DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If that's the case it's a dumb hire. The only value Brooks has would be recruiting Durant. If he can't do that what's the point?

He has a 62% winning percentage, a great track record of developing young players, and made it to a Finals and 2 WCFs.

Let's not act like they're hiring Byron Scott here.

I don't think we're giving Brooks enough credit. He consistently crafted a top 10 defense and a top five offense. The offense you can say is all talent, but I don't think Durant and Westbrook develop defensively without Brooks. Sure he's a bit of a mess in the playoffs, but unlike Wittman, he'll actually get there. It's not like there are a billion other great candidates clamoring to come to Washington. I would take Brooks over Walton in a heartbeat, by the way. It wouldn't even be a question in my mind. 

15 hours ago, Zimbra said:

He has a 62% winning percentage, a great track record of developing young players, and made it to a Finals and 2 WCFs.

Let's not act like they're hiring Byron Scott here.

And OKC lost Russ one year in the playoffs and Ibaka in another. And KD last year in the regular season.

Brooks is a really solid coach. He's not Pop and OKC was aggravating to watch at times on offense. But he's still in the upper echelon of coaches. Washington could do way worse.

The goofs who run Liberty Ballers (SB Nation's Sixers blog) took out a billboard that says "Hinkie Forever" with his face all over it. These guys have whined so much about the Colangelo family. It's gross. I said on Twitter last night after their latest whine fest that I wanted to spray paint "10-72" over their dumb billboard. They retweeted so I have been dealing with Hinkie cultists on Twitter. It's a fun thought experiment. These people really don't understand the whole "if you trade for draft picks, you have to make the draft picks work" part of the equation.

Someone asked me what Hinkie could have done better with the original assets he flipped. So I looked into it. If he hit on every pick (as opposed to not hitting on really any, unless you count Nerlens Noel), the Sixers could have had this lineup (including their own draft picks):

Giannis/CJ McCollum/Jokic/LaVine/Randle/Porzingas. Or even Jah is a better fit in that lineup.  It has a potential generational star in Giannis, a shooting guard in CJ who is becoming an All-Star level player, two bangers, a stretch guy and an athletic freak starting to figure it out. I'd take that team.

I know this is all "hindsight drafting" but that's sorta how you live and die as a NBA GM, especially one who is doing everything they can to build via the draft.

• Like 1

Speaking of misunderstood genius...

“Logic was that you take six of the seven A.B.A. teams and make the N.B.A. a 24-team league,” Daniel Silna recalled on Tuesday. “It would make scheduling easier. So (brother) Ozzie said, ‘Look, if one of the seven does not get taken into the league, they’re still our partners, so we should give them one-seventh of our TV revenues going forward.’ ”

The money was not big at first because the contract with CBS was modest. But the brothers’ four-sevenths share of an N.B.A. team’s national television revenue swelled as superstars like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and LeBron James turned the league into global entertainment.

The league failed in its efforts to buy out the Silnas, if only to let the Nets, the Pacers, the Spurs and the Nuggets keep all their television revenue. By the time a settlement was reached in 2014, the Silnas had been paid nearly $300 million without ever fielding a team, paying player salaries or building an arena. The price to end the deal was a $500 million lump sum payment and a small annual stream of money.

In Spirit, In Perpetuity. RIP Ozzie Silna.

• Like 3

On 4/27/2016 at 3:29 PM, Greggulator said:

The goofs who run Liberty Ballers (SB Nation's Sixers blog) took out a billboard that says "Hinkie Forever" with his face all over it. These guys have whined so much about the Colangelo family. It's gross. I said on Twitter last night after their latest whine fest that I wanted to spray paint "10-72" over their dumb billboard. They retweeted so I have been dealing with Hinkie cultists on Twitter. It's a fun thought experiment. These people really don't understand the whole "if you trade for draft picks, you have to make the draft picks work" part of the equation.

Someone asked me what Hinkie could have done better with the original assets he flipped. So I looked into it. If he hit on every pick (as opposed to not hitting on really any, unless you count Nerlens Noel), the Sixers could have had this lineup (including their own draft picks):

Giannis/CJ McCollum/Jokic/LaVine/Randle/Porzingas. Or even Jah is a better fit in that lineup.  It has a potential generational star in Giannis, a shooting guard in CJ who is becoming an All-Star level player, two bangers, a stretch guy and an athletic freak starting to figure it out. I'd take that team.

I know this is all "hindsight drafting" but that's sorta how you live and die as a NBA GM, especially one who is doing everything they can to build via the draft.

The irony is Hinkie was on the look for franchise players when in reality he may have passed a few franchise players every year.

I have no idea if they are trolling.  Philadelphia sports blogs are filled with the dumbest people.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Poor, poor stupid Luke Walton

Lakers have nowhere to go but up.  And any improvement next season he's going to get the credit for.  Personally, I'm thrilled with the decision.  But yeah, this is definitely a sink-or-swim hiring. 

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Poor, poor stupid Luke Walton

The dude is a genius. He parlayed a babysitting gig with the greatest team ever in to a head coaching job for multiple years. He will literally never be a hotter commodity. This is like when the 9th man on an NBA champion leaves to sign with the Bucks for 3/31m. Sure, he's going to be terrible and he won't win any games, but you gotta take the cash when you can get it. People don't offer to pay you millions of dollars every day. 

• Like 6

The Lakers are going to be really good really quick.  It's true that everyone will have money to spend, but few will have Laker type of money. 

A bunch of rookie contracts + a top pick + Kobe's money off the books + cap raise = a couple superstars in LA.  It won't take long.

9 minutes ago, Jrag said:

The Lakers are going to be really good really quick.  It's true that everyone will have money to spend, but few will have Laker type of money. 

A bunch of rookie contracts + a top pick + Kobe's money off the books + cap raise = a couple superstars in LA.  It won't take long.

And also + A rising young coach.

For the Sixers tie-in: HAHAHAHAHA

They traded MCW for the Lakers pick. I can see why Hinkie talked himself into it. MCW isn't that good, and the Lakers pick has value if it vests and you nail the pick and/or flip it for something tangible. But there are variables to things. The most obvious variable is "It's the freakin' Lakers." If the Sixers don't get that pick this year, they're mot likely going to end up with something akin to a lateral move. MCW went 11th and if the Lakers get anything good in FA and/or Simmons (duh), they're going to end up in the lottery right around there.

Even better: The Sixers didn't have any sort of real plan in place to get a PG to replace MCW. So they played half a season without a NBA-caliber point guard, despite the only two players worth a NBA roster spot on the team both being bigs. And then the guy they ended up with was Ish Smith. And MCW's better than Ish Smith.

Just keeping MCW to start with is probably the better play in retrospect. Just because you can get better value on paper for a guy doesn't make it a good move, especially when you consider the other chess pieces on the board.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

And also + A rising young coach.

For the Sixers tie-in: HAHAHAHAHA

They traded MCW for the Lakers pick. I can see why Hinkie talked himself into it. MCW isn't that good, and the Lakers pick has value if it vests and you nail the pick and/or flip it for something tangible. But there are variables to things. The most obvious variable is "It's the freakin' Lakers." If the Sixers don't get that pick this year, they're mot likely going to end up with something akin to a lateral move. MCW went 11th and if the Lakers get anything good in FA and/or Simmons (duh), they're going to end up in the lottery right around there.

Even better: The Sixers didn't have any sort of real plan in place to get a PG to replace MCW. So they played half a season without a NBA-caliber point guard, despite the only two players worth a NBA roster spot on the team both being bigs. And then the guy they ended up with was Ish Smith. And MCW's better than Ish Smith.

Just keeping MCW to start with is probably the better play in retrospect. Just because you can get better value on paper for a guy doesn't make it a good move, especially when you consider the other chess pieces on the board.

Try explaining that to the Hinkie zombies.  

Hinkie had no plan in place to draft any position other than a center.