DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

People in the organization and the fans?

Pierce, Allen and Garnett couldn't get it done individually, teamed up and won a championship. Clearly a bitch move. If they wanted to be men, KG and Jesus should've vetoed their trades. Shoot, KG did that earlier that summer but eventually acquiesced.

You aren't making sense.  You're comparing apples to oranges.  Durant just left to go play for a super team that his former team blew a 3-1 lead against.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's, at best, granny Smith to red delicious. Two stars who couldn't get their teams over the top join a star laden team to chase a ring.

The Celtics were terrible. They had Pierce and nobody else. All 3 guys were on the backend of their prime. Boston made trades to get Allen and KG. The KG deal involved Al Jefferson. It was 1000000% different than what Durant just did.

I never blamed LeBron for leaving Cleveland for Miami, I just hated the way he did it. I don't see how anyone can blame Durant for leaving to the team he's most likely to win a title. That is, after all, the end game.

If Mike Trout signed with the Cubs, would we be bitching at him for not signing for someone harder to win a title?

5 minutes ago, steve said:

My understanding of competitive sports is that the point is to win.

They're gonna do that a lot.

According to Durant HIMSELF in 2010 that is NOT the understanding of competitive sports. So not only is he a bitch he's also a hypocrite :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, El Dragon said:

If Mike Trout signed with the Cubs, would we be bitching at him for not signing for someone harder to win a title?

One star player in the NBA means a hell of a lot more to a team than one star player in baseball. Plus, a team can still get shutdown by quality pitching. It's not even worth discussing.

• Like 1

If Duncan is going to announce his retirement, it would be the most Timmy thing ever. Let Kobe have the farewell tour. Announce retirement after KD gobbles up all the headlines. Leave as 5 time champion. 

• Like 4

I'd probably be pissed if I were a fan of a team with a short window. Like the Clippers with an aging Paul. No impact though cheering on a team full of 19-21 year olds. Just hope they can take their game up a level like last year's game against them here. Was a loss but a damn entertaining one. Unlike most of the other 72. Which matters when you watch each game twice. Watching the Lakers beat them was one hell of a fun memorable game as well. 

Hard to talk about Durant himself without being hypocritical. Takes courage to go knowing the heat that will come with the move. Yet you can argue it is cowardly at the same time. If winning is all that matters than it is the right move. So is winning really not all that matters? Winning under the right conditions is what matters? Hard to discuss as there is some cognitive dissonance that comes with these value clashes. 

Too bad about Duncan. He didn't have any gas left in the tank though in the playoffs. Once you start looking like you're a slow motion clip until someone runs by full speed it is time to exit. Great career. Not winning the lottery that year for him was so disappointing. Him and Iverson would have been a strange, fascinating, mix. 

It's a business, who really gives a shit what he chooses to do in the end, it's not going to affect our lives that much. Now, when LeBron goes the the Warriors next year; then, we can bitch.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One star player in the NBA means a hell of a lot more to a team than one star player in baseball. Plus, a team can still get shutdown by quality pitching. It's not even worth discussing.

Correct. Blaming a player for signing with a team to give him the best shot ISN'T worth discussing! 

Remember when people whined about people signing for terrible teams for more money, and how silly that was? This is even sillier. 

How you win absolutely matters.  People are going to be talking about LeBron beating the 73-win Warriors a hundred years from now.  That is LeBron's legacy and LeBron knew he needed to do that to reach the level he's at now.  But Durant was never built like that and it's a shame to see it play out like this.  I'm a basketball fan. I want to see competitive match ups.

Duncan maybe announcing his retirement today is the most Tim thing.  He looks like a guy who do the farewell tour, take all of the gifts provided to him, and put it in a storage locker or donate to someone.   One of the greatest players ever who won't get put on that level because he did nothing off the court to make you care about him

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

Correct. Blaming a player for signing with a team to give him the best shot ISN'T worth discussing! 

Ridiculous. He and Russ had a 3-1 lead on that team. They blew it. But they were right there. He is going to GSW because he can't handle the pressure of being a star. He wants to be a #2 or a #3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ridiculous. He and Russ had a 3-1 lead on that team. They blew it. But they were right there. He is going to GSW because he can't handle the pressure of being a star. He wants to be a #2 or a #3.

He was already the 2 though. Maybe he just likes the fit with their 1 better. 

4 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

If Duncan is going to announce his retirement, it would be the most Timmy thing ever. Let Kobe have the farewell tour. Announce retirement after KD gobbles up all the headlines. Leave as 5 time champion. 

It's amazing to think that if it wasn't for Hurricane Hugo destroying St. Croix's swimming pool,  Duncan may have never thought to play basketball. 

3 minutes ago, Cole Miner said:

Hard to talk about Durant himself without being hypocritical. Takes courage to go knowing the heat that will come with the move. Yet you can argue it is cowardly at the same time. If winning is all that matters than it is the right move. So is winning really not all that matters? Winning under the right conditions is what matters? Hard to discuss as there is some cognitive dissonance that comes with these value clashes. 

I definitely don't agree with Niners point of view on this, but I do think the pressure to win next season is going to sky high too, which adds another wrinkle.  You have to remember that first magical Lebron/Bosh/Wade Heat season, where almost all of their regular season loses were magnified and final series lost to the Mavs lead to over-the-top mockery.  It might not reach that level for Durant and Warriors since we already been through it before, but the vultures will be ready if they show any signs of less than excellence in their run next year.  That's not easy.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

K? And why shouldn't he go to the team that beat them last year if he thinks it's his best way to win a title.

This is the only sport I know were perceived legacy means more then actually winning to some people, and it's ridiculous. 

• Like 2