DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Wade leaving Miami just seems wrong.

We've discussed this before I think, that while he's not the best player in franchise history (I mean, they had two of the arguably ten best ever blow through) he's the best representative of that franchise.

The more I look at it, the more this seems like strictly a leverage move from Wade.  I think the teams he called know this too.  As sick as a Wade/Dirk 2 man game would be, Dirk really dislikes him, and we need to get younger.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Ew. Don't do it, Dallas. I know Cuban goes for every big free agent every year, but don't do it!

Oh, shit! Remember that excellent ESPN.com piece on HINKIE AND THA PROCESS from a while back? They just posted another Hinkie article, looking at the aftermath and the 2016 NBA draft!

HInkie's process would have worked out much better if he had not drafted the same position three times in a row and not put pieces that did not work together.  MCW/Wroten and Noel/Okafor.

His process failed in that his drafts failed.  The Sixers have no backcourt which adversely affects the development of guys like Noel and Okafor.  His best find is Covington and he is an 8th man.  

In an NBA that is moving towards jump shooters and diverse small forwards the Sixers were rebuilding the center position.  He knew the NBA was moving towards the three point line but moved in the opposite direction.  

If he spread the draft around positionally like the Cavs (before they got LeBron back) and Wolves the Sixers would be in much better shape.

They don't have a NBA caliber PG, SG, and SF.  Now they have to overpay in free agency giving out years and millions per year that they should not be doing.

I think you have a point. But who would you have drafted instead? 

I am excited to see what Saric has to offer though. And every draft expert I've read or listened to said Ben Simmons is going to be a point guard a like Antetokounmpo, at least to start. Embiid could still turn out. I don't think the Sixers are that fucked. I get what Hinkie was going for, bpa and collect assets. It just happened that he tanked at an inopportune time where there wasn't an elite prospect. Hindsight says they could've gotten Porzingis and Giannis but neither were considered can't miss types.

Simmons has the size and athleticism and versatility, but he can't shoot worth a damn, and they have nobody to space the floor around him because, as mentioned, they have no wings.

It really was remarkable how adding just a borderline replacement level point guard last year moved them from "maybe the worst team in NBA history" to "just another bad team."

It is a pretty clear point.  Hinkie failed because he had no idea how to draft.  Nobody drafts the same position three years in a row.  Especially when you are trying to construct a team from the ground up.

Let's say he keeps MCW and Noel.  The next pick after Embiid was Gordon and Randle was picked seventh.  The pick after Saric was Levine.  Porzingis was picked after Okafor.  

You put those guys together and while you may not have a Playoff team you have a young team with a brighter future than what they currently have.

While you may like Saric don't hold your breath.  If he comes over this year he get stuck with an ELC.  If he waits a year he negotiates his own deal.

Even if they put Simmons at the point his lack of a shot means you need to surround him with guys that can shoot.  They don't have those players on the roster and in order to get a decent player they will have to overpay in terms of years and salary.

Then you need to carve out the minutes between Noel, Okafor, and Embiid or just two of the three.  There is another problem with that rotation of players.  Nobody has a range outside of five feet which means you absolutely need someone with an outside shot to cover that weakness.  Yeah Embiid shoots threes after practice but call me when he comes off a screen past the three point line.

So you are looking at a roster of Simmons at the point and he cannot shoot.  Noel/Okafor/Embiid all play five feet from the basket.  The Sixers are still a complete mess.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

WaPo is reporting that Joakim Noah will be a Knick.  He'll sign for around 18m per year. 

Another reason why 90% of the NBA GM's are horrible.

Strip off the name and here is what you get for $18 million.  A DPOY two years ago.  FG shooting percentage peaked when he was 25, five years ago.  Career average of 9 and 9.  Coming off multiple shoulder surgeries and missed a good portion of last year.  Plays a physical style.  30 years old.  FT shooting percentage tanked the year before the shoulder problems.

In any other sport this person gets a cheap, incentive laden, one year, prove it contract.  In the NBA this player is worth $18 million.  

Hello lockout.

Someone said that is was very hard to crack an NBA starting lineup.  You are right.  The more GM's hand out bad deals like this one the more GM's force coaches to play players on horrible contracts in order to try and save their jobs instead of playing a younger player who can grow into a role with increased playing time.

If you do not spend to the floor the money gets distributed to the players.  You do not have to spend the money now.  You can take on a horrible contract at the deadline and be over the floor when the season ends.

Hinkie did that when he took on bad contracts for a second round pick.

The NBA salary cap is much different from the NHL.

In the NHL you take a players salary, divide by the number of days in the season, and accrue that number every day the person is on the roster.  The money you accrue by the trade deadline can then be spent on higher priced players.

In the NBA you have the salary number at the start of the year and can take on bad contracts to get up to the floor during the year.  At the end of the year the salary amount needs to be over the floor even if you had only $20 million on the books on opening night.  What you actually spend is irrelevant.  Much like the NBA salary cap which is irrelevant since everyone blows through that number up to the luxury tax level.

I think I have both salary caps correct in a simplified manner.  That is how they were explained to me.

Whiteside was a great find for Miami, he had the absolute best timing on his breakout performance... he's a fantastic shot blocker, good on the glass, highly athletic... but I just can't imagine giving a max deal to someone that limited on offense who isn't Orlando Magic era Dwight Howard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Whiteside was a great find for Miami, he had the absolute best timing on his breakout performance... he's a fantastic shot blocker, good on the glass, highly athletic... but I just can't imagine giving a max deal to someone that limited on offense who isn't Orlando Magic era Dwight Howard.

I agree but this is the NBA where logic get tossed out the window and bad decisions get made all the time.  Agents and teams only know max numbers.

• Like 1