DVDVR Message Board

Countdown To October

Burgundy LaRue

Lords of Salem, Sinister, & the Evil Dead Remake are probably the most recent ones I'll be hitting up.

I'll have to dig around and see what classics I'm missing out on. Probably check out some more Mario Bava stuff. Need to know what's going on in Asia that I need to be searching for in advance.  

So fucking excited I can't contain it. My wife and son are prepping themselves for me taking over this house with the sounds of screams.

It's all about Machete Kills.

Duh, I guess I should have realized this was about Horror Films. I'm thinking Giallo Week followed by Hammer Week, and maybe I'll finally watch The Evil Dead films.  And its been awhile since I watched Audition , so there is always that.

My short list will be the Evil Dead remake, The Conjuring, Sinister, and maybe You're Next.

I'm on all those, plus MAMA which we never saw and which looks right creepy.

We will probably start off with REANIMATOR and SUSPIRIA...and my wife is demanding a viewing of CARRIE (I'm vaguely intrigued by the commercials for the remake, if only for the idea of the entire town getting scorched).

I'll also be obsessively checking into Dinosaur Dracula to see what weird trinkets that dude digs up.

What's supposed to be coming out horror-wise in October? I haven't read Fango or Rue Morgue in a month or two. 

I'm gonna try and dig into a lot of Korean and Japanese stuff I haven't seen yet. Hammer sounds like a good idea. I need to see what re-releases have ended up in my local video store because Scream Factory and others have been putting out some boss ones.

Ohhhh yeah I forgot about the Carrie remake. I wasn't excited until recently I found out it's directed by Kimberly Pierce, who directed Boys Don't Cry.

There's also that Maniac remake with Elijah Wood I've been wanting to see.

• Like 1

While reading recent discussions on the board I realized just how few of the Friday the 13th movies I have actually seen. Plan on watching what is available from the series on Netflix as well as anything else that catches my eye.

Oh man is that out on DVD yet? The first couple minutes of Maniac that showed up online made that a must-see for me.

Netflix says it's set to be released in October. I'm seeing Oct. 15th. 

I watch horror movies on a regular basis year round so October doesn't change my viewing habits that much.  I have hopes for the Insidious sequel and the Carrie remake actually doesn't look terrible, although it's missing the...grimy? look to it that made the original work so well.

I watch horror movies on a regular basis year round so October doesn't change my viewing habits that much.

I used to be like you. I remember those days well. Then I got married and my wife and sadly my son are horror movie sissies. So October has become the one month where they step aside from the DVD player and NEtflix queue and I gorge on a buffet of blood.

It sounds kind of sad, but it's become a kind of fun event that I now look forward to all year.

I am going to see a local production of Evil Dead: The Musical here in  mid to late September.  I will probably be watching the Evil Dead series, including the remake.  I want to try a horror movie a day in October but the girlfriend isn't a fan and I get burnout from watching too much of the same genre.  I will definitely fire up some classics and cult favorites like Fright Night (original), Monster Squad, Shaun of the Dead and a few others.  Hopefully , You're Next will be out by then as well

I love that Hammer is trying to resuurect their brand. I quite liked the Woman in Black and thought it was a good change of pace from the usual horror servings today. It's no classic, but a solid ghost story and left me hopeful. So I was digging around their website, which is a pretty neat site with a history of their productions and stuff, and found out they started releasing radio play productions this summer too:

http://www.hammerchillers.com/index.asp

Really debating purchasing one.

I am going to see a local production of Evil Dead: The Musical here in  mid to late September.

If you go in expecting more comedy, less scary? You'll have a ball. I saw it three times during the Toronto run and own the soundtrack and some shirts.

Lots of good stuff lined up for people. Can't wait to hear opinions on Sinister, which is probably my favourite American horror flick since the first Paranormal Activity.

Are we up for trying another round of Halloween Havoc?

I was hoping you'd run that, yeah.  I won't be doing the 31 movies in 31 days thing, but I'd absolutely do Halloween Havoc.

Yeah, I would  too. Hopefully I'll get something better than Critters 2.

If you're interested in the Hammer radio plays check this out, I saved the page long ago but never ended up listening to any of these. Inner Sanctum along with Lights Out and Suspense was a classic radio show in the pre-TV era and thankfully the shows are preserved for history here:

http://archive.org/details/otr_innersanctummysteries

THREE SKELETON KEY is still the absolute best 25 minutes of listening you can spend: