DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Idk what Dirk is doing.  I feel like it's him trying to muscle Cuban and Donnie into getting him an actual fucking team.  I doubt very seriously he takes LESS money.  I think the most likely scenario is power play/create cap flexibility while also getting what he deserves.  I think the Mavs top priorities in offseason are Howard and Conley, but obviously money has to be maneuvered.

He's been taking less so they have cap space for years, and they only really put it together once in the last 8 or 9 years. I don't blame him if he's looking for a near max deal now.

I don't think he's looking for max, because he knows that leaves them with almost nothing if they also keep Parsons, but he should at least be looking to make as much as Duncan in the 10-12 mil range.  My gut says he waits to see if they have a shot at KD, and they go from there.

Yeah, this one I don't get. The way he weathered the storm last year, totally changed the team on the fly, and got right back to a top ten defense... You give that man a raise.

Indy's preliminary list of candidates: Mike D'Antoni, Mark Jackson, Brian Shaw, Mike Woodson, Randy Wittman.

So, a bunch of guys not as good as Frank Vogel.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 4:57 PM, RandomAct said:

I don't think he's looking for max, because he knows that leaves them with almost nothing if they also keep Parsons, but he should at least be looking to make as much as Duncan in the 10-12 mil range.  My gut says he waits to see if they have a shot at KD, and they go from there.

Timmy is only making 5 mil a year. 

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

How much money do you need? Once your at that level and have a big contract or three, you ought to try to get as many rings as possible. Or you could do what Kobe did. . . 

Eh, Kobe has five. It's not like you can really bash him on the angle of him not winning. Same number of rings as Timmy, and one more conference title.

• Like 1

Thee difference is when TImmy hangs em up, his team is in a good place to continue the winning tradition. The Lakers are rebuilding and Kobe actively scared free agents away from the Lakers the last couple of year. 

• Like 1

Of course. And the Spurs also have a much better front office and such.

But raging on Kobe for taking money instead of chasing rings kinda runs into reality like a brick wall. Outside the Celtics dynasty, you can count on one hand the players with more rings than him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am sure Phil Jackson will interview him right away.

Looks...

Knicks search on hold while Phil Jackson takes vacation

Oh....

I was okay with the Phil signing at first, honestly just because he's not Isiah. At this point though, I'm pretty over it. Yeah, we got Kristaps the God, but from several accounts, he wasn't Phil's choice, and it feels almost like an accident that we managed to draft someone so good. Taking a vacation just as he coaching carousel is going on isn't a good look, especially after we couldn't manage to get into the playoffs in the East. I don't know how you fix the Knicks, as Dolan isn't going anywhere, but this Phil experiment doesn't feel like it's going to end well.

The Jackson hire felt from the very beginning like when a contractor gives a super high quote to intentionally price himself out of a job he doesn't really want, but then gets the go ahead anyway so he feels obligated to accept. I'm sure he told Dolan "5/60m with opt out clauses whenever" fully expecting Dolan to tell him to get fucked. Dolan said sure and now here we are. 

• Like 1

Hating on Kobe for taking the money is just foolish. The dude could have made 40 mil this year and he would have still been underpaid considering the revenue he generates.

The cap is stupid, is what I'm saying....

Even the shitty franchises have tripled in value since Tim and Kobe came into the league.

Edit: And what Fowler said too.  He didn't have to take pay cuts to win. 

The Grizzlies just fired Joerger. Watdafuq?

Further details: he wanted out to get a better contract from either Houston or Sacramento. Wow... Welcome to Memphis, Mr. Vogel.

Woj is making it sound like he's very likely signing with Sacramento. From one of the most stable positions to the least stable but the rumoured compensation is $4 million a year.