DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Presti doesn't deserve the blame. If nothing else, this man drafted Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka and Adams.

The cheap ass ownership that forced him to dump Harden, keep Perkins, etc...

Another thing! I'm happy this is going down in Oakland and not one of the traditional big market teams. That fan base has endured way too much shit over the years.

His ineptitude goes way beyond the Perkins/Harden fiasco but that choice should never have been forced upon him to begin with. Trading for Perkins basically ensured he was going to be fucked in terms of salary shortly down the road. It was a bad acquisition which then pushed him towards an even worse, all-time bad trade.

... ONE MORE THING! I hope Russ leaves Oklahoma next year and the team is relocated to Seattle.

• Like 1

I'm still not buying the Westbrook number 1 option and/or being more important than Durant talk.  I'm probably not as high on Westbrook as the rest of you.  I still think they'll win games with their crew[they'll definitely going to need add some scoring options] and Westbrook having some out this world games along the way, but I don't think it's going to be easy for them and I can easily seeing Westbrook breaking down trying to do too much.

I think the Bogut signing is alright until he eventually goes down.  The Barnes signing is a gamble and I wouldn't want to put money down on Barnes becoming an all-star level player, but it's probably a gamble the Mavs had to do.

1 minute ago, _MJ_ said:

I'm still not buying the Westbrook number 1 option and/or being more important than Durant talk.  I'm probably not as high on Westbrook as the rest of you.  I still think they'll win games with their crew[they'll definitely going to need add some scoring options] and Westbrook having some out this world games along the way, but I don't think it's going to be easy for them and I can easily seeing Westbrook breaking down trying to do too much.

I think the Bogut signing is alright until he eventually goes down.  The Barnes signing is a gamble and I wouldn't want to put money down on Barnes becoming an all-star level player, but it's probably a gamble the Mavs had to do.

Again though, the Thunder go to offense this year was Westbrook in the PnR with one of the bigs while KD spotted up. That already was their number one option.

Also, just out of curiosity, I looked it up.

Over the course of his career in Boston, Larry Bird played with eight other hall of famers.

Magic had five.

They didn't ever really need to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Again though, the Thunder go to offense this year was Westbrook in the PnR with one of the bigs while KD spotted up. That already was their number one option.

I didn't see it as the first option in that Spurs series.   I would have to recheck the Warriors close games.

I will say Presti is handling this lost much better than Dan Gilbert did...though that's not saying much.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Carmelo gets killed for taking money over chasing rings.

KD leaves a metric shit ton of cash on the table, gets killed for chasing rings.

He can and will opt out after this year - so he's not even leaving money on the table.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Maybe because he wants to win a title and isn't a complete egomaniac and realizes that, as a No.1 option, he was never going to win a title?

He took these Warriors seven games. Why would he never win a title?

I don't know how anyone doesn't think this makes him look bad. It boggles my mind.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Vincey Greene said:

He can and will opt out after this year - so he's not even leaving money on the table.

He took these Warriors seven games. Why would he never win a title?

I don't know how anyone doesn't think this makes him look bad. It boggles my mind.

He's still leaving a ton. Maximum annual raise from GSW will be 4%, and if they resign him and are over the cap, the starting point can only be 115% of this year's.

Difference between an annual average salary (based on cap estimates for next year) of $32.6 million over the next five years and 40.7 over six.

It's about 91 million he left on the table, minus however much he gets in the sixth year, which definitely won't be close to 90.

5 hours ago, steve said:

All this hate will fade like it did with Lebron. When Ben Simmons goes to join KAT and Wiggins in Minnesota in 2020 Niners will be like, "People will remember that title KD won FOREVER!"

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No chance in hell.

You likely said or thought the same thing about Lebron when he went to Miami.

You've spent most of the past few pages talking about what Lebron did this year will be remembered forever.

You do realize how badly this undercuts your argument, right?  Unless I missed something Durant didn't sign a lifetime contract with the Warriors, he'll have plenty of opportunity to go do something elsewhere afterwards.  Perhaps it'll even be someplace more to your liking.

My thought is that we should travel back in time and crucify Aldridge for signing with the Spurs last year.  All stars should be prevented from signing with already good teams that people like to play for.

No disrespect to LA but he's not on Durant's level of being a top 2-3 player in the league. He's very very good. All these comparisons but it's not the same thing.

Clearly some of you disagree with me and that's fine, I'd rather discuss Westbrook right now. I think the Thunder should move him now. Yes, they could play this out with Adams and Oladipo and maybe be a 6 seed in the West but that's not going to entice Westbrook to stay. I think he's out the door. The Thunder probably realize this.  Westbrook's value won't be any higher than it is now. The longer the season goes the less value he'll have in a trade. He's going to be a rental for someone. 

If I'm the Thunder, I trade Westbrook now. A team will get a full year out of him and the Thunder can tank. Maybe they receive a couple young players in return and a pick.  Something like a Brown, [insert other young player, maybe Smart] and the Nets pick would be good for them. Boston gets a full year of Westbrook and can try to convince him. Thunder get a nice package AND with them tanking another lottery pick in the 2017 draft which is supposed to be deep. 

Context matters. When LeBron left Cleveland, he went to a team that hadn't won a championship for 4 years. He doesn't usually get criticized for leaving Cleveland, rather how he left. Chris Bosh doesn't get criticized for leaving Toronto  (except by polite Canadians). These guys didn't join a super group, they created one. LaMarcus left and joined a team that got bounced in the 1st round even though they won the chip the year before. His team was also getting bounced in the 1st round that year. Big difference. 

Now, using this year's free agents, let's say Durant, Horford and Conley left and created a new Super team in Chicago with Butler. Nobody would be criticizing them for leaving their squads. They didn't join the powerhouse, they created one. That's the difference. If you can't see the distinction then you are either being incredibly myopic or disingenuous. 

• Like 1

My whole takeaway from this is that 2010 Wade couldn't carry 2016 Steph's jock. They're the centerpiece incumbents in this comparison and nobody is pretending Wade was a top five player when Lebron went to give him a lift which is fine with me considering the grudge I still hold that he got all those calls against the Mavs in the Finals because defenders dared to breathe on him. It isn't the same as past superpowers coalescing because nobody is willing to pretend the likes of Pierce and Wade were better than borderline top ten players at the time that they buddied up with other superstars flocking to their cities.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

Now, using this year's free agents, let's say Durant, Horford and Conley left and created a new Super team in Chicago with Butler. Nobody would be criticizing them for leaving their squads. They didn't join the powerhouse, they created one. That's the difference. If you can't see the distinction then you are either being incredibly myopic or disingenuous. 

Disagree.  I believe plenty of people would be criticizing this hypothetical move.  For Durant, any move that wasn't going back to OKC(the safe choice) would have been criticized.  Even moving to your Spurs, who are usually bulletproof when comes to media criticism, would have generate some blow back.

14 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Can't wait to see the Mike Antoni Rockets vs. this new look Golden State team.  I think 300 points between the two teams is very, very possible. 

Yes, I could also see GSW beating the Rockets 204-96.

• Like 8