DVDVR Message Board

Joan "Chyna" Laurer (1970-2016)

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Uh....wow.  I'm no fan of Stephanie at all but this is just...come on. 

Is there some definitive source that states Stephanie pursued HHH like you say here?  Why does it even matter?  Both are adults who can make their own decisions.  Saying something like that puts a lot of assumptions on two people you don't even know.

I mean, I guess you can talk about workplace propriety and how a higher-up really shouldn't pursue a relationship with a subordinate (yeah, I took that seminar at my job), but this is pro wrestling and the rules of this business have never mirrored those of the real world.  

Chyna said she found the love letters to Hunter from Step and then confronted him about it. She always portrayed it as Steph pursing and as far as I'm aware the otherside of the equation has always been pretty mum on it probably because it was such a scummy thing to do and Steph is a pr whore.

When has it ever been ok to go after someone who was in a relationship with someone else? They are adults and that's some highschool bs to go after someone in a relationship. If HHH wanted out he should have manned up and did it. 

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

Assuming they're telling the truth,

You really think the modern master of politics in wrestling and the daughter of the king of liars and a total pr whore, would do anything that would paint them in a less than positive light?

Damn, I take it you don't like them that much.

Honestly, I never cared to find out the back story about this.  Whether it was due to angle turning into real life or some drama behind the scenes mattered little to me.  And I'm not speaking ill about Chyna, but she's made accusations about relationships that didn't hold water.  I'm having a hard time believing that to be the case, but unless Meltzer had one helluva source we're not going to know how true this is.

45 minutes ago, DTTW said:

You really think the modern master of politics in wrestling and the daughter of the king of liars and a total pr whore, would do anything that would paint them in a less than positive light?

You're a caricature 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Reed said:

She applied to join the FBI in her early 20s too (the Feds, not the wrestling stable).

Yeah, to even apply there and get taken seriously you have to be pretty damn intelligent.

It's sad because you can easily see her life taking another direction and her ending up as some accomplished career woman.  

Now I'm picturing a group of Little Guido, Tracy Smothers and Chyna. 

• Like 2

By the sounds of it, Triple H could have handled the break up a little better.  He should have been upfront with her and not sneaking around with Stephanie (assuming Chyna was telling the truth about that).

But, again: Chyna's not the first person in the world to ever have her heart broken.  Relationships end. It's not an excuse to go into a 15 year downward spiral.  

45 minutes ago, Reed said:

But, again: Chyna's not the first person in the world to ever have her heart broken.  Relationships end. It's not an excuse to go into a 15 year downward spiral.  

It is for some people. Especially those who need a partner to maintain stability, whether they admit it or not. 

With the Steph/HHH stuff it's easy to pass judgment because they've prospered while Chyna struggled for years. But it's important to keep in mind that Chyna/HHH were not married. They were only dating and Chyna had many many issues before and after the breakup. There's no way of knowing where Chyna would've ended up if Steph/HHH had not happened but I think there's a good chance her life would've taken a similar turn.

When someone like Chyna dies after a slow and plodding downward spiral, it feels preventable. Her downfall is something that everyone and their mother watched for over a decade. I do not blame WWE at all for her death, but I do think it's in everyone's interest for WWE to do much more in aiding in the mental/financial well being of ex-talents. Compassion aside, As a publicly traded family entertainment company it looks terrible when ex-stars pass so early.

• Like 2

There was a famous story at the time, because within WWF, there had always been the issues that for whatever reason, the women stars were far more difficult to deal with then the men. The line always given was that when the women started to get stardom, they would become far more unreasonable. Although the flip side is there was also a double standard in the sense that if a male star studied the business and complained, depending on how high on the card they were, their opinions would be listened to or at the least tolerated. If a woman star thought creative made no sense, it was viewed very differently. 

Meltzer calling out WWE's bullshit sexist double standards warms my heart.

That famous story about Sable pointing out, correctly,  to WWE when it came time for contract negotiations, that she was doing TV ratings similar to Austin (Austin in the attitude era! Just think about that for a second) and asking for some more money and WWE basically laughing at her for being a spoiled brat diva still sticks with me to this day.   

• Like 2

IIRC, Lita mentioned in her biography that, when she started to get famous, she constantly had to re-assure the office she wasn't letting it get to her head and she was just lucky and it was mostly WWE and not much to do with her.

Because she knew how they felt about women who got too popular or garnered ratings or sold merch and weren't humble enough.

She was anxious and scared. She admitted this in an official company book.  

A man would not have had to do that, though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Looks like accidental drug overdose but won't know for sure until toxicology results come back in few weeks.

Nat'l Enquirer says it was an OD on Vicodin and Valium.  And allegedly her manager was waiting for the TV show Intervention to come do a special celebrity edition for her. 

Grains of salt and all. 

3 hours ago, Reed said:

Meltzer calling out WWE's bullshit sexist double standards warms my heart.

That famous story about Sable pointing out, correctly,  to WWE when in came time for contract negotiations, that she was doing TV ratings similar to Austin (Austin in the attitude era! Just think about that for a second) and asking for some more money and WWE basically laughing at her for being a spoiled brat diva still sticks with me to this day.   

This is so true.  If a female talent, any time in the history of WWE, acted like Michaels did in his prime, she'd be buried in a desert somewhere.

It's still happening -- the latest example is the stories of Lana being "difficult" and getting punished.  They had a skit where Rock, one of the biggest stars in history, was scripted to essentially call her a whore on national TV, likely as payback for some bullshit.  This company's treatment of women is ridiculous.

• Like 1

You remember that storyline in 2010/2011 where Miz was trying to win over Maryse and she was acting shallow and aloof and stringing him along? Then he called her out for it and said she was a tease and slut-shamed her on live television?

That was apparently because a writer on the creative team quite liked Maryse, she turned him down, and the writer thought she was a snobby hot chick. 

This is all made weirder by the fact that Miz was the one Maryse turned down the writer for. Oh, and the writer was trying to bury Miz all the time too, out of anger. 

Wrestling is more than a bit odd. 

22 hours ago, NickMD said:

Damn, I take it you don't like them that much.

I'm still waiting to hear someone freely say they are nice people. Still waiting to hear what good Step has done for the company. HHH is a walking billboard for PED abuse, making him a hypocritice of epic proportions, and when has marrying into a family ever made someone competent to run a business? There's too much shady crap around them for me to believe these are good people and not ruthless individuals willing to do terrible things to maintain power and control. Good for them, but not exactly people I'm gonna be happy for.

Triple H got where he is by doing simple stuff to impress Vince that no one else was doing like showing up for all of the production meetings and inserting himself into the process. He probably orchestrated a big push and a considerable office job for himself before he even got involved with Stephanie. As far as their relationship, the only person that truly knows how much of it is personal and how much of it is business is Hunter. 

• Like 1