DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, steve said:

It's funny that people demand athletes take a harder path.

Would you go to your job tomorrow and deliberately make it harder on yourself? No.

You can't really use real life jobs because most people don't work in jobs where you have a "winner" or "champion". The job isn't "harder" because the best person at Cox Cable sold less than the best person at XFinitity

The only closest thing you can think of would be Durant quitting a job where he was the #1 sales guy in a used car lot to the #4 sales guy at a Honda dealership.  

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Slightly more modernized version. It also has sound.

Haha, I never heard the loud, "Noooooooooooooo!" from that one guy in the crowd just before the first Seth Rollins chair shot on Roman.  Hilarious.

• Like 1

It's hard to be angry with Durant unless you're Westbrook or an OKC fan.  He's going to make bank, no matter where he went.  It's simply a matter of choosing the team that best helps him win.  He's a decade into his career now.  If he goes down without at least a couple of rings, he's doomed to be labeled a failure.  He's looking to speed up the process.  It's hard to argue against that.

Where you can be critical of KD is that he's leaving a very good team with a Top 5 guy in Westbrook as a running mate.  That's not LeBron leaving Boobie Gibson and Shaq's crippled legs for a better alternative.  Durant had it good with the Thunder.

If nothing else, watching Russ possibly shoot-fight the entire GSW roster should be loads of fun.

I love people saying that he took the easy or cheap way out, when he picked the destination that puts him under the most pressure.

If he resigns with Oklahoma, no pressure because it was "the right thing to do" *gag* and if he and Russ lose again it's because the front office didn't give him the right support.

If he signs with Boston, no pressure because, even though he puts that team into the top 2 or 3 in the East, I don't think anyone would consider them yet ready to beat Lebron or one of the West teams.

If he signs with Miami, maybe a little pressure, just because he would be doing what Lebron was doing. But again does anyone think him teaming with old Wade would be able to get past Lebron or the West? People probably crack a lot of jokes about the signing, though.

If he signs with the Clippers, no pressure, everyone just laughs a bit.

Instead he signs with Golden State. If that team wins less than 65 games, people will think they're a failure. If they lose in the Finals, or worse don't even make it, people will think they're a failure. If they win the title, people will try to discount it as bought or expected. If they don't break all kinds of offensive records, people will think they're a failure.

He literally cannot win. Good on him for having the balls to go through with it.

• Like 4

Bogut to Dallas is actually a really interesting basketball move as well. Finally gets them the rim protector they've been looking for for years, and a dynamic passer in both the high and low post than Carlisle should be able to unleash in all sorts of ways.

If I'm giving KD the benefit of the doubt as being a smart guy, I could see this move as him going to Golden State, winning a title, learning the ins and outs of a winning organization and taking that with him to his next spot (Lakers). He wins a title, gives the Lakers a couple years to rebuild and move on from Kobe, and then he can step in and be the new face of the franchise for the rest of his career.

• Like 2

I'm excited to see KD in a system that's based on movement without the ball. He should have much higher percentage looks than in OKC.

For real though, Westbrook in the meetings against GSW should be analyzed by scientists and we should have holidays so everybody can take in the phenomenal effort and physical feats he's going to put forth. It's going to be the best.

OKC should totally trade Westbrook and go full rebuild. 

Send him to Houston!  He won't have to play any defense!  On the other hand, he and Harden might fist fight over who gets to play hero ball. 

I'm pissed at this move, purely as a basketball fan. OKC/GSW could have been a classic series next year, and I think Oladipo actually put OKC over the top, but there's really no suspense in Durant/GSW running roughshod through the Western Conference.

Oh, and how cute is it that Mark Cuban, the guy who pushed to stop the CP3 to the Lakers trade, is now the one taking on Bogut to facilitate this for GSW. What a complete dipshit.

• Like 1

I don't see KD ending up as with the Lakers.  Didn't even take a meeting with them and he's already in California now.

I'm not sure the Westbrook show in OKC is going to be pretty or last long.  We saw a preview of it when Durant when down, and Thunder fell fast.  Westbrook is a free agent after next season so OKC management will be desperate if they start slow next season.  Maybe even open to trading him if it gets real bad.

KD has every right to go to the team he wants to go to for whatever reason he chooses. And I have every right to hate on a guy who is taking the easy way to grab a ring. I hated LeBron for jumping to Miami. It was the easy way out and he suffered in the public eye for it with the Dallas loss and the San Antonio loss. Then he went back and won Cleveland the title and beloved again. That's such a hero's journey type move.

My fandom of guys is allowed to change when they move teams. KD in OKC was such a great storyline. The whole "young guns out to take the world" period, Harden trade, the injuries always biting them in the ass, the constant "KD vs. Russ" debate, choking away the 3-1 lead.

He really is doing a gutless move. I'm allowed to hate him for it. Sports are better when there are villains. One of the biggest babyfaces of his era in all of sports just sold out. It's a great story and it's my job to boo a villain.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

KD has every right to go to the team he wants to go to for whatever reason he chooses. And I have every right to hate on a guy who is taking the easy way to grab a ring. I hated LeBron for jumping to Miami. It was the easy way out and he suffered in the public eye for it with the Dallas loss and the San Antonio loss. Then he went back and won Cleveland the title and beloved again. That's such a hero's journey type move.

My fandom of guys is allowed to change when they move teams. KD in OKC was such a great storyline. The whole "young guns out to take the world" period, Harden trade, the injuries always biting them in the ass, the constant "KD vs. Russ" debate, choking away the 3-1 lead.

He really is doing a gutless move. I'm allowed to hate him for it. Sports are better when there are villains. One of the biggest babyfaces of his era in all of sports just sold out. It's a great story and it's my job to boo a villain.

I feel like I know how everyone else feels in the RAW threads now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

K? And why shouldn't he go to the team that beat them last year if he thinks it's his best way to win a title.

This is the only sport I know were perceived legacy means more then actually winning to some people, and it's ridiculous. 

Durant said it best.

• Like 1