DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The Grizzlies just fired Joerger. Watdafuq?

Further details: he wanted out to get a better contract from either Houston or Sacramento. Wow... Welcome to Memphis, Mr. Vogel.

Woj is making it sound like he's very likely signing with Sacramento. From one of the most stable positions to the least stable but the rumoured compensation is $4 million a year.

Yeah, but if you can get paid serious money and only have to work half your contract because the owner is nuts, it worth considering. . .

Joerger toiled in basketball hell (the US minors) for years before getting a shot at Memphis. I can completely understand him wanting to double his salary. He made peanuts and sat on bus rides for teams that probably stalled on paychecks. Memphis's window is (sadly) closing and dependent on Conley wanted to return. If he thinks he doesn't have a voice in the front office, he might as well look to make double. Sacramento is sort of the ideal position if you're a NBA head coach in a twisted way. He gets paid no matter what. If he works some magic with that roster, then his stock rises. If the team remains a dysfunctional mess, it's not his fault because the team is run by maniacs/shitheads and also has the completely combustible Boogie as its best player.

I could also buy Woj's line about Joerger thinking the FO was setting him up to fail. I don't think it's because of a shitty roster (any move they made is defensible) as much as it is that it's filled with maniacs. That's why I love them but it's still a tough team to manage.

Vogel to Indiana has a lot of potential. Is Lance back next year for them? If so, he's the one guy who ever figured out how to get him to play. If he figures that out and they get Conley back they'll be really solid again.

On 5/7/2016 at 3:37 PM, raul said:

joerger please sign with sacramento and save us

You have your wish

Kings signed him to a 4 year deal

Joerger did pretty well with the island of misfit toys that Memphis signed this year, so he might actually have a shot at handling the locker room in Sacramento until the front office inevitably kneecaps him.

There's so much to read between the lines here.

My reading: Phil has decided on Kurt Rambis, everyone else in New York thinks this decision is stupid and is trying to get someone better (Vogel or Blatt). Phil's response is passive-aggressively sitting on his Montana ranch. 

Meanwhile, Vogel is going to be house hunting in Memphis by the end of the week. 

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Joerger did pretty well with the island of misfit toys that Memphis signed this year, so he might actually have a shot at handling the locker room in Sacramento until the front office inevitably kneecaps him.

Memphis is full of crazy people, but those crazy people are professionals who work and play their asses off every single night.  In terms of crazy, you don't get a more desirable kind of crazy than the Memphis roster.  That is a team full of dudes who have no problem fighting, but that translates to why they tend to overachieve on the court.  Sacramento is a bunch of dudes who aren't really trying to fight, but they behave in a way that makes you want to fight them.  They are the dude who think they can say anything to you, but if you punch them in the face they act like they were completely innocent in the situation.  The only issue is that Boogie Cousins is way bigger and stronger than you, and if you punch him in the face he may pick you up and break you over his knee.  In Memphis, those dudes will look you in the face like a man and if they respect you they'll fight for you.  Joerger's problem was with the front office not the players in Memphis, in Sacramento it will be both.  

"After much thought and careful consideration, I and I alone, have come to the conclusion that I am not the right head coach for this team," Skiles said in a statement released by the team. "Therefore, effective immediately, I resign my position as head coach of the Orlando Magic. I realize this type of decision can cause much speculation. The reality though is in the first sentence. It is simple and true. Any other rumors are pure conjecture."

"I sincerely apologize for any unintended consequences that may adversely affect anyone associated with this decision," Skiles continued. "The Magic are a world-class organization that employs world-class people. I wish them nothing but great success. I will always be thankful, especially to the DeVos family, for the opportunity."

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Is Duncan done for sure? 

More generally, who does everyone think will retire this year.  I'm saying Duncan, Manu, Pierce, VC, and Andre Miller.  If Manu and Dunc do retire, I could see Parker shutting it down as well.

If Manu & Timmy are both gone, I can definitely see Parker giving it one last shot with the Clippers or as a vet minimum on the Cavs, Blazers, or (Team Where KD Ends Up).  One of the biggest threats is gone, the cap is about to go way up.  Why not hold on for one last time, see if you can contribute with one last shot (BOSH BACK OUT TO ALLEN IN THE CORNER... BANG!!!!!!!).

Then retire when the league is shuttered after next season. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If Manu & Timmy are both gone, I can definitely see Parker giving it one last shot with the Clippers or as a vet minimum on the Cavs, Blazers, or (Team Where KD Ends Up).  One of the biggest threats is gone, the cap is about to go way up.  Why not hold on for one last time, see if you can contribute with one last shot (BOSH BACK OUT TO ALLEN IN THE CORNER... BANG!!!!!!!).

Then retire when the league is shuttered after next season. 

Possible, but the issue with that is Parker is under contract through 2018.  I'm guessing that if he asked for a trade the Spurs would accommodate him as best they could, but it makes things a bit dicier.

Oh hell.  I completely brain farted and thought you meant Pierce.  But yeah, I don't see Tony Parker hanging around too long if both Tim & Manu call it a career this summer. 

Parker looked fine during the season. His role changed from the leading scorer to 2nd leading scorer last year to 3rd leading scorer on a team with 2 guys who like to go iso. He isn't going anywhere. He recently did an interview where he said he would like to play for the Spurs until he was 40 just like Timmy. If I find the article, I will post it. 

Who seems an odd fit if the plan was to modernize the offense. Unless Nate has totally changed offensive philosophies while unemployed, he was never a small ball pace n space guy.