DVDVR Message Board

Countdown To October

Burgundy LaRue

I'll be honest, I never really watched scary movies until I started lurking on this board, but now I'm looking forward to it.

I'm with everyone on the Evil Dead and Carrie remakes, and I'm also going to finish the Friday the 13th franchise (never got past the Tommy trilogy) and all the Frankenstein movies.

Then, on the 31st, I a going with the halloweeniest of all Halloween movies... Hocus Pocus (it just gets me in the spirit).

My wife requested Hocus Pocus this year. I'm totally cool with that, because it does have that creepy one night in which it's us versus evil vibe. ParaNorman kind of has that, and I can't recommend Trick r' Treat enough if you like Hocus Pocus. It just feels like the same vein but grown uppier.

So I worked out my October viewing schedule tonight, the better to open things up to my friends. A lot of franchise marathoning, and Halloween still isn't set in stone yet (we run an annual movie marathon, so I picked one already, going to pick a second, and then the third will be a group vote). Here's what I got (by date, with marathon days worked around my days off of Thurs/Fri/Sun).

1- Halloween (1979)

2- Friday the 13th (2009), Jason X

3- [.REC], [.REC2][.REC3]: Genesis

4- Death Bell, Ju-on

5- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge

6- Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, Hellraiser 3: Hell on Earth

7- Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

8- Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Dream Master

9- Nightmare on Elm Street 5: Dream Child

10- Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare, New Nightmare, Freddy vs. Jason

11- Paranormal Activity 1-4

12- Sinister

13- Hellraiser: Bloodline, Hellraiser: Inferno, Hellraiser: Hellseeker

14- A Tale of Two Sisters

15- Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night

16- The Hole, Session 9

17- ABCs of Death, V/H/S, V/H/S/2

18- Carrie (2013)

19- Dead Silence

20- Hellraiser: Deader, Hellraiser: Hellworld, Hellraiser: Revelations

21- Martyrs

22- YellowBrickRoad

23- Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shock Treatment

24- Within the Woods, Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness

25- Evil Dead (2013), Evil Dead: The Musical, Army of Darkness (Director’s Cut)

26- Mama (short), Imprint

27- 1408, Grave Encounters, Mama

28- Audition

29- Hard Candy

30- The Midnight Meat Train, In the Mouth of Madness

31- Trick r Treat, ?, ?

Some things are favourites. Some are blank filling. Some are first time views. Thoughts on what to add, remove, etc.? With some explanation so I can decide whether to actually implement please.

I love Hard Candy, though I'm not sure if I consider it a horror film in the general sense. Though I guess it's not too far off from Last House on the Left. We finished the Nightmare On Elm St. series last year, so I think this year I'll see how much further I can take my wife down the Friday the 13th Rabbit Hole. She's actually enjoying them as they're pretty goofy. Part Five would be next on our list. The more I watch of Friday the 13th the more sure I am that The Burning is a superior camp slasher film. Also, I watched Martyrs last year and found myself really into it. I liked it so much better than other French New Horror. I think you'll have a pretty solid month.

I'm working on a list now. I'll probably ask for more suggestions.

Funny thing about The Burning is that it came out within a few weeks of Friday the 13th Part II, and was in production at the exact same time, which makes just how many damn nearly identical story beats they share really weird.

I'm strongly on record that F13p2 is the best of the franchise by a fairly large margin, but The Burning absolutely destroys it.

i've watched a ton of horror movies (I'm sure I'm not alone here), and sometimes despair that I've exhausted the genre. Anyway, I started gathering up a list, just based on IMDB horror films, of movies I've either never seen, have only seen parts of, or have seen so long ago that I've pretty much forgotten them. So far, I've got:

PSYCHO (1960)JAWS (1975)THE BIRDS (1975)BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)FREAKS (1932)THE CREMATOR (1969)EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960)CURE (1997)TOURIST TRAP (1979)BRAINSCAN (1994)SLEEP TIGHT (2011)IMAGES (1972) 

BRAINSCANNNNNNNN!!!!! Good times that one. At least young 11 year old Jae thought so.

Eyes Without a Face is the shit, man. If I'd seen that before the 60's countdown it would have been very high up my ballot. Cannot recommend it enough. Very creepy, very eerie. Was probably a heavy influence to Almodovar's fantastic Skin I Live In. Folks should definietly check that out.

Speaking of 60's and Horror.... I got this book at the library last week and it is a GREAT resource: http://www.amazon.com/Sixties-Shockers-Critical-Filmography-1960-1969/dp/0786433817 It covers EVERY horror film of the decade and provides a context for why horror films covered the subject matter they did during this time period. So I'll be pulling some stuff from here to be sure.

BRAINSCANNNNNNNN!!!!! Good times that one. At least young 11 year old Jae thought so.

It's one of the highlighted horror films at the local rental palace, and when I looked it up I realized it was written by Andrew Kevin Walker, so I'm intrigued.

Speaking of books, did anyone else in the world have this one as a kid:

Posted Image

I did and it was by my constant companion from, like the ages of 8 to 11.

The cover is so awesome because that is exactly how you would read it.  in bed, when everyone else was asleep, terrified.

i've watched a ton of horror movies (I'm sure I'm not alone here), and sometimes despair that I've exhausted the genre. Anyway, I started gathering up a list, just based on IMDB horror films, of movies I've either never seen, have only seen parts of, or have seen so long ago that I've pretty much forgotten them. So far, I've got:

THE CREMATOR (1969)

Creepy!  The metaphor of WWII vs what the main character does with his family makes for some uncomfortable moments.

That '60s book looks like something I'll be getting ahold of. 

Eyes Without A Face should be on everyone's list this year if you haven't seen it. It got a Criterion release so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find. 

So wanted to be Eddie Furlong's character in Brainscan when I was a kid, with tons of metal and horror shit and that girl next door haha. I looked it up and John Flynn also directed The Outfit, Lock Up, and Rolling Thunder (!). 

• Like 1

Is this board gonna go into Burning worship mode next month again? If so you might as well give it to me for Halloween Havoc so I can rewatch.

I was thinking about making it my pick, but now it seems the whole board has seen it...

I'm leaving this here because it's just out and people are making their lists:

American Mary was pretty damn good. I recall it getting a lot of press in Rue Morgue and Fangoria a couple months back but I couldn't recall a damn thing about what it was about, so I just rented it blind. It features Katherine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps, Freddy vs. Jason) as a harrowed med student on her way to be a surgeon who... kinda goes to the dark side. There's a great deal of humor in this but the nasty twist in the middle sends you right down the rabbit hole. Apparently it was directed by twin sisters who also feature in the film and have you wondering just what the fuck is going on (like most of the film in itself). Maybe I got the rated version but this had a surprising amount of taste in that it leaves you squirming but does it with psychology.

Near Dark - Still can't believe I haven't seen this before.  Not a big vampire fan but definitely one of absolute better ones.  It helps that it's also a horror/western hybrid which both are my favorite genres.  Not much to say about this other than I loved the desert setting, the atmosphere and all of the characters.

Alligator - This was a lot of fun!  Robert Forester was great in this.  I surprisingly haven't seen many of the animal attacks/topical environmental horror films but this might be the favorite of the ones I've seen.  This moves at a quick pace.  Alligator is flushed down the toilet and becomes impossibly huge in the sewer and one day starts eating people and animals.  It's up to Robert Forester to stop it.  The alligator's name is Ramon.  I was enjoying it as it was quite a standard fun horror but until....HENRY FUCKIN' SILVA! comes in as a Crocidile Dundee-wannabe with a bad Austrailian accent who is impressed with the amount of stool the gator left.  To top it off, Ramon attacks a wedding where the wedding band had quite the perfect mullets.

Pieces - One of the most ridiculous and over the top giallos I've ever seen and it's glorious!  Now to warn people, you have to have a strong taste in sleazy and let's say, incompetent, filmmaking.  Terrible writing, equally terrible acting but what this has is great nudity, ridiculous kills, a black gloved killer with a chainsaw and an awesome score!  If you're into sleaze and trash, you'd have a great time with this!

Some awful films like The Dorm That Dripped Blood, Trip with the Teacher, Death Laid an Egg.

Death Walks on High Heels - Pretty standard giallo.  Paint by numbers.  Not much to see here.