DVDVR Message Board

Joan "Chyna" Laurer (1970-2016)

Very sad to hear, she seemed to be doing better lately. Great memorable part of WWE for many years for sure. Enjoyed her later IC title stuff and having the special bazooka entrance then being the dominant women's champ until she left. RIP Chyna

15 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm interested to see the E's reaction to this. Specifically, Hunter's.

If it's anything like Stephanie's on Twitter, it'll be aloof and corporate.

Reading what Meanie had to say was a complete gut-punch. Man, this really sucks.

RIP Chyna

I hate to say this one isn't much of a shock but I doubt it really is to anybody who has followed her post WWE "career." Still a sad story as has been mentioned she was undeniably one of the top attractions of the Attitude Era. Hell, you could argue HHH might've floundered for 2-3 extra years if not for the heat she brought him. Yes, I bought her Playboy and yes I enjoyed the majority of her Attitude Era angles. Her appearance in the Rumble where Austin pitched her out was one of my favorite "gimmick" participants ever. 

Its a real shame she never lived long enough to be inducted into the HoF. Outside Moolah, I can't think of a single female who deserved it more than her. I hope Austin keeps that cause alive.

• Like 1

No matter what happened past her time in wrestling, it's clear to say that women's wrestling would not have been the same without Chyna's impact. Just being the first woman on a national scale to actually be sold as being able to do intergender matches and thrive at it alone has led to a huge impact on the industry today (and no matter which side of the debate you're on for "should intergender matches happen?", it is a big part of that.) 

I'm honestly sad she never got another run somewhere else (be it Japan or TNA). She was a big enough star that she deserved a second chance at success after everything that happened to her. She was certainly more than just all the trainwreck stuff. I honestly thought she had gotten her life together in recently time. Sure she was still doing wacky weird comedy on youtube (but who doesn't these days).

Sable brought back Women's wrestling in the WWF/E, but Chyna pushed it into the next level. Had she not taken off we would had never gotten the era we did with the likes of Trish, Lita and so many others. I can only hope she's at peace now.

If we are talking best moments - I remember she had a handicap match against Brisco and Patterson.

She wipes the floor with both and out of desperation one of them (I think Brisco) goes for a low blow, which she totally no sells. The puzzled look she gives the audience is priceless and then the Stooges just break down in tears realizing she has no weakness. Just great little moments.

EDIT - Found it!

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=chyna%20vs%20patterson%20and%20brisco&sm=3

• Like 8

Not a surprise but a shame. People want to talk about your women's wrestling revolution now, but she's the big bang of that IMO (and I don't mean in regard to work or star matches but in regard to prominence and respectability) and I think it's a shame that that legacy was never afforded her and her role in the Attitude era has never really been given the credit it was due

• Like 1

In a business that we can all agree beyond all shadow of a doubt is a literal meat grinder, this one... this one really sucks. Never liked her as a worker (and was never interested in her as a sex worker, either) but as a human being, her troubles were something many of us have experienced first-hand from either ourselves or from people close to us. I always hoped she could get it together because she seemed like a warm and wonderful person beyond the stupidity this world dumped in her lap to deal with. 

RIP Laurie

• Like 1

Weird part was I was just listening to the we watch wrestling podcast on mania 17 and they were just reviewingreviewing Chyna vs ivory.

The bit with her I remember was when she was with Eddy and they were teasing she was going to kick him to the curb and he ends up giving her a puppy and getting a temporary reprieve.

• Like 1

Wow. This is so sad. I was just watching a recent interview of hers and she seemed in a much better place so I assumed that things were going good for her. I was never a huge fan of her work but always empathized with what she was going through and kept rooting for her to get better. RIP 

After seeing that Balls Mahoney had died I was thinking about how it seemed like the horrifying rate of pro wrestlers dying in their 40s & 50s had seemed to slow down from what it was 10 years ago. Now I look back & even though I don't really believe in "jinxing" or something like that I do regret that thought.

Horrible for her family and friends.

• Like 2

Chyna me that have been the biggest victim of WCW being bought out as she was blackballed from WWE and had nowhere else to work because she was so ahead of her time. I know she made her own choices in life but man were there a lot of outside forces against her

6 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Chyna me that have been the biggest victim of WCW being bought out as she was blackballed from WWE and had nowhere else to work because she was so ahead of her time. I know she made her own choices in life but man were there a lot of outside forces against her

She went to NJPW and probably could have done TNA early on if she tried.

She actually did do TNA for a PPV but I don't think it was one that both sides want to remember

I guess we know who the female for next year's WWE hall of fame is.   And certainly deserved it as she was easily the 3rd most important person in that group. 

No matter what she became after WWF- she was a huge part of the Attitude era and a huge reason why DX was so popular in my house.

Her impression of the Bossman during the DX skits always had me in stitches.

RIP