DVDVR Message Board

RIP, Prince

Gonzo

Just now, zev said:

I still remember going to see Under The Cherry Moon in the theater opening weekend.

I watched it late night on some movie channel back in December for the first time, and was in awe. I've never seen a black and white movie that was so vibrate. if that makes any sense. 

• Like 1

I remember being a youngster with a small old tv in my room who would often have it on to help me try to go to sleep.  I recall one night being awake when Arsenio started and Prince was the featured act.  He came out with some odd sort of gold chain mask and I believe a pistol shaped mic performing My Name Is Prince (still love that song, it is like pure swagger).  It was pretty great and stuck with me even though I didn't really get around to listening to much in the way of Prince until many years later.

And so those of us born in the late sixties-early seventies continue to hurtle into that phase of life where death starts regularly kicking us in the kidneys, be it a loved one or icons of our teen and young adult years

Dude was a goddamned talent. Screw five-tool player — he had a dozen. Could play any instrument, cross and merge genres — sometimes on the same track, dance, had the flair and showmanship of James Brown, and was finer-than-fine. He'd steal your girlfriend and you'd be good with it because he was Prince (really — how few people could get away with some of those ludicrous outfits he wore?)

He was the coolest motherfucker on the planet in the eighties, and his aura was enlarged thanks to an air of mystery by largely eschewing the media rounds

14xjmep.png

Prince firebombed the Super Bowl. In the rain. And played the guitar live because that pre-taped shit is for hacks and he was Prince

Credit Neko Case for tweeting that Prince hired female musicians at a time when that. Wasn't. Done. Pushed Wendy & Lisa and Sheila E. and God bless him for it (Sheila, like Prince, is a hybrid mutant-alien)

Vanity and Prince go out in the same year. Oof

Vividly remember ninth grade English when the rock and metal kids in high school argued over who was a better guitar player — Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young (yes), or Neal Schon. HAH. Prince could whip them all. Dare you to listen to his work on "Let's Go Crazy" or "Purple Rain" and not get goosebumps, and that's just off one album

Unfuckable albums — "Master of Puppets", anything by Steely Dan up to "Gaucho" (DON'T YOU JUDGE), and "Purple Rain". This is an undeniable fact of life and your a Truther if you question it

Saw a tweet that Prince recorded "1999" and "Little Red Corvette" in one day. He played all the instruments himself. Google search turned up nothing, but would that be hard to believe?

Consider that "Thriller" was released on Nov. 12, 1983, and "Purple Rain" hit on June 25, 1984. The two best pop albums of the eighties — and two of the greatest albums ever — were released within 266 daze of one another. Fucking nuts

Man, "Sign O' The Times" is going to get a helluva' workout the next few daze

Shine on, you crazy and beautiful and brilliant diamond....

• Like 10

I remember being pissed when Can't Slow Down won the Grammy in '85 because if Born in the U.S.A wasn't going to win, then it should have been Purple Rain. In '88 I was stationed in Giessan, West Germany  and this dude came from the States with this little thing called The Black Album. That's how you become popular; show up with toys no one else has. I bought both Sign "O" the Times and Lovesexy while I was there and they went into my collection, right between Ozzy and Suzi Quatro.  And the women this guy was associated with, professionally and/or romantically! Just a Murderer's Row of Hotness.

I wasn't ready for Prince the first time I heard his music (Controversy) but thankfully I expanded my social circle and opened my mind.  The word genius gets thrown around way too easily, but that is what he was. Genius. Icon. Trail-Blazer. Master of Funk, Soul, Pop and Rock Guitar God. The Artist Forever Known as Prince.

• Like 1

I saw a quote this morning that said comparing Prince to Michael Jackson was always apples to oranges. The better comparison is Prince to Miles Davis. Yup, that one resonates.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, Gonzo said:

I loved that performance.  I was a bit concerned when I first saw this and noticed that there was no mic in front of Prince (HE'S NOT GOING TO PROVIDE VOCALS~?!), but then he took lead stage left and there you have it..

Everyone gets fired up during the solo and the entire band is like "You know what?  Let's play for another three minutes because PRINCE IS FUCKING KILLING IT~!"

• Like 3

Holy shit. It's like Prince is invisible for half the performance then he just materializes like some kind of apparition in front of everyone to just SLAY IT. Then he throws his guitar in the air after the last note and IT VANISHES. That's the greatest mic drop of all time. 

• Like 3

When that aired I can't remember how many times I saw that.  The way he did that for one of my favorites Beatles songs give me MASSIVE goosebumps.  That was around the time I started to appreciate just how good he can be with the guitar and seeing that floored me.

It's amazing how much celebration there is for his life.  Paisley Park constantly has tons of people there, and the club where he did "Purple Rain" has a weekend dance party for him.  And then you see many other big cities and what they're doing for him and it's astounding just how beloved he was/is.  The more I see and the more I hear his stuff the past couple days it really hits hard that he's gone.

• Like 1

The Art Theater here in Champaign, IL is doing FIVE showings of Purple Rain. FIVE. 

Re: that solo, I guess the Clapton quote isn't real, but considering Clapton played the solo on the original version of that song and Prince smoked him, I'd say it might as well be. (Plus Clapton is boring as fuck anyway)

There is something seriously amiss when a man like Prince passes and this vicious old fuck is still alive. I rejoice in my proximity to AZ, because the day will soon come when I can piss on this fucker's grave. And I guarantee you that I will do so.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

There is something seriously amiss when a man like Prince passes and this vicious old fuck is still alive. I rejoice in my proximity to AZ, because the day will soon come when I can piss on this fucker's grave. And I guarantee you that I will do so.

Do me a solid, please, OSJ — guzzle a few Big Gulps before you make the visit and piss on that shitbiscuit's grave for me, too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Holy shit. It's like Prince is invisible for half the performance then he just materializes like some kind of apparition in front of everyone to just SLAY IT. Then he throws his guitar in the air after the last note and IT VANISHES. That's the greatest mic drop of all time. 

I love that video. You have the band playing, and they're all very talented of course, and it's a beautiful song, but they're playing a pretty safe, pedestrian version of it, with the guitarist pretty much just copying Clapton's fills note-for-note. Then all of a sudden you're like "wait, what? where did Prince come from?!" And then he proceeds to just take over and, as you said, totally slays it. All while George Harrison's son looks on, grinning like an idiot (as I would be).

I think George's son grinning like mad is what seals it for me.  It's almost like he's thinking "Holy crap, my dad would have loved this!"  And the others are tickled pink by the solo.  It's one of those things that's worth seeing many, many times, it's just so mesmerizing.

And that guitar toss...I know that's his thing but many are calling that one helluva "drop the mike" moment and I wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 3

I think Prince is #1 on the list of people who I would want to hear cover any song, by any artist all time.  Seriously, he'd absolutely make every single song his own, without ever compromising the soul of the original song.  I listened to that Creep cover and thought, wow I never need to listen to the Radiohead version again.  I think that how a song sounds is secondary to how they feel, and Prince knew how to make music that made you feel.  One of my favorite things about Prince is that it always felt like he absolutely loved playing music, and you could feel that in almost every single song.