DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I've been seeing a lot of hand-wringing, pearl-clutching, and outright hostility towards Durant over this move, and personally, I think it's a bunch of horseshit.

Durant doesn't owe anyone outside of his immediate family a damn thing. He's been with that team for nine years. They've come close on a couple of occasions, but haven't gotten it done. Presti's draft picks aside, the organization has not done what it needed to do get over the hump and win a championship. I've got a sneaking suspicion that Durant isn't as enamored with playing with Westbrook as he would like to be. There is also no guarantee that if Durant had stuck around, Russ would have done the same thing after next season.

I see far too many people ascribing their own moral code to a situation that doesn't concern them, nor would they ever come within kicking distance of having to go through.

Judge away, but just remember, it ain't about you.

Me, I'm gonna sit back and watch the hell out of next season.

• Like 1

Who this coming year are championship contenders?  Golden State and Cleveland.  

Atlanta came back to reality.  Toronto lost their center and may replace him with Noel.  San Antonio lost Duncan.  Miami has broken up.  Oklahoma City is broken up.  

It is really two teams and the rest of the league.

That's the main thing that disappoints me with the move. The league was so nicely balanced (relatively speaking) the past few years with a handful of really good teams out in the west plus the dreaded Spurs and Warriors. Now it's pretty much just the Warriors barring injuries. Hopefully, the next generation of superstars progresses fast, so they can bring some balance back to the force/league. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the bigger GSW games but I'll be trying to watch more of the Bucks. Unless they sign Wade then I'll have to hope Giannis leaves and I can cheer him on a team without Dwyane Wade.

My point now is the gap between the top two teams and the rest of the league is massive.  It is literally Grand Canyon in size from one end to the other.

Atlanta added Howard and lost Horford.  It is a push. 

Miami loses Wade and others.  Step back.

Charlotte on the rise.  Maybe takes the division.  

Washington has peaked.

Detroit is on the rise but will go nowhere in Cleveland's division.

Indiana is treading water.

Toronto lost a center.

Boston may win the division but you are looking at a weak 50 win team.  Second round maybe Conference finals depending on matchup.  

Portland and the Clippers are treading water.  

The Clippers are stuck behind Golden State and going nowhere in the playoffs.

San Antonio is the closest to a spoiler but they lost Duncan. 

Memphis is treading water.

Oklahoma City is blown up.

Dallas and Houston are no real threats.

I'm mildly surprised. I thought he'd either stay in Miami, despite it all, or jump to Cleveland on the cheap. 

I was enjoying imagining a crunch time game seven Steph/Klay/KD/Green/Iggy vs Kyrie/DWade/King/Love/Thompson matchup.

16 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

I think some of you have short term memories. It was only last year when we were discussing the possibility of 6 championship contenders and 2nd-6th seeds were separated by one game. This year was unique in that GS and SA had nutty win streaks and regular season records. 

What were those 6 championship teams again?  I'll spot you Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, and Cavs that year.  After them, I got nothing.  No way was Houston in there.  OKC didn't make the playoffs.  Atlanta? C'mon.  Heat? Nope. 

I think that year is more on the few exception side of years than the rule.  The majority of years probably 5 or less.  Just look at the champion winners breakdown the last decade (Lebron, Duncan, Kobe show with Dallas/Boston/Golden State cameos). Even still (1) six out of 29 teams still isn't very high for parity sake and (2) one of the reasons there was that many contenders was due to free agency (Lebron going back to Cleveland).  And for all the nostalgia about the old days when the old school players didn't leave their teams, there was probably even less parity.

WADE TO CHICAGO THOUGH.  Wade wanted his money.  Don't blame him.  He already has his rings.  I don't know how the Wade/Rondo signings fit into Fred Hoiberg's offensive scheme...looks as if those plans were abandon.  Haha.

Reportedly, the Chicago and Miami offers were virtually identical.

He wanted respect and paid back for leaving 25 million on the table the last six years. Didn't get it, so he left.

32 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Stop bickering amongst yourselves.  We need to load up the DVDVR Bus and do wellness checks on Dolfan and Josh.

Business decision on both their parts and the truth is better to do this now than have to watch him get taken behind the barn in 2 years.

The best part is I get to watch Jrag have to do a 180 on the last decade. I Love This Game. 

• Like 2

I heard the Bulls offered a third year and Miami only offered two.  Nothing official out there yet, aka "WOJ hasn't said anything about it yet".

Anyway, I'm sure the respect thing is a factor too since they left him hanging and if they had signed Durant, they probably would have told him to suck it up or kick rocks.  Plus, everyone and their mama kept saying he was bluffing.  

Edit:

From WOJ:
"Sources: No team offered Wade a guaranteed third season, including Miami."

A Rondo/Wade/Butler/Gibson/Lopez lineup has like, negative spacing. 

The Cavs got Dunleavy in a trade due to all of this. They didn't have to give up Osman, which is interesting. 

This whole thing is insane. What if Whiteside backs out? Basketball is amazing. 

• Like 1