DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Ok but answer this why couldn't teams to to players on there roasters and offer to extend them by adding years and money? Instead of throwing big money at none elite players?

It all cycles back to my comment about 90% of the NBA GM's being horrible GM's.  

Get what you can because a hard cap is coming.  I heard that dreaded word brought up in a few places.

16 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Dwight Howard to the Hawks, 3 yrs, $.70.5 . For reasons, I guess. Actually Howard deserved to be in Atlanta, as he is like the Hawks can be: full of potential, and never delivering on it. . .

I don't like Dwight, but he is a 3 time Defensive Player of the Year, an 8 time all star, was the best player on a NBA Finals team, beat Lebron in the playoffs, and was probably the second best player in the NBA for a three year period (09 season through 11 season). He is a first ballot hall of famer. He's a whiny garbage baby that consistently wants to do things he shouldn't do, but it's not fair to say he hasn't lived up to his potential. 

If Howard can pull defenses back just enough to free up open space for the shooters it will be a good deal.  

Howard does not need to be the stud down low.  He just needs to make defenses respect him enough to open space past 15 feet.

There's a lot money being thrown around, but I always get a kick out of some people getting annoyed over the NBA contracts when MLB have had more than a few outlandish ones, yet it doesn't seem to produce the same level of shock/coverage/uproar.

This tv money isn't making itself.  Get paid.

This off season has confirmed a point that we have known all along: It is ridiculous to demand loyalty in a business where their bosses are the collective least loyal people on earth.

29 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

There's a lot money being thrown around, but I always get a kick out of some people getting annoyed over the NBA contracts when MLB have had more than a few outlandish ones, yet it doesn't seem to produce the same level of shock/coverage/uproar.

The NFL and NHL have hard caps.  That is a huge difference.

For MLB, the luxury tax is a huge impediment.  You also need to build from within to have success in MLB.  Long gone are the days when the Yankees can buy the best players and expect a World Series berth.

The NBA is this bizarre animal where the salary cap is pretty meaningless with exemptions galore to bail out bad GM's, players can manipulate the cap to attract free agents, etc.

It is like the salary cap floor.  Your total payroll does not have to be there until the end of the season.  You can have a $10 million payroll until the trade deadline, take on $75 million in expiring contracts, and still make the floor.  There is no real minor league system much like football.

The NBA has some strange rules around extensions these days. They are shorter deals worth less, can only be signed under certain circumstances, and if the guy was already under contract for this year, the new money in the contract wouldn't help with the floor this season.

I have to look over all their moves, but I think I like most of what the Pacers have did.

I don't get the Parsons love.  Always thought he was okay to above average player, but not all star.

3 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

I don't like Dwight, but he is a 3 time Defensive Player of the Year, an 8 time all star, was the best player on a NBA Finals team, beat Lebron in the playoffs, and was probably the second best player in the NBA for a three year period (09 season through 11 season). He is a first ballot hall of famer. He's a whiny garbage baby that consistently wants to do things he shouldn't do, but it's not fair to say he hasn't lived up to his potential. 

That's fair enough. I didn't quite make the point/joke I was trying to make. More about having no heart in a fanbase that doesn't have one. Like I said I phrased it acquardly and it didn't land. Consider it taken back.  . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Its not so much the money as the timing that some of the guys benefited from. Howard, Conley and the like have earned the money. I don't resent the Mosgov's of the world for the money, hell the system's the system, Every contract this year is inflated about 50 percent. it just looks weird for some of these role players to make $16 million plus a year. Good for them though. . .

It's not that the above average players and fringe all stars are overpaid, it's that the NBA cap makes them paid the same as the superstars. I think Chandler Parsons is a good basketball player, and there aren't a lot of good basketball players. You need guys like Chandler Parsons for your team to be good. It's just the NBA makes it so that he earns the same amount as Lebron James and Kevin Durant, when those dudes should be making significantly more. 

• Like 2

The point is valid, but I'd be interested to see what the lineups were like for both. I would bet that Chandler is putting up those numbers against starters while Leuer is doing so against mostly reserves. Also, this is completely anecdotal, but watching both players, it looks like Parsons can be useful as a ball handler in pick and rolls, while Leuer is more limited in his role. That could be totally untrue.

I think Chandler's three point shooting in this NBA and his above average scoring is what keeps team interested.  His rebounding, assist rate, and even his free throw percentage aren't grand.  People say he's pretty good at defense but I haven't focus on him in enough games to agree or disagree with it.

Tom Brady might be in the Boston Celtics' recruitment meeting for Kevin Durant.  This is where we are at in NBA free agency.  I love it.

Yeah, I kinda cherrypicked that comparison to be provocative.  Parsons is a better passer, ball handler, and shooter than Leuer over more minutes.  Plus he's been doing this for four years where 15-16 was by far Leuer's career year.  So Parsons is clearly more valuable, but is he twice as valuable?

Here's another fun comparison to look at.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pistons find their stretch four. Jon  Leuer, 4/$42(!!)

Done da Badgers proud! I had no idea he was even still in the league and he's barely played. At this rate, Frank Kaminsky will get 900 million.

I'm really happy for Memphis. I love that team. Conley's the best player to not make an All-Star game and I sorta want him to never make one just because of that. Parson is a good player. Most importantly, it means the Grit'n'Grind era has a little bit of legs left. They're one of all-time favorite "teams that won't ever win the title but will take someone who should win the title out" of all-time.