DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

They have had talent in the past. It hasn't translated. Was OKC his best shot at winning a title right now, in a year were basically every single team in the NBA could afford to sign him? And how many other players have ever been in this situation before?

So he couldn't have beaten GSW? He couldn't have given it another try?  He had to join them instead..  No, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird..  nobody would have done something like this. Kobe couldn't wait to get rid of Shaq.  Everyone called him an asshole for it but he won two more titles and proved to the world that he didn't need Shaq to do it.  KD isn't wired like that, which is sad.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That LA team was a mess. This GSW team won 73 games. No comparison.

Hence "closest". Not "close". You keep competing, though. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So he couldn't have beaten GSW? He couldn't have given it another try?  He had to join them instead..  No, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird..  nobody would have done something like this. Kobe couldn't wait to get rid of Shaq.  Everyone called him an asshole for it but he won two more titles and proved to the world that he didn't need Shaq to do it.  KD isn't wired like that, which is sad.

Damn millennials, amrite? All they care about is where has the best wifi.

The closest thing I can compare this to is Wilt leaving Philly to join Baylor and West in Los Angeles. 

Anyway, in the NBA, legacy matters. Payton is a champion but nobody looks at Payton as a guy who led a team to a championship. The same for Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Michael Finley and others. Ring chasing, right or wrong, absolutely is used as a factor in determining a player's legacy. 

Many factors have to play out but if a healthy Warriors team wins the title, big whoop. If Curry or Green go down and Durant steps up in the Finals, it will rehab the rep of being a bandwagon superstar. 

• Like 1

My only real gripe about this KD to GSW business is that it is going to make the league boring af this year.  Who wants to watch a season of basketball when the outcome isn't even in question, barring some freak injury?  It's "competitive sports" remember?  The Lebron Heat don't even touch this team.

Enough about that though, how about the Mavs turning things around into having an actually ok offseason?  I LOVE having Bogut, and I think Rick can maximize whatever talent Barnes may have.  Most importantly, it keeps Dirk in town.

• Like 1

Why is it sad, exactly? That he isn't an egotistical asshole like all indications Kobe and MJ were? And using Magic and Bird as examples are once more is stupid. 0 of those players also actually were in a position of having been titleless by the time they turned 30. It's not a fair comparison. 

I mean, this is kind of a case of you yelling at a cloud to me. 

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Why is it sad, exactly? That he isn't an egotistical asshole like all indications Kobe and MJ were? And using Magic and Bird as examples are once more is stupid. 0 of those players also actually were in a position of having been titleless by the time they turned 30. It's not a fair comparison. 

I mean, this is kind of a case of you yelling at a cloud to me. 

It's more a case of you not understanding how the NBA works. Jordan and Kobe wanted to be leaders and that's how legacies are built. Kenny Smith brings up his two rings all the time and Barkley shuts him down because nobody gives a fuck that Kenny Smith won two rings.  It's not about the ring entirely. It's about how as well.

haha "You aren't mad so you must not actually UNDERSTAND!"

I don't give a fuck how people view it. I bet Kevin Durant doesn't either. You seem to lack the ability to realize a lot of people simply don't understand why anyone should give a quarter of a shit how one wins a championship. A title is a title. I won't begrudge a player doing what he feels is the best way to increase his chances at a title, which this unquestionably is.

If he had signed with the Spurs, everyone would have such a boner. Instead he chose the new Evil Empire (even though the Warriors have only been relevant for 3 years). His legacy is going to be whatever people decide best fits the narrative they want.

The difference with Melo, is that he took the cash to stay on a shitty team, that he knew was shitty.  Like KD, Carmelo was gonna make bank wherever he went.  Durant left a contending team to join the better team that he can't beat.

• Like 1

I just want to point out that KD will very likely score more PPG than Curry next year and the "he doesn't want to be the number 1 option talk" will be mute.

I don't fault him for going, but i sure as shit aint rooting for him for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

Maybe because he wants to win a title and isn't a complete egomaniac and realizes that, as a No.1 option, he was never going to win a title?

That's why it's sad. Because he has the talent to compete against Golden State and instead would rather join them and beat on jobbers.  Do you want to watch Samoa Joe vs. Nakamura or Samoa Joe vs. random TNA guys.  I'd rather watch the best vs. the best.

• Like 2

I'm highly interested in if he grinds the offense to a halt with isos or if he drops (or at least uses it significantly less) one of his best skills.

Of course, him in an iso with Curry and Green and Klay spotting up around him could be terrifying.

I  am, of course, disappointed but not surprised he didn't come to Boston.

But I think 95% of the sour grapes is because.. well.. everyone else's chances went down to be big. Plus, you know, it's cool to hate the powerful.

• Like 1

All this hate will fade like it did with Lebron. When Ben Simmons goes to join KAT and Wiggins in Minnesota in 2020 Niners will be like, "People will remember that title KD won FOREVER!"

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

He had Scott Brooks playing Kendrick Perkins. He had a guy who had never coached in the NBA. He had ownership who traded away James Harden because they didn't want to pay the luxury tax. They brought in such wonderful names as Derek Fisher and Anthony Morrow to play crunch time minutes.

Seriously, Sam Presti's role in all of this needs to be put under a microscope. A competent GM has that team winning at least one title in the past 5 years. That man is a joke.

Zaza signs with GSW for $2.9 million. Great sneaky little deal for them and they can continue to throw out all sorts of line-ups that will do the most damage against any opposition. 

• Like 1