they played "Raspberry Beret" the other day and usually only play "Little Red Corvette" once in a blue moon). I said to myself, "Hello, Purple One" and a big grin came on my face. Sad that it takes death to really dig into a musician and realize their greatness sometimes. 

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The vault has reportedly been drilled open. Allegedly enough songs to release a new album a year for the next century.

Yea, I heard that recently. Thing is, the Vault was apparently temperature controlled (due to the nature of the tapes in there). So if they haven't taken that into account and there's older tapes which haven't been digitized then they could have inadvertently ruined some of the master tapes in there. Although that would be dependent on the current state of the tape(s) themselves. As an example, I think the BBC had an issue with some of their master recordings of TV shows a while back and they had to preserve them to digital quickly before losing them. It's been rumored/speculated that if Prince does have a will it may say to destroy all the Vault recordings, but I think that although they are songs which he believed weren't up to his quality standards of the time, or fit in with the theme(s) of certain albums there are some songs in it which I'm sure avid collectors will snap up once available commercially and the Vault is really his life's work and legacy. Prince was a 110% dedicated to his craft and I think that fact needs to be documented and celebrated. I don't think they should flood the market with product, but bring out the original configuration of the Dream Factory, a Purple Rain set with the original orchestral score and outtakes of the time period, UTCM with bonus tracks (outtakes/12inch mixes/B-sides), a Crystal Ball Vol II where his fans vote for the songs to be included and keep that continuing, but at a manageable pace. Plus they can release deluxe/super deluxe editions of almost every album, especially the Warner Bros albums and then the NPG label albums. I'm sure there's concerts, music videos, documentary style footage etc. so Prince's estate have a great opportunity to put out some awesome stuff for his fans. It's just that it needs to be done in the right way and I would try and involve the fanbase as much as possible too because they are more familiar with the unreleased songs already and know which will appeal to a more mainstream audience. 

99 Items found in Prince's Secret Vault

https://www.aux.tv/2016/05/99-items-found-in-princes-secret-vault/

*Morris Day-narrated Koko B. Ware documentary film*

Batdance Project — Remixes and expanded versions featuring Roxette as Catwoman.

Robin — Concept album dedicated to Robin to coincide with the Batman And Robin film release

Joker — Tribute album to Heath Ledger.

Purple Rain 2: The Purpling.

T.C. Bear outfit — Built to scale.

T.C.-Bear.jpg

I highly doubt any of that is real but if so, awesome. 

Me and a couple of my friends went out to see Purple Rain at the theater last night and it was so fun. I've only caught it about halfway through and edited for TV the last little while, and seeing how incredibly cheesy and Blaxploitation it was as a whole was a riot. There were moments where me and my best buddy were dying of laughter and then he played "Purple Rain" and I fucking teared up. And just because it's funny isn't to discredit the man for his work, there is clearly some very dark autobiographical stuff in there that I'm surprised that a man of his reclusive nature would share in any public forum, especially a hit movie. 

Then we all went back to the apartment and swapped stories of how right after he died we all coincidentally saw a purple sky (two different people), a huge row of purple blossoms on trees, one of us buying 1999 on double LP out of nowhere from Goodwill, etc. Thank you Prince, good times.

32 minutes ago, SolidGoldBomb said:

man.

Robin — Concept album dedicated to Robin to coincide with the Batman And Robin film release

Joker — Tribute album to Heath Ledger.

Purple Rain 2: The Purpling.

T.C. Bear outfit — Built to scale.

I want to see that Koko B. Ware doc.

• Like 1

I have to assume that at least SOME of that is bullshit.  Prince doing albums with Minneapolis legends like Mould and Pirner? I can see that.  Prince doing a concept album about Transformers?  No fucking way that's real.  (But if it is, I'd buy it.)

The Mould collaboration is apparently not true. I don't know what to believe about some of the vault rumors, but Prince was an insanely prolific songwriter. It wouldn't surprise me if he wrote so much music he didn't have lyrics for that he used stuff he saw on television like wrestling or Transformers as inspiration for filler lyrics until he took another pass at the song. Dylan famously has a lot of songs on the bootleg albums where it's just stream of consciousness words to figure out the melody before he goes back and actually writes. If there are songs about Bock or Optimus Prime I'm guessing it's something like that.