DVDVR Message Board

Joan "Chyna" Laurer (1970-2016)

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

I'm still waiting to hear someone freely say they are nice people. Still waiting to hear what good Step has done for the company. HHH is a walking billboard for PED abuse, making him a hypocritice of epic proportions, and when has marrying into a family ever made someone competent to run a business? There's too much shady crap around them for me to believe these are good people and not ruthless individuals willing to do terrible things to maintain power and control. Good for them, but not exactly people I'm gonna be happy for.

You seem to know them a lot better than I do.  All I really know of them is what I see on TV... when they're playing characters.

On 4/26/2016 at 10:01 AM, DTTW said:

Chyna said she found the love letters to Hunter from Step and then confronted him about it. She always portrayed it as Steph pursing and as far as I'm aware the otherside of the equation has always been pretty mum on it probably because it was such a scummy thing to do and Steph is a pr whore.

When has it ever been ok to go after someone who was in a relationship with someone else? They are adults and that's some highschool bs to go after someone in a relationship. If HHH wanted out he should have manned up and did it. 

Okay, I've been quietly steaming over your stupidity for 24 hours. Enough. My wife was in a horrible marriage to someone else when we met, that was 35 years ago. Yeah, we're still together and very happy. That enough highschool bs for you?

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The thing i remember most about the one Miz/Maryse angle was the amazing "bang me" look in her eyes that she gave him. 

Well, she was (probably) in love with the guy at that point.

Granted, he's hyper, crazy and annoying.

But she was still in love with him. 

16 hours ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I've been quietly steaming over your stupidity for 24 hours. Enough. My wife was in a horrible marriage to someone else when we met, that was 35 years ago. Yeah, we're still together and very happy. That enough highschool bs for you?

And: To be fair, HHH wasn't married to Chyna. They had no children.

So, what did he owe her, really?

Like, if you're in a relationship and fall for another person, you can't stay in that bad, unfulfilled relationship. That helps no one.

I have judged Hunter for a lot over the years. But I never once judged him for deciding: "Well, I simply want to be with this other woman more."

In the end, all of them made bad choices.

Chyna had emotional issues from the beginning, and she likely would have been in therapy/on medication no matter who she was with or what she chose as a career.  Being that her career at the time was pro wrestling, it accelerated her problems.  That the other woman involved was the boss' daughter and she had no recourse only made things worse in Chyna's fragile psyche.  In about one year, she went from being a pretty big-time celebrity with a loving live-in boyfriend to said boyfriend dumping her for a rich girl and losing her career over it.  Again, that's likely how Chyna felt regardless of what actually happened.  Perception equals reality. If she believed it, it was true.  And so the two things that meant the most to her were gone.

She felt like she was left with nothing when everyone else lived happily ever after.  And all those feelings of being the so-called ugly duckling resurfaced tenfold.

The issue isn't that Hunter decided to be with Stephanie.  I can certainly appreciate Chyna's hurt over that, but that choice is made every day by lots of people.  The problem is that it's pretty clear Hunter hadn't formally ended things with Chyna, meaning that he was essentially cheating on her.  Now, Hunter may not see it that way.  He may feel that he had emotionally detached himself from that relationship.  Maybe he even told Chyna in so many words that they were over.  But communication broke down somewhere along the way.  Hunter had to have known what Chyna's mindset would be over this.  He wasn't responsible for her mental health, but I wonder how clear and firm he was in letting Chyna know everything.

There was simply no way for Chyna to stay with WWF/WWE after the breakup.  Not with her issues, not with her probably feeling stupid about the whole situation.  Not with seemingly everyone else knowing about Trips/Steph before her. The environment was too toxic, and she would have to leave sooner rather than later, though it could have been on better terms.

And none of this factors in Stephanie's possible behavior during this time.  I'm not accusing her of anything, but we just don't know how she handled all this.  She was fairly young at the time, so it wouldn't be a surprise if she was something of a brat about it--but even saying that with qualifiers is unfair to her.

I don't think any of the three handled the situation just right.  But only two had the psychological resources to deal with the pressure.  And the one who didn't had no one who knew how to truly help her navigate those choppy waters.  Even if HHH wanted to help her, Chyna accused him of some nasty stuff, none of which can be proven and only came from a long-suffering ex looking to lash out. Bridges were burned and now have no chance to be rebuilt.

Chyna is a classic example of someone who didn't start herself out on the wrong road, but also didn't take the best detour to stop her descent. I think she did try to move forward, to be happy.  But her psyche was so damaged at that point.  Only long-term hospitalization would have likely helped, and that didn't seem to ever be an option for her or anyone close to her.

A lovely person couldn't get past her demons and lost the war of life.  That's all that really matters.  And it's very sad that she couldn't see herself as the wonderful woman she clearly was.

• Like 11

On 28/04/2016 at 3:28 PM, Technico Support said:

This company's treatment of women is about standard for a company of it's size and age.

FTFY.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

In the end, all of them made bad choices.

Chyna had emotional issues from the beginning, and she likely would have been in therapy/on medication no matter who she was with or what she chose as a career.  Being that her career at the time was pro wrestling, it accelerated her problems.  That the other woman involved was the boss' daughter and she had no recourse only made things worse in Chyna's fragile psyche.  In about one year, she went from being a pretty big-time celebrity with a loving live-in boyfriend to said boyfriend dumping her for a rich girl and losing her career over it.  Again, that's likely how Chyna felt regardless of what actually happened.  Perception equals reality. If she believed it, it was true.  And so the two things that meant the most to her were gone.

She felt like she was left with nothing when everyone else lived happily ever after.  And all those feelings of being the so-called ugly duckling resurfaced tenfold.

The issue isn't that Hunter decided to be with Stephanie.  I can certainly appreciate Chyna's hurt over that, but that choice is made every day by lots of people.  The problem is that it's pretty clear Hunter hadn't formally ended things with Chyna, meaning that he was essentially cheating on her.  Now, Hunter may not see it that way.  He may feel that he had emotionally detached himself from that relationship.  Maybe he even told Chyna in so many words that they were over.  But communication broke down somewhere along the way.  Hunter had to have known what Chyna's mindset would be over this.  He wasn't responsible for her mental health, but I wonder how clear and firm he was in letting Chyna know everything.

There was simply no way for Chyna to stay with WWF/WWE after the breakup.  Not with her issues, not with her probably feeling stupid about the whole situation.  Not with seemingly everyone else knowing about Trips/Steph before her. The environment was too toxic, and she would have to leave sooner rather than later, though it could have been on better terms.

And none of this factors in Stephanie's possible behavior during this time.  I'm not accusing her of anything, but we just don't know how she handled all this.  She was fairly young at the time, so it wouldn't be a surprise if she was something of a brat about it--but even saying that with qualifiers is unfair to her.

I don't think any of the three handled the situation just right.  But only two had the psychological resources to deal with the pressure.  And the one who didn't had no one who knew how to truly help her navigate those choppy waters.  Even if HHH wanted to help her, Chyna accused him of some nasty stuff, none of which can be proven and only came from a long-suffering ex looking to lash out. Bridges were burned and now have no chance to be rebuilt.

Chyna is a classic example of someone who didn't start herself out on the wrong road, but also didn't take the best detour to stop her descent. I think she did try to move forward, to be happy.  But her psyche was so damaged at that point.  Only long-term hospitalization would have likely helped, and that didn't seem to ever be an option for her or anyone close to her.

A lovely person couldn't get past her demons and lost the war of life.  That's all that really matters.  And it's very sad that she couldn't see herself as the wonderful woman she clearly was.

Burgundy: I'm quoting the whole post because this is very likely the most perceptive and certainly the most well-written assessment of the situation that anyone has posted and that includes Mick Foley. Well done!

• Like 5