DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I think some of you have short term memories. It was only last year when we were discussing the possibility of 6 championship contenders and 2nd-6th seeds were separated by one game. This year was unique in that GS and SA had nutty win streaks and regular season records. 

• Like 1

Moses went and joined Dr. J after he'd taken the Rockets to the finals and won two MVP's. It was technically a trade because Moses was a RFA, but the Rockets only matched the offer sheet so they could trade him and get something out of it.

Moses was the regular season and Finals MVP the next year with the Sixers.

I'm sure the Warriors will go something like 75-7 or some ridiculious record, but if a team can stick with them in the playoffs, they are still vunerable. I know Durant is great and all, but as this years playoffs show, he's not exactly clutch. 

They are not going 74+ wins.  

Part of the reason they choked in the Finals (and almost choked in the WCF) is because they were exhausted from pushing themselves to win 73. They got caught up in the hype and got got.  Now the 2015-16 Warriors are a joke on a historic level.  I sincerely doubt they'll make that mistake again. 

Some are still missing the point. Nobody liked the way LeBron handled "The Decision" but Miami wasn't a championship team. Wade, with all his injuries, was not going to be the #1 option. Bosh, though a nice player in his own right is nowhere near LeBron's level.  The Heat were hated but the team was started from scratch.  Durant is joining a team that has 1. already won a championship and 2. broke the single-season record in wins this past year.  They don't even need Durant to win the title. Never mind the fact that Durant was GSW's competition in the west.

So what Durant did is "Well, if I can't beat them, then I'll join them."  There's nothing to respect about that. OKC and maybe SA were the only competition out West. This would be like Shaq joining the Bulls after the 1995-96 season. Yes, you have a ring now but who gives a shit. You didn't want to be a leader.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Some are still missing the point. Nobody liked the way LeBron handled "The Decision" but Miami wasn't a championship team. Wade, with all his injuries, was not going to be the #1 option. Bosh, though a nice player in his own right is nowhere near LeBron's level.  The Heat were hated but the team was started from scratch.  Durant is joining a team that has 1. already won a championship and 2. broke the single-season record in wins this past year.  They don't even need Durant to win the title. Never mind the fact that Durant was GSW's competition in the west.

So what Durant did is "Well, if I can't beat them, then I'll join them."  There's nothing to respect about that. OKC and maybe SA were the only competition out West. This would be like Shaq joining the Bulls after the 1995-96 season. Yes, you have a ring now but who gives a shit. You didn't want to be a leader.

Wade and Lebron joined forces because they couldn't beat Boston's big three alone. It's the exact same move, just with a bit less shuffling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wade and Lebron joined forces because they couldn't beat Boston's big three alone. It's the exact same move, just with a bit less shuffling.

They needed Bosh to sign on and then recruit others and it was going to take time. Durant is joining a 73-win team. He's riding the coattails of something that's already established and he isn't the clear #1 like LeBron was. And LeBron didn't lose to Boston and then sign with.... Boston.  That's what Durant did.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Spurs trade Boris Diaw to Utah for pg Oliver Hanlan. Jazz might be pretty good next year, at least a playoff team. . .

Considering that they lost out on the 8 seed on the last day of the season, and added Joe Johnson, Boris Diaw and George Hill, I would say anything short of the playoffs would probably be considered a major disappointment. I don't see any reason they can't get as high as a 4 seed. After Warriors/Spurs/Clippers it's kind of anyone's game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And Durant didn't bolt a team that has finished with the number one seed two straight years.

The details are different, but the basic scenario is identical.

They only had the #1 seed because of LeBron. They didn't drop from 60+ wins to like 45. They fell off a cliff.  Durant had a lot more talent around him in OKC than LeBron had in Cleveland. Durant could have competed with GSW and instead joined them. LeBron continued to go head to head with Boston.

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

If Durant had joined the Timberwolves, would we be having any of this conversation?

No, if Durant went to a team with a couple young guys and tried to bring them a championship, fine. That's much different than riding the coattails of the current league MVP and 73-win team.

But for some reason @steve isn't understanding this.  Durant bitched and moaned about LeBron in 2010 but here we are...

I understand it's different. I don't understand why it's therefore wrong.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the tweet, he changed his mind six years later. Dear God, no one's ever done that before.

And, because I have no real attachment to Durant and/or the Warriors despite my abundant posts in here the last few days... Durant was on the wrong side of the argument in 2010.

• Like 1

I'm still amused at how much anger Niners has towards this, but to each their own. I'm used to good players leaving all the teams I like for about 25 years, except for the Packers, usually.

Assumed anger in tone and defensiveness, perhaps just inferred and not real. *Hits you in the hand with a tackhammer a bunch of times* Now show us your anger! UCONN SUCKS! Do you morph into Colin Kaepernick when angry?

Edit: WTF?

12691dc6c4d955a4d05463a45e241042.jpgtumblr_inline_mgoflyqZRx1qeb0rp.jpg

I've been seeing a lot of hand-wringing, pearl-clutching, and outright hostility towards Durant over this move, and personally, I think it's a bunch of horseshit.

Durant doesn't owe anyone outside of his immediate family a damn thing. He's been with that team for nine years. They've come close on a couple of occasions, but haven't gotten it done. Presti's draft picks aside, the organization has not done what it needed to do get over the hump and win a championship. I've got a sneaking suspicion that Durant isn't as enamored with playing with Westbrook as he would like to be. There is also no guarantee that if Durant had stuck around, Russ would have done the same thing after next season.

I see far too many people ascribing their own moral code to a situation that doesn't concern them, nor would they ever come within kicking distance of having to go through.

Judge away, but just remember, it ain't about you.

Me, I'm gonna sit back and watch the hell out of next season.

• Like 1