DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

He's a restricted free agent, so if no one signs Barnes, they WOULD.

My point was, if it came down to losing Durant, they could just renounce his rights.

• Like 1

The reply by old annoying people and the talking dipshits at ESPN will be annoying to say the least. How dare that citizen with money do something to express their political views, they might influence someone. LISTEN TO ME! MY OPINIONS MEAN MORE! /Stephen A mode

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Brian Fowler said:

BOBAN!

I'm really not sure why.

You will have a blast watching BOBAN play. I think Pop criminally misused him. He sint a great defender but he can be a scoring machine. When Pop would sit him for games at a time and throw him in, not so productive. When he was used consistently or sent to the D league to get playing time, he would always produce on his return.

The Tim vs. Kobe debate will go on forever. However, I think proof that Tim wins the argument comes in how the retired. Timmy did so in a typically understated manner. Kobe did so with Flea's bass solo national anthem leading the pre-game ceremony. Tim wins.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Timmy just hung them up for good. The 2014 Spurs were everything I always wanted basketball to look like.

I preferred the 2013 version.  

Duncan is the consummate professional and the greatest PF of all time. I don't think I hate-respected anyone more than him. Getting to see him play was truly an honor. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't think either of them did it the right of wrong way. Just in the way that fit who both of them were.

I will say this... one of them built relationships. The other one tore them down. That's probably the biggest difference. 

• Like 1

I think it all boils down to who they both appear to be.

Kobe was obsessed with Michael Jordan and individual legacy. Duncan was an intensely private person who never seemed to want the spotlight. 

Ultimately, they were both wildly successful on both an individual and team level (5 titles each. Timmy has a 2-1 edge in MVPs but Kobe a 7-6 edge in conference titles. Duncan never played on a bad team though) and the two of them defined the era in-between Jordan falling off and LeBron taking over, and they went out exactly the easy they've both always been and it's fitting as all hell that they'll go to Springfield together.

I know this is personal taste. But I never enjoyed watching Kobe play. I very much appreciate Kobe. But he's the last of the one-on-one hero ball guys from that generation I grew to absolutely hate watching. It lost it's charm quickly. Kobe also really did not mind turning his career into a sideshow. And while it ended in the most insane and Kobe way possible, his final season was the most self-indulgent thing we'll ever see out of a professional athlete. It fit him perfectly, but I still couldn't really give a crap.

Duncan and the Spurs' arc is so weird. They were one of the most hated teams in the NBA for a while. They played a pretty boring brand of basketball. The Suns vs. Spurs contests really felt like a good vs. evil battle. But Pop and company ended up becoming this progressive force for passing and movement and brought basketball into a new era that's an absolute blast to watch. Duncan was at the center of that, since his humility set the tone for a team that very much loved to sacrifice itself for the best shot possible. He was also an unreal defensive player even through this season, which he played on a historically great regular season team. He came in awesome. He went out awesome. And his team really reshaped the NBA along the way.

• Like 4

Tim Duncan is the Negro Casas of the NBA. He played at such a high level for so long that it almost became supernatural. It was amazing watching him from 2013 on. He basically played on one leg, and his efficiency didn't suffer at all. I think for the good of humanity we need to force him to keep playing, but take away an additional body part each year. Would you bet against Duncan being able to put up 16/8/4 in a playoff game with only one arm, one leg, one eye and no ears?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think it all boils down to who they both appear to be.

Kobe was obsessed with Michael Jordan and individual legacy. Duncan was an intensely private person who never seemed to want the spotlight. 

Ultimately, they were both wildly successful on both an individual and team level (5 titles each. Timmy has a 2-1 edge in MVPs but Kobe a 7-6 edge in conference titles. Duncan never played on a bad team though) and the two of them defined the era in-between Jordan falling off and LeBron taking over, and they went out exactly the easy they've both always been and it's fitting as all hell that they'll go to Springfield together.

I think the edge in conference titles isn't comparable to MVPs. Tim also has the edge in Finals MVPs 3-2. Also 19 straight winning seasons, 17 straight 50 win seasons. Really sick stats on Timmy's side. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

Deadspin is reporting that Draymond Green has been arrested for assault. 

I assume he kicked or punched someone in the balls. 

Reports are he slapped a mouthy fan in a club, which sounds about right.

Man, next year we'll have No Kobe, No Timmy, Durant as a Warrior, Rose as a Knick, Wade as a Bull.  Watching the NBA is going to be really weird next year.

• Like 1

On the list of GOAT bigs, Timmy would be below Russell and Kareem, but ahead of Wilt, Shaq, and Hakeem. 

And I'm not willing to debate Kareem > Duncan THAT hard. Duncan probably could have averaged 30 if he wanted to and Duncan was better than Kareem at everything else. 

Shaq scored more per game, grabbed more rebounds, blocked more shots, shot a higher percentage and finished with a higher career PER.

Duncan's only edge on Shaq is longevity.

• Like 1