DVDVR Message Board

Joan "Chyna" Laurer (1970-2016)

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

She went to NJPW and probably could have done TNA early on if she tried.

She was supposed to debut for TNA back in 2004, doing something with Jonny Fairplay. They had announced her upcoming debut then said she had to cancel. Then of course she later had the one off match in 2011 which was a fun little angle. Glad she had that one last match/moment in wrestling anyways.

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

I hope Mick wasn't the only person from her time in WWF that reconnected with her and showed her kindness. This death really gets to me, not only because of her being part of a huge time in wrestling for me, but because she was so clearly in pain every time I've seen her for the last fifteen years. 

Sounds like Lawler did as well

• Like 3

Maybe Jericho, since he was the one who had a program with her. Possibly one of the other women from that era?

Also I dont care about the photo thread, I'm posting this here:

tmp_17792-13062103_1009379785782042_2134

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brysynner said:

HBK or Vickie

My sentiments exactly.  I was thinking that either the DX members that were not persona non grata or Chavo Jr. & Vickie should induct her.

It would be a real showing of reconciliation on the WWEs part and a showing of awesomeness on Double J's part if Jarrett were asked to induct her and he accepted.. 

McMahons being petty and pissed about that $300K and JJ still being sore about jobbing to a woman probably means that it will never happen.

My memory was Jarrett's contract had expired and they hadn't taken the title off of him and so he held up the WWE for a big payday to get him to appear and drop the title.

I don't believe he had any problems losing to Chyna

Clint's memories of Jarrett's demands seem to be true - in at least Jarrett said that at one point in time (though he seems to have changed it a few times)

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Jarrett might be the most underwhelming guy that made the most of the money being thrown around during the Monday Night Wars.

How in the world did he get anywhere beyond where his daddy booked him, I'll never understand. God awful as an entertainer, fine in the ring overall, but nothing to warrant anything beyond jobber status in the big leagues. Aren't the Hardy's bigger than him?

• Like 1

Jarrett had some good early career matches- he had a good series with Eric Embry in World Class- which set up Embry's face turn down there, and his 1st WWF run had plenty of solid to good matches.

Yeah, he was booked higher than he should have been later on his career- but he was a very solid wrestler, capable of having good upper midcard matches.

If you want underwhelming for the money- look at guys like Kronik. or Stevie Ray, or Kurrgan.

I never get the Stevie hate he played his part in Harlem Heat well he was the muscle and the warm up guy for when Book tagged in and I feel he understood that and did it well. And the money thing I also thought that he got payed as much as he did cuz Book was getting payed that much and as brothers they stood up for one another and Stevie was gonna get payed as much as Book if not around the same ball park or they werent gonna have Book. 

Funny that a Chyna RIP thread has turned into "How did Jarrett last this long in the business?" so back to Chyna

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DTTW said:

How in the world did he get anywhere beyond where his daddy booked him, I'll never understand. God awful as an entertainer, fine in the ring overall, but nothing to warrant anything beyond jobber status in the big leagues. Aren't the Hardy's bigger than him?

While I'm no Double J apologist, MMA expert who beats up children was incredibly entertaining.