DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

On June 1, 2016 at 7:37 PM, RandomAct said:

You could sit ME on the bench to coach a Lebron team, and they'd make the Finals in the East.  Blatt proved his worth in the Finals by changing the defensive and lineup schemes to actually give GSW a scare.

To be fair to Lue, during last year's playoff run, he was considered the 'defensive coordinator' and got a lot of the credit for the scheme throughout the playoffs, even while Blatt was head coach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Barring the Clippers saying hell no, Irving for Paul is a thing that's going to happen. 

Let me just get in on the offseason ground floor with that

They just might, they are not run by a senile racist slumlord anymore. . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, APO said:

Always loved Jimmy ever since he came out of Marquette, but Chicago's gonna ask for Wiggins in return along with the pick and that would be a serious no-go, IMO.

Aside from financial reasons because Wiggins is on a rookie contract, isn't Jimmy Butler already the best case scenario for what Wiggins could turn in to? Like, chances are Wiggins tops out as slightly worse than Butler, either never develops a consistent shot, or never really clicks on defense despite his natural talents. If Thibs thinks that the West is soft in the back end, I feel like that's a trade he has to heavily consider. Rubio/Butler/KAT probably gives you the best perimeter defense and the best rim protection in the NBA. 

10 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

Aside from financial reasons because Wiggins is on a rookie contract, isn't Jimmy Butler already the best case scenario for what Wiggins could turn in to? Like, chances are Wiggins tops out as slightly worse than Butler, either never develops a consistent shot, or never really clicks on defense despite his natural talents. If Thibs thinks that the West is soft in the back end, I feel like that's a trade he has to heavily consider. Rubio/Butler/KAT probably gives you the best perimeter defense and the best rim protection in the NBA. 

Well, offensively, Wiggins is already far better than Jimmy was at this point in his career. He's definitely behind on defense, but Thibs is the right coach to mold him in that area. Like cubby mentioned, Jimmy's got a lot of miles on him already and breaking up the nucleus of the team for a guy who might hit the wall in a year or two just seems like a really bad idea to me. And honestly, money has to play a part in it as well since Butler's contract would be netting him $19m+ before he becomes a FA and we'd still have to work out extentions for KAT and LaVine(club option helps with KAT. If Zach turns into the offensive beast a lot of people think he can be, he's gonna want to get PAID).

8 hours ago, APO said:

Well, offensively, Wiggins is already far better than Jimmy was at this point in his career. .

Is he? He's scored more points because he's played on bad teams where he can take a ton of shots, but through his first two years, Butler had higher true shooting, better individual Ortg per 100 possessions, and better assist to turnover ratio. Of course some of that is skewed by Wiggins having an absurdly high usage rate for a second year player, but Butler already a plus offensive player in year two and Wiggins was not. This doesn't even mention Butler being a plus defender from year two on, while Wiggins is not close.

The tread on the tires argument makes sense if you think Butler is going to break down, which is totally fair. I don't think this trade gets made, to be honest, and the Timberwolves would not be wrong to say no. It just seems closer than it might on initial inspection. 

Durant has all of Oklahoma by the balls.  If he goes anywhere, that franchise is going to fall into the Bucks/Kings small market, 'mediocre-at-best' territory in a god damned hurry.  And being within 5 minutes of knocking off GS has got to eat him alive. So, I'd hope OKC just has people literally throwing money at him wherever he goes. 

Supposedly Cleveland can clear cap room to get him, which would be absolutely bonkers.  The Warriors absolutely have to take a look and see if they can bring him to the Bay, that's just good business. Miami is going to move heaven and earth (and knowing Pat, several other planets) to get him in red and black next season.   Hell, the Spurs can supposedly take a shot too. 

This is a Lebron In 2010 level player hitting the open market for the first time in their career.  If you're a GM in the NBA and aren't making a pitch to Durant, you should not have a job. 

I kind of like the idea of Cleveland shipping out Love and bringing in Carmelo. Mostly to see how long it lasts before it blows up spectacularly. 

I can't get behind the idea of Durant playing for Golden State. It would be too much.

• Like 1

The Sixers have reportedly told Ben Simmons that they'll be drafting him at #1.  

Also, Embiid has been cleared to scrimmage so it's a pretty good day in Philly

So I like how the internet has turned "The Warriors interested in Dirk"  into "Dirk considering leaving Mavs".  You understand things better when you don't get your reporting from shitty clickbait articles.

• Like 2