DVDVR Message Board

Traveling To Japan For Puro

ben.

Howdy everyone,

So I think for 2017, I'm going to try and travel to Japan for some shows. I found this guide:

https://prowrestlingisart.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/puroresu-guide-to-japan-part-1/

Which is very interesting and eye-opening that I hope to take advantage of but am curious for the people who have made a similar voyage, how did you find the experience in terms of getting around, buying tickets, communicating, seeing stuff, etc.?

My plan is to hopefully do WrestleKingdom, the night after WrestleKingdom and hopefully some shows before and after said events. I heard that sumotickets.com should be able to help me with procuring WrestleKingdom and night after WrestleKingdom tickets so I'm not out in the cold for either of those shows. Does anybody know of a good site that has good schedules for events taking place in Tokyo? I will thank everyone in advance and hope there are some people here who can share what they know and help me not make a fool of myself as I try to knock this off the bucket list!

Go to the 5th floor ticket office at Korakuen Hall on you first day and you will be able to get all of your tickets for Tokyo area shows including both NJPW shows. 

It always helps to learn some Japanese language.

Get anywhere by train: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/#

Hotel search (change to English): http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/

Good Business Hotel chain:http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00081/index.html

Discount Airfare: http://online.jtbusa.com/

Discount Airfare: http://www.iace-usa.com/en/

Wrestling Schedule: http://puwota.com/

I'm going to Tokyo next week. I keep going back. 18 times for 1.4 Tokyo Dome plus other trips for work or visiting friends with wrestling mixed in.

A bunch of people just got back from a trip last week, but I don't know if Alan or any of the others still post here. But I am sure they could give some updated insight on how to get around for first-time visitors. Alan mentioned on twitter how easy it was to get around even without knowing Japanese (not that its bad to know some basic words just in case)

Awesome, thank you guys so much.

I have heard that WrestleKingdom and the night after WrestleKingdom have advanced ticket sales going quickly after the on-sale with the night after WrestleKingdom show selling out pretty quickly, any insight on what the best way to get those tickets early would be? 

NJPW tweeted out this site earlier in the year. They haven't updated the English side for NJPW events but the Japanese side is up-to-date. I'm sure that for something like WrestleKingdom they'll update it. Of the other options on the NJPW site (ticket pia and e-ticket) they usually require a home address in Japan because they mail physical tickets to the buyer (ticket board is strictly e-ticket from what I've seen).

I usually buy my tickets at a convenience store but those usually stop selling a few days before the actual event. Also, same day tickets are usually maybe five to ten dollars more.

On a general travel note, Wrestle Kingdom is always the first day after the end of the Japanese New Year holiday which runs from the 1st to 3rd. Hotels are not only crowded during that time but their prices are also higher. Plus, there is the recent phenomenon of the large influx of Chinese tourists. While they tend to come more during Chinese holidays, they are making an impact on hotel bookings all around the country but particularly in big cities.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:26 PM, ka-to said:

Discount Airfare: http://online.jtbusa.com/

Discount Airfare: http://www.iace-usa.com/en/

I have never seen a cheaper airline ticket on these sites than you can get by spamming Orbitz, Kayak, Expedia, Priceline, etc for a few weeks to see the trends and then strike when the prices fall to a point you've decided you are willing to pay.  Especially as the OP is looking for tickets so far in advance.  Warning, the New Year's period is a popular one, so the tickets probably won't come as cheap as an October ticket.  Ben, you might as well throw an entry into this contest to win airline tickets. 

On 4/20/2016 at 5:29 PM, ben. said:

Awesome, thank you guys so much.

I have heard that WrestleKingdom and the night after WrestleKingdom have advanced ticket sales going quickly after the on-sale with the night after WrestleKingdom show selling out pretty quickly, any insight on what the best way to get those tickets early would be? 

WrestleKingdom tickets are no problem if you buy the a few days early. Day of the show there might be long lines to get tickets. The Korakuen show might be listed as sold out by Ticket Pia, but tickets are distributed to wrestling shops, Korakuen Hall, and NJPW. I read that last year's show was sold out, but when I got to Tokyo the Korakuen box office had tickets. Unsold tickets from the wrestling shops come back to Korakuen for sale the day of the show and balcony standing tickets are sold the day of the show too. The ticket scalpers that used to be there always had tickets. The scalpers were kicked out of Tokyo Dome City after a scandal involving baseball tickets.

That Wrestling Diary is a great read and definitely a lot of help, thanks so much!

I would be looking to get there the Sunday before the show and would hope (and it sounds like it is a possibility) to do a show every night or multiple shows if I can swing it. I did the Rumble in Orlando this year and did 8 shows in 7 days and then did a Mania trip last month that also included Jersey/NY/Philly and did about 13-14 shows during that time period so I make sure to get as much wrestling as possible.

But so doing Sunday, I would likely pick up all of my tickets that day but definitely want to try and online shop for NJPW just based on what I've heard from year's past of the good seats for WK being gone and the ticket sales the next night. I usually have a big group I travel with for Mania but the Japan trip will likely be me and one or two other people so I am so grateful to you guys for providing me with this info.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!  I'm spending two days in Tokyo beginning this Friday.  It looks like there may be a New Japan show at Korakuen Hall that evening.  Is it possible to buy tickets at this point?  Also, are there any other pro wrestling-related sights to check out in Tokyo, like shops that sell wrestling stuff?  I'm staying in the Koto Ward, for what it's worth.  Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

18 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  I'm spending two days in Tokyo beginning this Friday.  It looks like there may be a New Japan show at Korakuen Hall that evening.  Is it possible to buy tickets at this point?  Also, are there any other pro wrestling-related sights to check out in Tokyo, like shops that sell wrestling stuff?  I'm staying in the Koto Ward, for what it's worth.  Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

Go to the Korakuen Hall ticket office as soon as you can that day.  The unsold tickets from other outlets may or may not still be there, I don't know if a regular New Japan show at Korakuen Hall sell out or not. 

If you go south from Korakuen Hall, over the pedestrian bridge and past Suidobashi Station, there are wrestling shops down the streets/alleys to the left.  If you go towards where the DDT Steakhouse used to be, you should pass some stores.  Just look for the プロレス signs.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/DDT%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AD/@35.7011569,139.7528923,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x60188c3fbcbcd40f:0x98050be4efeca794!8m2!3d35.7011547!4d139.7539866

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 4:30 PM, Lee B. said:

Thanks for the great feedback!   That was very helpful.  If I make it to the show, I'll share my impressions here.  Best, Lee

Did you end up making it to the show? I'd love to hear feedback on what you thought overall of the venue and the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 7:42 AM, echris1015 said:

I had sort of been floating around the idea of finally traveling as well to experience it. No ideas on dates or shows. 

Does anyone do something like Mayfield did back in the day? 

I came across this site while planning for my trip in Nov. Could be helpful? - en.puwota.com/index.cgi

• 3 months later...

Been a few times and seen a bunch of shows. If you have any specific questions about getting around, buying tickets, where to stay, etc....let me know. It can be overwhelming without some guidance.

It was mentioned before, but going to 5th floor of korakuen is the easiest way to get tickets. Go anytime during "regular" business hours. They have tons of posters of all the upcoming shows and if you don't have any Japanese ability then you can simply point and gesture to get your tickets. Beware when buying tickets for sumo hall, make sure you know what you are getting (seat vs box). Also, if a korakuen show is sold out, you might still be able to get standing room only tickets at the box office downstairs. These are in the balcony where you actually get a great view of the entire hall. Don't forget to bring food/snacks/beer etc into the event!

There are a lot of shows going on every week in different parts of Tokyo. Don't be afraid of venturing out to see them all. It really is an experience you won't forget. And getting around by train is very easy once you've done it a few times. If you're a fan of joshi there's a bunch of shows happening all the time too. I would highly recommend making the trip out to the ice ribbon dojo in saitama. It's definitely one of the best experiences I've had.

• 4 months later...