DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

So Bettman wrote a letter to congress denying CTE and decrying them for "misleading" people. Joey Ryan wishes he was as sleazy as Gary Bettman.

On July 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Death From Above said:

You also publicly declared you would quit watching the NHL when the Oilers won the draft lottery then probably hoped like hell no one would ever bring it up again.

I watched a grand total of 2 Blues games this year, so I held up on that one pretty good.

Was that even me? Can't remember.

I don't know where to put this, but here goes: there's a chance that I'll be in Calgary in October. 

The Hurricanes are scheduled to play the Flames on one of the days that I am going to be there.

How hard is getting a ticket? Is the arena friendly to a non-obnoxious fan sitting somewhere and cheering for his home team?

2 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

I don't know where to put this, but here goes: there's a chance that I'll be in Calgary in October. 

The Hurricanes are scheduled to play the Flames on one of the days that I am going to be there.

How hard is getting a ticket? Is the arena friendly to a non-obnoxious fan sitting somewhere and cheering for his home team?

If it's a midweek game odds are you should be able to get on the secondary market for significantly below face. I recall being on StubHub last season and seeing prices in numerous markets and being surprised how low some of them were and Calgary was one I noted in particular. As for the fans I don't think that will be a problem as it's not like you are a blood rival like the Oilers and Calgary isn't exactly Philly. Heck even Philly isn't that bad if you aren't one of their big rivals. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Oh totally. I'm super happy that he got an extension. 

Francis has remade the team this year. I hope our defense stays steady, and our forwards stay healthy. I think if Aho plays like we hope he can and Terovainen turns into the guy we hope he is we have a team that will challenge for a playoff spot in spite of our goaltending. 

18 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Even if you were an obnoxious Canucks or Oilers fan, I don't think you'd have that hard of a time. There always seems to be plenty of them there, anyway (the Nucks fans, especially). As a Canes fan, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

For tickets, you could also check out this app:

https://www.tiktiks.com/

I've never used it myself, and I don't know how prices compare to what you'd find on StubHub. But it's another option to look into.

• Like 1

Good Lord... Had Sportsnet on after the Jays game as background noise and the anchor jabroni host didn't even know how to pronounce "Essensa". Where the fuck do they find these people?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How good is Jagr?  I showed this video to someone over the weekend and explained a finer point to him.  When Jagr has the puck on his stick he does not push it forward.  He carries the puck in stride.  His puck control is amazing.  Don't pay attention to Jagr so much as you pay attention to the puck in relation to his stick and then his body.

• 2 weeks later...

Read Bobby Orr's book and I highly recommend it. His comments about overcoaching and systems stifling creativity and brilliance are spot on. If a Bobby Orr came along today I sadly think an awful lot of coaches would nail him to the bench for being too reckless and not making safe and conservative plays. I think it's the biggest problem the NHL has and is the prime reason most games are unwatchable dreck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the unlikely event any Isles rep lurks on these boards I'd like to let them know I still have yet to receive my tickets, which considering the first game is this Monday is sorta' important. Just saying...

I really hope Josh Ho-sang becomes a huge star because he is so much fun to watch. I hope he shatters the idea that players have to be boring colorless uncreative robots to succeed in the NHL. I want to see brilliance, skill and artistry, not overcoached unwatchable junk which is sadly what at least 90% of NHL games are at this point.