DVDVR Message Board

UFC 197: Jones vs. St. Preux (4/23/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_197_Jones_vs._Saint_Preux_Poster.jpg

UFC 197: Jones vs. St. Preux 
April 23, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Interim UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones (205) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205) - Jones, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (125) vs. Henry Cejudo (125) (eighth defense) - Johnson, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:49)
Anthony Pettis (156) vs. Edson Barboza (155) - Barboza, DEC (unanimous)
Robert Whittaker (185.5) vs. Rafael Natal (186) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)
Yair Rodríguez (145.5) vs. Andre Fili (146) - Rodríguez, KO (flying switch kick), R2 (2:15)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Sergio Pettis (126) vs. Chris Kelades (126) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)
Danny Roberts (170.5) vs. Dominique Steele (171) - Roberts, DEC (unanimous)
Carla Esparza (116) vs. Juliana Lima (115) - Esparza, DEC (unanimous)
Glaico França (156) vs. James Vick (155) - Vick, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Walt Harris (255.5) vs. Cody East (245.5) - Harris, TKO (punches), R1 (4:18)
Marcos Rogério de Lima (205) vs. Clint Hester (205) - Lima, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:35)
Efrain Escudero (155.5) vs. Kevin Lee (156) - Lee, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Yair Rodríguez
Performance of the Night: Demetrious Johnson
Fight of the Night: Danny Roberts vs. Dominique Steele

Attendance: 11,352
Gate: $2.3 million
Buyrate: 450,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Jessica Aguilar vs. Juliana Lima - Injury to Aguilar (Torn ACL)
Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones - Injury to Cormier (Leg)

Well, we know by the marquee poster who the favorite in the main event is.  Jon Jones's gigantic screaming head vs. tiny picture of OSP.

I think that the Anthony Pettis / Edson Barboza fight interest me most.  Showtime is coming off of two losses and hasn't looked like the guy that Spider-Man punted Benson's head off of his shoulders since he got roughed up by RDA and Edson also needs to retool after getting choked out by Tony Ferguson. 

It'll be interesting to see who comes to the cage with the most hunger.

Mighty Mouse should take Cejudo's 0 away on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, we know by the marquee poster who the favorite in the main event is.  Jon Jones's gigantic screaming head vs. tiny picture of OSP.

Actually, the art department just did the switcheroo with the original poster, replacing Cormier with Jon and replacing Jon with OSP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Actually, the art department just did the switcheroo with the original poster, replacing Cormier with Jon and replacing Jon with OSP.

ufc-197-jones-vs-cormier-2-exten-750x340

Their art department needs to hire my kid.  She photoshops better than that and she's only 13.

From the interview he did with Helwani, Rumble wasn't going to take the Jones fight whether he had a dental procedure or not. He wants to fight for the real belt, even though you can definitely argue that if Jones' interim belt is more legit than Cormier's belt. Considering the common opponent between Teixiera and Rumble, I would assume AJ knows that fight isn't that much of a risk.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:16 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

From the interview he did with Helwani, Rumble wasn't going to take the Jones fight whether he had a dental procedure or not. He wants to fight for the real belt, even though you can definitely argue that if Jones' interim belt is more legit than Cormier's belt. Considering the common opponent between Teixiera and Rumble, I would assume AJ knows that fight isn't that much of a risk.

This, but Rumble got smothered by DC who in turn got smothered by Jones, so MMAth says that Rumble won't fare any better against Jones for the really real title, assuming (sarcasm) that Jones beats OSP tomorrow night and Rumble gets it done in a title match against the Von Flue Choke.

Then again I had my doubts that Holly Holms would beat Ronda or that Diaz would sub Connor, so I guess anything can anything can happen.

I suppose arrogance and ring rust could factor into an OSP win over Bones, but I can't see it in my mind's eye.

Rumble actually could have knocked Cormier out. Cormier really didn't put Jones in any danger. I think the Vegas betting lines would give a Rumble a better shot against Jon than DC in the rematch.

I mean Rumble absolutely torched Gus, but Gus gave both DC and Jon plenty of trouble (even though Jon didn't take that fight seriously).

Really looking forward to El Pantera vs. Fili. Could be a breakout performance for either fighter. It's interesting that Fili is one of the last remaining Alpha Male fighters now that Buchholz is the head coach. I wonder if that plays a tremendous role in Fili's performance.

Definitely looking forward to Pettis vs. Barboza. If there was any fight where Pettis can go all out, this would be the one. However, he shouldn't underestimate Barboza at all. When you're up against another fighter who throws exotic techniques, the last place you want to find yourself is on the wrong end of a counter.

Glad to see James Vick back. He can enter the fold at lightweight if he stays healthy.

I expect Whittaker and Danny Roberts to shine tonight. Steele had a badass slam finish against the "other" Dong Hyun Kim, but Roberts is the better, more polished fighter overall. Sapo is tough and underrated, but I think Whittaker runs through him. Probably gets a convincing (T)KO stoppage.

Lee should bounce back against Escudero. Should be a solid 30-27 decision.

Marcos Pezao vs. Hester shouldn't last long. Hester is slowly becoming another OSP, but with a smaller gas tank. This fight could go one of two ways in my opinion. Hester puts heavy activity on Pezao early and causes him to cave.  The second way being Pezao knocking him out within 3 or 4 minutes.

Any thoughts on the main event? My head says Jones feels him out for a few minutes and subs him inside of a round and a half.

Can't say I am really excited about Jones vs OSP since it is such a mismatch.  It seems the whole purpose of this fight is to set up some wacky fake stuff with Jones and Cormier who is apparently doing commentary for the fight.   I guess we will see if the guy was has any rust on him but even a little should be fine

I like Cejudo and is easily Johnson's best opponent but I always root for Mighty Mouse because every time he wins it just pisses the media off so much.  For some reason the idea of him near the main event is so offensive to them.  

Lots of really good undercard fights too.  If Pettis is on his game then the fight against Barboza is going to be nuts