DVDVR Message Board

ALBUM-CLOSING SONG BATTLE

Curt McGirt

We'll start with the finale of the greatest album ever made (yes I know the album technically ends with the Elevators remix, but that's a tack-on and this is the ending of the album proper:

RIP Phife

and of course the purple tape ended with the greatest extended ad lib ever...

• Like 2

It's insane how all four of these in a row evolve, per their albums -- which are all concept albums in a way that change slightly but in immeasurable ways -- but they still close on the absolute darkest note possible. "There is no freedom, no satisfaction, I want some action" is the best lyric never written by Iggy Pop btw. 

EDIT: I can't explain what "To The Death" sounds like loud through speakers. RRROOOAAARRR was the first Voivod album I ever heard when I was like twelve because I saw it reviewed in the great book Stairway to Hell by Chuck Eddy (TOP 500 HEAVY METAL ALBUMS EVER! or so it claimed, though there was Prince and Teena Marie and other legitimately great but not metal artists in there too -- tons of punk and '70s rock and you can go on) and used my allowance to buy it. That song literally sounds, at volume, like its album cover looks. Computer speakers of my puny qualities do it no justice. After getting caught under that spiked warmachine, hearing Dimension Hatross second was like easy going, and both invited me to the world of music way too bizarre for most folks -- "hey, you think THIS is strange? Here's THIS."

Not the best album by Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade (I'd go for either Lycanthro Punk or Allday Hell, or maybe even Progression/Regression), but quite the finisher. (And in case you have any reservations about the Iron Crosses on the cover, those are gone on the reissues and besides which they changed their name because a group of Nazi boneheads started some Swedish fascist clique called Wolfpack. Also see "No Neo Bastards" from Allday Hell)

Clique -- Wolfpack -- we just can't get away from wrestling no matter what the topic

That's an instrumental cover. For some reason, the album version isn't on youtube... then again, he was a copyright guy, wasn't he? Probably had it taken down a million times.

• Like 1